Note to New Members ×

When there's no snow...

mswebb

Wheels.......there are two basic shapes, round lip and hard lip and two basic urethanes, slidy and sticky. Race wheels have hard lips and sticky thane (Retro Zigs, Venom Canibals, Otang Inheats, Earthwing Smokers are examples). these tend to be more expensive and made from higher quality thane. Then there are the Freeride wheels which have slippery thane and rounded lips (Gravity Drifters, Hesher Snowballs, Venom Sidewinders, Abec11 freerides are examples) they are primarily designed for slide life, and tend to be less expensive (though not always) because you are going to destroy them pretty quickly. Next there are wheels that use a grippy shape but a slippery thane, Sometimes used for racing though more commonly used for highspeed freecarving/freeriding (Divine Touch, Abec11 Classic Zigs & Flashbacks, Phat Deans are good examples) they hold well in turns but are easier to slide than race wheels, basically go fast wheels for people who lack the Skills of a Kevin Reimer. Lastly there are the other side of freeride wheels sticky thane and rounded lips (Retro Freerides Metro Motion, Otang Stimulus/Durians are good examples) they tend to wear better than regular freeride wheels are usually more expensive. I'm not a fan of the slide as I consider it choppy though I have a set of Retro freerides for slippery garages....

I'm not a fan of the slide as I consider it choppy though I have a set of Retro freerides for slippery garages....

Thanks for the great read Gecko.

Would you clarify that last sentence? Are you saying you're not a fan of the last group of wheels you described (grippy, rounded)? :biggthump

Thanks for the great read Gecko.

Would you clarify that last sentence? Are you saying you're not a fan of the last group of wheels you described (grippy, rounded)? :biggthump

No not particularly they aren't very controllable compared to wheels with a driftier thane. In truth if I had to choose only one longboard wheel I would choose Abec11 Flashbacks they do everything well plus they are cheap

For a group of people so obsessed with carving on snow, why the fascination with sliding on concrete?

honestly if you are looking for the same feeling that you have carving a snowboard use a wheel that will allow you to drift. Race wheels will more times than not, throw you, probably painfully (that said I have drifted corners on sticky race wheels but I was also skating at 35-45mph. I have a nice speed/race board that I sadly don't ride much these days as I prefer my freeride board it just feels better.

No not particularly they aren't very controllable compared to wheels with a driftier thane. In truth if I had to choose only one longboard wheel I would choose Abec11 Flashbacks they do everything well plus they are cheap

honestly if you are looking for the same feeling that you have carving a snowboard use a wheel that will allow you to drift. Race wheels will more times than not, throw you, probably painfully (that said I have drifted corners on sticky race wheels but I was also skating at 35-45mph. I have a nice speed/race board that I sadly don't ride much these days as I prefer my freeride board it just feels better.

As someone who has ridden both at high level for over 30 years, I would respectfully disagree, unless of course you like to skid a lot on your Alpine board ;)

Anyway, each to their own... For me at least, carving on my Gecko GS board is the closest I can get to the same feeling on snow and definitely helps me maintain my skill level in the off season.

I like slalom skateboarding but I don't find it similar to snowboarding, the turns are much faster, tighter and no where near as smooth. In truth I like the option of a speed check....you have one on a snowboard you don't on a GS slalom board nor is there an easy speed check with sticky hard lipped (or for that matter softlipped lipped) wheels on a DH board. Nor should you that's not the intended purpose of either board, but how many people have your wiggle skills or for that matter Zak Matum's Wiggle and Downhill skills? The fact of the matter is most people who ride downhill boards would be better served with a wheel that allowed them the ability to drift and or slide when needed. I see way too many people go into turns faster than they should and have neither the skills to make the turn nor the wheels to alter their line in order to make the turn. It sucks to get taken out in a pack ride when the guy behind you highsides because his drift was choppy and he got bucked off. Conversely dropping into a hairpin with 4-5 other guys and drifting though laughing your a$$ off because everyone is so close together is a blast. I'm not talking about racing I'm too old and my body has too much milage to be competitive but I like to freeride; the OP's wheels aren't race wheels they are Otangs version of a freeride wheels which is, in my opinion and the opinion of many people, too much of a contradiction to work well for most people (even Reimer left Otang). My only sticky thane wheels are on my Mini and my Slalom deck. Everything else has more forgiving wheels

i was on o-tang durians in that video,

I always wonder about these words.

o-tang => is this word supposedly o as orang meaning man and tang as utan mean forrest so u read as orang utan

durians => as we all know as the stinky "juicy creamy" spiky fruit?

They (the wheel maker) must have been in Kalimantan/Borneo :biggthump

Thanks for sharing the vid....fortunate for us here in YVR snow still coming - Grouse Mt extend till May 15 and Blackcomb till end of May.

Cheers

RT

post-6136-141842344211_thumb.jpg

post-6136-141842344213_thumb.jpg