Note to New Members ×

Bike Stolen Last Week

utahcarver

It's been a week since my beloved cruiser-style bicycle was stolen. I had put it in my driveway up against the house before I went to bed and the next morning it was gone. I brilliantly decided to not lock it making me the smartest person without a bike now. It was made by Sun (South Korea)and is called a Drifter. Lightweight aluminum frame, dark gray, crank forward design, single speed. It wasn't an expensive bike to buy but, with the upgrades over the last 4 years, it was a great stylin' bike to cruise around town on. I used it to go back and forth to work and I had every expectation of using it this spring, summer, and fall.

The local police indicated that I may or may not get it back. So, I want to start doing some detective work on my own. Pawn shops, craigslist, e-bay, and local want ads. I'm fishing for other suggestions here. Anyone else had this happen to them and eventually get their bike back?

I'm tempted to just claim it on my homeowners insurance and get a heck of a nice new bike to commute with. But, I rather like the idea of a chase and I'd like to see this bike back in my hands (even if it is in worse shape).

Thanks!

Mark

post-101-141842344157_thumb.jpg

Sorry for your loss and I would want that bike back as well. I don't know how it is in your neighborhood but I used to live in a place where I'd offer $20 to all the local kids to figure it out. Generally a pretty successful tactic. This method helped me determine who carved bark off of one of my oaks, who stole my VW GTI wheels and who consistently tossed Bud Light cans into my yard on their way home (to be rid of evidence of drinking, I guess). Some other stuff that probably wasn't worth the reward money too.

Thanks, Dave! I will walk around the neighborhood tomorrow after school and work and pass out flyers with the pic of the bike and an offer of $25 dollars for a return of the bike. I've also posted reward offers on local websites classifieds. I offered $50 dollars for the bike returned in good condition AND an additional $25 dollars if the return included a prosecution and conviction of the person or persons who took the bike.

Thanks, again.

Mark

Thieves suck. Sorry to hear that.

I can only pray that they will loose it riding one handed down a hill and end up with a bike shoved into their scrotal and them against the pavement as cushioning for the paint job on the bike. Oh wait that's what happened to me when I was a kid, but it was my bike. God that hurt.

Good luck on getting it back. TGR maybe. Lots of maggots in N. Utah.

carvedog, I hope that don't happen, because the way things are in this country now, the thief would probably then sue utahcarver (specially IF it is a fixie) and end up owning his his house also.

Good Luck getting your ride back, I like dk's approach.

carvedog, I hope that don't happen, because the way things are in this country now, the thief would probably then sue utahcarver (specially IF it is a fixie) and end up owning his his house also.

It's almost true! I had to carefully word my ad so as not to appear to be creating a vigilante 'feel' to it. The first compositions of my STOLEN post in the local ads would not post and kept coming back for re-wording. I kept having to re-type and constrain my remarks. It was as though a Word Cop was working for the classified ads. By the end, all I could do was offer a reward for returning the bike and I was able to offer an additional reward for prosecution and conviction of the person who stole the bicycle. My guess is that the site(s) runs software that censors or constrains posts.

Mark

Ha!-Maybe if he had any tangible assets...Lawyers don't touch cases where they run the risk of making more in legal fees than the client takes home in damages. You guys need to work in professions that actually have legal entanglements as part of the job. Plus, every state has some sort of homestead act....

I vote for putting faith in greed-a $50 "finder's fee" is going to be more than the thief can get on Craig's List