Note to New Members ×

UPZ foam injectable liner questions...

WEBSIGHT360

I have just done a quick search on UPZ foam injectable liners on the forum, and did not come up with much. Has anyone here bought the UPZ foam injectable liners? What do you think of them? I have a tailors bunion on both feet that got worse with my new UPZ's this season. I did get the boots punched out, which relieved the problem to a certain extent on my right foot, but my left foot continues to give me some pain. I suspect I need to punch out the boot a little more yet, but also suspect that my foot is moving around a bit inside the boot, making the problem worse. I am wondering if the foam liners would help with this problem by doing a better job of locking my foot down in the boot. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've spent this season trying to dial in a new set of RC-10 boots. After about 30 days with them, I'm convinced a foam-injected is likely the only way to comfortably accommodate my EE wide foot, narrow heel, and odd boney bits.

I've had the shells punched and blown out in places which alleviates some pressure points, but as you allude to, this only creates more problems with increased movement.

Since our season in Southern Ontario is pretty much over now, I'm going to wait until next October or November to visit Surefoot in Killington. Hopefully throwing a few hundred bucks at a proper custom liner and orthotic is going to do it.

I'm also interested if anyone has any experience with the UPZ foam liner...

.. while the pain is fresh enough in your memory to a) motivate you to write the check and b) make sure the work addresses all the sore spots successfully. Take a board along to mount the boots in and thrash around in for awhile to see if the tender spots are going to be OK.

Does anyone know where to get these in BC? Do they cost more than intuition? I am riding with stock UPZ liners and they seem to have packed in very quickly. I have custom footbeds but still painful on the sides of my feet.

From the UPZ dealer in BC :) I don't know if Dan Yoja can get them or if it would be easier to go to Whistler and have Surefoot do up a set for you.

I get a slight amount of pain and I am going to try heat moldable liners next year, even though I had the shell "softly forced out" this winter already. They will also help with my Fintec cables too.

No I don't but the arches tend to drop in certain footwear and the orthodics feel great. The pain seems to be on the outside edge of the sole and only happens in these boots. I am very hesitant to alter the shell. I wonder if it a muscle strength thing.

I will email Dan and find out. Figured they had to be done in a shop hence the dumb question. :o

I was asking because I've got extremely flat fleet. Have the outside edge blown out. You can also go with a foam injected liner ($$$) or try a heat moldable. I used the Deeluxe 141 (~$200) from YYZCanuck in my UPZ RTRs. It worked well, but is over volume for the UPZ boot. By over volume I mean that any area that I had previously punched out I had to have punched out a second time. Using the heat moldables has removed all discomfort from my foot however. Going to a heat moldable over the stock UPZ liner substantially softened the UPZ RTR boot as well.

Don't worry about getting areas of your boots punched out. According to the guy who does my boot fitting (Vern at Sundance) they can also push areas back in.

As a bonus you're also in the lower mainland of BC I'm pretty sure you can find a reasonably competent boot fitter nearby to punch out your boots.

Dave

Dan said these are a special order item, available in september. I have friends who ski using this type of liner, and they all say how great they are. My feet are wide, and flat. I seem to only have an issue along the outside edge of my foot, at the widest point. Mostly on my left foot. I do have custom orthotics too. I am pretty sure I will be ordering a pair of these in september. I really like the boots otherwise, and I think they are a good boot for wide feet. Thanks for the input!

I like mine but the other brands available are better for sure but also cost two to four times as much

Injected liners require a great bootfitter, otherwise they will be ****ed.

Here's the thing though, if the shell does not work for you the liner may not help. if anything they eliminate most of the foot rolling and slip but also stiffen the boot dramatically if you're coming from a thermoflex type liner

Imagine your foot encased in sort of a hard plastic foam with no wiggle room

This is not the slipper type fit you get with other types of liners

For those with pain along the 'blade' of the foot:

To better plan your course of action, determine whether that part of your foot is being 'squeezed', or if that part of your foot is bearing the majority of your weight while riding/standing on the board.

Similar pain, different resolution.

For those with pain along the 'blade' of the foot:

To better plan your course of action, determine whether that part of your foot is being 'squeezed', or if that part of your foot is bearing the majority of your weight while riding/standing on the board.

Similar pain, different resolution.

Or combined, I guess?

I have wide fore and mid foot, but also tend to put pressure on the blade at certain methods of riding... With my regullar liners some pain sometimes occur. However, I tried some new, much fuller liners (yet maybe a tad less heelhold in them) and it was unbearable.

Anyways, liners aside... Your suggestions to correcct the foot support, or enhance the binding setup, to get rid of the excess pressure I induce from time to time?

Your suggestions to correcct the foot support, or enhance the binding setup, to get rid of the excess pressure I induce from time to time?

If your foot is not hitting plastic in the bare shell while standing on your footbed, then boot volume is probably not the problem. With the liner in the boot, and the boot buckled, does your foot/ankle feel at all twisted? If you invert and then evert your (unweighted) foot, and then relax, does the joint feel centered, or cocked to one side? If the latter, then you need to address cuff alignment and/or contouring, probably around the medial malleolus.

When you stand with feet parallel in the boots, on a hard flat surface, does it feel like you have solid footing, or does 'blade contact' show its face? If the latter, then you need to re-evaluate your foot support.

'Proper' foot support is not that easy to come by. Accounting for pedal joint stack can be rather involved, and requires the right materials, time, and knowledge.

For a quick test, stand on one bare foot on a hard level surface, head level, hands hanging, and evaluate the muscle activity in your lower leg/ankle/foot. Repeat standing on the footbed. The effort should be considerably reduced. Ideally, there should be almost no movement required to balance in this way. You can gradually stack business cards under your first met head and see if you can effect a change in effort. Your body will be sensitive to far less of a change than one card, but there is no need to get overzealous at this point.

You did not indicate if you felt pain in your front foot, rear foot, or both. Binding cant/lift/splay all affect how a foot is loaded.

As does preferred 'mode' of riding.

E.G., if you like to ride with a lot of knee flex, invariably you will load the forefoot disproportionately.

Taking into account that your mode of riding may need to pander to your supervisors, you should find two effective boot/binding configurations that work without pain and stick with them.

Check your email...