Note to New Members ×

I never knew

CarvPatrol

I've always wondered about not having a tailgunner. In the past I've seen some patrollers ripping it down the mountain with no one in behind. At least having someone behind would presumably regulate your speed a little better and be a little safer for everyone, no?

And wicked pic of BDD!

each Area is different I guess. We have to have a tail gunner all the time as a safety in case the driver takes a spill. It is kind of redundant on some of the cat tracks but that is what the ski area wants us to do so we do it. Although we do have a few hot dogs on the patrol that keep the chain up dont use a tail gunner.

We normally run with a tail rope too. Chain up or down depending on conditions. We have some longish flats that are hell even with the chain up. The tail roper comes in really handy here, they can whip you and help keep the speed up.

________

Medicalmarijuanadispensaries.Org

I saw you riding at Timberline last Saturday...

Hope I didn't look too bad! Conditions were great for carving on Saturday morning. Stop in to the top shack and ask for Darren if you are up there. Always up for taking a run. I'm not going to be on my usual board this weekend. I broke my Donek Axis :( on Saturday so I switched to my tele skis in the afternoon. I'll probably be on my Volkl RT if the conditions are ok. Otherwise I'll just tele ski.

________

Zoloft settlement information

Hope I didn't look too bad! Conditions were great for carving on Saturday morning. Stop in to the top shack and ask for Darren if you are up there. Always up for taking a run. I'm not going to be on my usual board this weekend. I broke my Donek Axis :( on Saturday so I switched to my tele skis in the afternoon. I'll probably be on my Volkl RT if the conditions are ok. Otherwise I'll just tele ski.

I wish I looked as good :(. How did the Axis break?

I appreciate the offer, but due to not being very good, I'm always hesitant to ride with other people. Yeah, it's kind of a chick reason not to, but there you go.

Saturday morning was surprisingly good, and once I switched over to my alpine setup I sent the rest of the day on Silver Streak. I wasn't planning on driving out there this weekend, since it looks like it'll be straight slush.

I wish I looked as good :(. How did the Axis break?

I appreciate the offer, but due to not being very good, I'm always hesitant to ride with other people. Yeah, it's kind of a chick reason not to, but there you go.

Saturday morning was surprisingly good, and once I switched over to my alpine setup I sent the rest of the day on Silver Streak. I wasn't planning on driving out there this weekend, since it looks like it'll be straight slush.

We all have to start somewhere, I'd be happy to ride with you. I'm sure Phil would too if he's not teaching.

The rear insert pack/core is pulling out. That board was built around 2005 and I've had it for around 4 years. Its lived a rough life and doesn't owe me a thing. I really loved that board, I'll be replacing it with a new Axxess in the same length this summer. Probably a little stiffer since I'm around 265 geared up, a bit heavy for the stock build I guess.

1219415800_78w84-L.jpg

________

Web Shows

my (recently killed) donek shows a similar pulling of inserts (a bit more subtle). no idea if this was happening prior (and possibly contributing) to the nose folding or vice versa, but it does make me question the designed handling of the plate binding point loads. perhaps the interface should be designed differently to help distribute the loads better. seems to be an inherent weakness that not too uncommonly breaks boards. hmmm...

d6f68e40.jpg

Hello BoL friends and fellow patrollers. I appreciate the observations and comments on the pic. Always great for discussion. Also appreciate the recognition that procedures do vary from hill to hill/patrol to patrol.

In this picture, we have just came down a steep icey stretch and are stopped to transfer the sled to the snow machine(chain back up and handles unlocked) to make the trip down the gentle slope and cat track faster. Although our patrol does NOT run snow machines, management is very willing to help when they are available...saving us the long skate and tail rope pull to the first aid room. We sit on the back facing the sled, hanging on to the handles with the handle rope over the back rest of the seat...and will still usually keep the tail rope guy on for the "just in case".

On our patrol, the handle rope is optional, but encouraged for newbies. As mentioned, it is best used to secure the handles to the sled when uploading. Chain use is also optional depending on slope and surface conditions. I most always run with the chain down. I find it much easier and I think safer, to feather weight against the chain drag than have a loaded sled pushing me down the hill especially since my legs aren't as young as they use to be. I've run alot of sleds over the 20 years on patrol and have taught snowboarding candidates S&T for the past 8 years. I take the precautions...can always be an unexpected event. Tail rope is required for basic patrollers, optional for Sr. patrollers. I have the option to run without, but will always request someone if we have the help...for obvious safety reasons, (we get a few cowboys who run solo and without a chain too YaHooo) and it gives someone else the opportunity for more experience...the greatest teacher!!

National Ski Patrol has been alot of fun. Over the years I have has opportunity to work with alot of great people who I can also call my friends. It is a great service to the skiing/snowboarding public. Kellycanyon is a beginer/intermediate slope. Soft snow years we may record less than 200 injuries, hardpack/ice years we've seen more than 400. Iv'e taken care of a metal sliver (from the edge of her ski) stuck in the finger of a 9 year old racer, to kneeling over a guy in cardiac arrest coming down the hill in the sed doing chest compressions, and a whole aray of things in between, and through it all,,big and small, I just hope trying to do my best will still be enough.

So ,,,guys and gals,,,fellow patrollers ,,enjoy and make the best of your time on your patrol and on your mountain,,,,IT,S ALL GOOD!!!

Kimo,,,no offense taken,,,I would have been the big ugly stinky guy arriving next at your accident. It does remind me of something that happened to me a couple years ago. I was patrolling and rode up the lift with a woman who right off started saying that last time she was up at the hill , she saw a patroller with a long blonde pony tail and she was such a great snowboarder,,,really talking this patroller gal up,,,I'm running thru my head what female patrollers we have with long blonde pony tails,,,,AND WE HAVE NONE!!...I graciously accepted the compliment..on behalf of the patrol,,,but wanted to ask if this gal by chance wore a full face beard??

Hope you are mending quickly...be well!!!