Note to New Members ×

Technique Question - getting lower

Corey

I think that while you are going across the fall line the only things that should be happening is that you are in the pulling part of the sequence and maybe letting the board run a bit if you need to pick up speed.

Unfortunately the only steep runs I have are also quite narrow. I have to nail the transition to keep a small margin of error to the trees on either side. Usually there's a good 100cm overlap in my trenches. That keeps me somewhat rushed for time while crossing the fall line. ;)

Did I mention this is all very nice feedback? ;) Thanks again to all! I've got a plan for my next day on the snow:

1. Work out a full rotation through the heelside turn on gentler slopes to get the feeling burned in muscle memory

2. Stay stacked up over the topsheet like my toesides

3. Nail an early and hard toe-to-heel transition, with my center of gravity going downhill of the edge as early as possible

4. Huck it with abandon, planning to fall on my butt a number of times

Sadly I have a sick daughter and I'm getting it too, so it won't be this weekend. Damn, a new Coiler and some fun stuff to play with, and no way to do it... :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, thanks to all for the excellent tips! :D

I had a pretty good day on Saturday trying to follow the above guidelines. Getting the timing of the rotation is definitely key. If you have too much rotational inertia going into the early part of the turn I found it's very easy to pull the tail up and out of the carve. You then pivot around the nose quickly and skid out. I also struggled a bit with skidding out on fairly hard snow until I did less dramatic push-pull motions. Really hucking my center of gravity down the fall line was a big help too. It meant a few slams until I developed the technique to get the board to catch me, but it wasn't long before it felt as natural as it already did on toesides.

Heelside turns start feeling a lot more like toesides when rotated. My only issue was over uneven terrain where I felt like bump absorption was compromised a bit. Fully laid out turns just weren't happening in either direction on this day, but my turns were much more symmetrical than they've ever been.

I got some video footage from my helmet cam, I'll try to post it tonight or tomorrow. Overall, I'm happy with my progression over just one day but obviously need a lot more practice to be competent in this style of riding.

Congrats, wish I could progress as quick as you do.

Things you can work on later is simplicity and fluidity of movement, ie no flailing arms during transition, arm placement in mid turns etc...something Patrice and Jacques excel at and I think why their videos are beautiful to look at.