Note to New Members ×

This weekend!

starcarver

Heading to Mammoth this weekend...

Free Staples Center Ski Junket for VIP Season Ticket holders!!! Driving up Friday, ski ride Sat, Sun snowmobiling or more sliding.

Free rentals, lodging, transport, lessons, and then snowmobiling.

Too bad my ankle is weak.

I may actually learn to ski super sidecut skis just so I won't use my calves and ankle much if I can not snowboard.

...or its me and the GF on easy runs as she is learning to snowboard.

So what trails are people hitting.. or what apres ski place?

We keep missing each other man. I was just there this past weekend, and am planning on heading up after this coming weekend.

Hit the backside (13, 14) or lap 25 for some relatively uncrowded good groom.

Apres at Whiskey Creek early (gets crowded), or if you want LA in MMSA go to Hyde :barf:

:)

We keep missing each other man. I was just there this past weekend, and am planning on heading up after this coming weekend.

Hit the backside (13, 14) or lap 25 for some relatively uncrowded good groom.

Apres at Whiskey Creek early (gets crowded), or if you want LA in MMSA go to Hyde :barf:

:)

Even worse... nekdut...... much worse.. sprained ankle made me into a S.P.O.R.E. (Stupid people on rental equipment) since Staples center covered lessons and rentals I rented brand new skis for free and got a free private lesson. Of course,, the ski instructor wasn't crazy about snowboarders....didn't understand them...and went on to say that people don't snowboard after 50 years old... (hmmm I better get ready to turn all my boards into wall hangers).

I skied a little before snowboarding existed (perhaps 10-20 days + forced to ski at Loon Mountain when the "snowboard certifiers" were not there) )..., and hadn't been in ski boots since other than teaching kids at Wachusett to ski with super dull kiddie ski 110cm skis's clipped onto my Nordica TR-9/ SBH's.

Skiing K2 super sidecut skis (funny as they had the Madd butterfly carbon top sheet!) It was like snowboarding with two snowboards strapped to hardboots that were too stiff while having to carry two nearly useless sticks around all day,,, oh yeah.. the carving wasn't anywhere near the rush. Great instructor though.. got me up and running with his own drills- did top to bottom and everything in between. I actually was able to carve and get low for long radius turns. Short radius cross unders were incredibly smooth and simple. But I did feel like I was controlling mostly the foot platform..and not running the whole ski. I was tracking laying railroad track without entry skidding and my ankle was protected in the hard boot.

So you would think it would be an interesting challenge... but for the most part.

.. skiing was like reading TV guide..the magazine you only pickup when there is nothing else to read. Everything seems like much more fun on a board. Batter than reading nothing... for lack of nothing else to do. (hey but that's just after 1 day- I know many people on this forum do both- but I really see the fun factor massively diminished.)

The snowboarders on the lift got a kick out of hearing my thoughts on it, as some of them were thinking about getting back on skis- but their fears of boredom were confirmed. One said - who had done the same thing earlier the same season "kkkkkinda brings out your inner lllloser".

but as I said for many it is fun as as fun as carving..just not for me personally.

Oddly our superbowl party is at Hyde, I better borrow a Bogner outfit...lol..