Note to New Members ×

Straightliner not charged?

dano

I am not sure what your point is with this statement.

Once you actually have kids it strikes a whole different vein when someone elses kid dies. It's a bad place to be. I'm not on a high horse. Just a crazy parent.

You are missing the point that straightlining on a spoonboard at 60 mph on an run with other people on it is crazy and selfish. At that speed even if the hidden parties were moving at a normal clip they would still be hit. If he was a bit sloer I would blame both parties.

Yes I avoid morons like this all day long, as we all do, but I would not go 50 or 60 MPH on a run with other people on it.

Poach a closed trail, do backcountry, or become a downhill racer if you want to go that fast...why risk ruining someone elses life for a speed rush?

Once you actually have kids it strikes a whole different vein when someone elses kid dies. It's a bad place to be. I'm not on a high horse. Just a crazy parent.

You are missing the point that straightlining on a spoonboard at 60 mph on an run with other people on it is crazy and selfish. At that speed even if the hidden parties were moving at a normal clip they would still be hit. If he was a bit sloer I would blame both parties.

Yes I avoid morons like this all day long, as we all do, but I would not go 50 or 60 MPH on a run with other people on it.

Poach a closed trail, do backcountry, or become a downhill racer if you want to go that fast...why risk ruining someone elses life for a speed rush?

I don't think that advocating poaching closed trails is the proper thing to do...

As for him going 60, I doubt it. 40 is more likely, as getting up to 60 is pretty difficult for your average snowboarder. Witnesses claimed he was in control, so speed wasn't the only factor here.

...As for him going 60, I doubt it. 40 is more likely, as getting up to 60 is pretty difficult for your average snowboarder. Witnesses claimed he was in control, so speed wasn't the only factor here.
dittos.

I saw no mention of the straightliner passing through a timing trap. those estimates are just the estimates of wittnesses who no doubt, just like the vast majority of folks, couldn't estimate the speed of a rider, skiier, or even themselves to within 20 mph as they slide down the hill. I also think that most folks have no idea just how fast 40 mph on a snowboard is, or just how serious slaming into a stationary object/person at those speeds is.

As was already mentioned, it was a horrible day for all involved. to unearth the sraightliner's body for burning at the stake is as redickulous as the thought that anyone not laying total blame on him is encouraging folks to repeat his final performance :freak3:

and yes, I am a parent that has in the past laid several 'Jack-Attacks' on straightliners' for their boneheadedness. I've also utilized many 'teaching-moments' to express the importance of getting oneself out of the way of oncoming traffic ASAP when stopping to chat, collecting yard-sale items after a crash, or even fixing a flat on the road while traveling to the hill.

It is the person uphill responsability to know what is in front of them. If you are going over a blind knoll, you should check your speed and make sure it is clear. If I ever jump off of a cat walk crossing a run, I will usually have a spotter or slow down to make sure it is open. I never go over a blind spot full bore without knowing it is clear. And yes, no one should stop under a blind spot either.

What QQ said. Stay close to them and back them up and run interference for them lest they be steamrolled. My 8 year old likes to just cruise around all relaxed and I do everything I can to protect her. When I do let her go well ahead of me, it's when I am sure that the crowd is really sparse and I don't see any obvious perps on the horizon. I think I can see them coming, but I can be conned.

dittos.

I saw no mention of the straightliner passing through a timing trap. those estimates are just the estimates of wittnesses who no doubt, just like the vast majority of folks, couldn't estimate the speed of a rider, skiier, or even themselves to within 20 mph as they slide down the hill. I also think that most folks have no idea just how fast 40 mph on a snowboard is, or just how serious slaming into a stationary object/person at those speeds is.

As was already mentioned, it was a horrible day for all involved. to unearth the sraightliner's body for burning at the stake is as redickulous as the thought that anyone not laying total blame on him is encouraging folks to repeat his final performance :freak3:

and yes, I am a parent that has in the past laid several 'Jack-Attacks' on straightliners' for their boneheadedness. I've also utilized many 'teaching-moments' to express the importance of getting oneself out of the way of oncoming traffic ASAP when stopping to chat, collecting yard-sale items after a crash, or even fixing a flat on the road while traveling to the hill.

They hit people going slow too, not just stopped.

They hit people going slow too, not just stopped.

deadhorse, sure... but beat it I will.

1. Not 100%, as you claim, but I already agree that the 'straightliner' shared fault.

2. the linked artical quotes wittnesses who said while riding fast, he was in control.

3. quite a few folks here already agree that folks loitering outta sight under headwalls & rollers present not just a risk to themselves, but also to others.

4. if you, yours, or anyone you see goes down in such a spot, educate them as to the hazardous situation they're in/present while helping to clear them out of it if you dare.

5. folks traversing trails at speed, locked on the edge (carving), rather then 'fall-line' skiing/riding, hit & are hit by folks too

6. What you doing on a black diamond run with training wheels?

7. I bet a number of folks even get hurt every years while 'snowboarding' on Wii & PS3

8. eat right, get plenty of exercise, get plenty of sleep and die anyway.

:lurk:

It is the person uphill responsability to know what is in front of them. If you are going over a blind knoll, you should check your speed and make sure it is clear. If I ever jump off of a cat walk crossing a run, I will usually have a spotter or slow down to make sure it is open. I never go over a blind spot full bore without knowing it is clear. And yes, no one should stop under a blind spot either.

100% right. But may be the little girl was fallen right behind the roller. I don't understand straightliners who take such risks not seeing what is happening in front of them. It was a 100% fault and responsibilty of the snowboarder here. If you can't oversee the situation for 101% just stop or slow down.

Tragic accident though, no matter who's fault it was.

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/insidefis/fisgeneralrules/10fisrules.html

Both at fault in one way or another. Bottomline tho.....

Straightlining on a popsicle stick on anything but a closed course is negligent.:mad:

Its hard enough to control a good alpine board with sharp edges at those speeds, A park board with half the edges ground smooth has no chance of stopping or avoiding accident when the unforeseen happens.

That said, I always run interference for my kids by staying up hill and watching their six like an eagle. IF you straightline into my area you are gonna end up in a heap after launching off my shoulder pads NFL open field style. act negligently around me and endanger my children and I will treat you like a common mugger.:AR15firin