Note to New Members ×

Hardboot lessons at Powder Mountain and Snowbasin

Buell

Don Richter (noschoolrider on BOL) will be offering private and group lessons the Ogden Valley (Snowbasin and Powder Mountain) area in mid to late January. Don is a certified AASI Level 3 Snowboard Instructor and USASA Coach, and an exceptional hardboot and softboot rider and competitor. His website lists a few of his accomplishments. Just last year he won his division at USASA Nationals and the NASTAR overall, non-skier division. He's happy to teach all levels and snowboard skills.

His rates are very reasonable.

He's shooting for a good carving weather window, so the exact dates won't be certain until we see the forecast. Get in touch with me or him soon - the carvers who have seen him ride on previous visits have already booked a lot of his time!

Schedule update:

There is a Monday 2-4 PM slot at Powder Mountain available.

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday are fully booked.

Don is racing the USASA races at Wolf Mountain on Friday.

Saturday is a possible teaching days if there is decent weather

I sent him a message. I'm in need of getting my USASA coach certification. See if he can offer that. (PCMR had a clinic last year but I couldn't make it; nothing offered this year, so far.) Thanks for this post, Buell. ;)

I sent Don an email about your post just to make sure. He is racing this weekend at a Mt Bachelor USASA event. I am sure he will respond as quickly as possible.

I sent him a message. I'm in need of getting my USASA coach certification. See if he can offer that. (PCMR had a clinic last year but I couldn't make it; nothing offered this year, so far.) Thanks for this post, Buell. ;)

Hi Jeff,

I just sent you a reply to your email regarding USASA coach certification clinics.

Please let me know if you do not receive it.

It would be great to ride with you and Will when I come to Utah.

Don Richter

Hi Jeff,

I just sent you a reply to your email regarding USASA coach certification clinics.

Please let me know if you do not receive it.

It would be great to ride with you and Will when I come to Utah.

Don Richter

I would love to get some info too Don, if I can! Very excited, I am actually teaching my first Alpine lesson of the season next week (800hrs of soft boot lessons last season!), lets change the world, one carve at a time!

Thanks

I would love to get some info too Don, if I can! Very excited, I am actually teaching my first Alpine lesson of the season next week (800hrs of soft boot lessons last season!), lets change the world, one carve at a time!

Thanks

Hi Martin (Emdee406),

As Jeff mentioned, I am not authorized to provide USASA coach certification. The Intermountain Division (Utah) is supposed to hold a USASA coach certification clinic this season, but the date has not been announced. The other information I sent Jeff included Jon Casson’s contact email address for coach clinic inquiries which can be found at http://usasa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=94&Itemid=319

I can tell you are passionate about teaching and I’m glad to hear that you’re teaching a hard boot lesson next week. I still love to surf powder and carve turns in soft boots, but the power and precision of hard boot riding is so enticing and addictive. I was at a USASA slalom race today and three soft boot riders who were watching me race asked me to teach them to ride hard boots and coach them for SL and GS. That, and having sunshine and hard pack for racing made for a perfect day. Keep the great attitude... whether you’re free-carving or racing – you’re an ambassador of hard boot riding!

we should all get together when he's here.

That would be so much fun! :biggthump

Buell/Dan:

Thank you for posting this. Please do keep us in the loop.

I will be in Utah January 22 - 28, 2011 with a group.

Our schdule is

2 days in Powder Mountain

1 day Snowbasin

1 day snowbird

1 day park city

Keeping my finger cross that the stars will line up :)

Thanks

David

Buell/Dan:

Our schdule is

1 day Snowbasin

1 day snowbird

1 day park city

Thanks

David

David, if you'd like some local company/knowledge for a few runs@ PC, let me know and I'll grab the Kessler and try to slip away from teaching!

Yes, that was me. Kwik Draw was too soft yesterday so it got marked up pretty good. The grooming has been erratic but seems to be better now.

Today was firmer, but there were moments the light was so flat I could not define the edge of the run. I left for safer terrain. Sidewinder had much better light and great grooming.

I bet it was cold last night.

Buell/Dan:

Our schdule is

1 day Snowbasin

1 day snowbird

1 day park city

Thanks

David

David, PM/email sent seeking more information about your schedule.

Thanks, Buell

Don is scheduled to begin teaching lessons this Monday 1/24.

At the moment, the schedule is full on Monday through Wednesday. Thursday and Friday likely have a couple of 2 hour lesson slots remaining, weather dependent.

Let me know soon, if interested.

pow4ever, I sent you an email about your lesson time. We are looking forward to meeting you.

Thanks, Buell

Update:

Monday was a great day, full of lessons and stoked students!

Tuesday turned out to be snowy with poor visibility. Lessons were moved to other days.

Wednesday was an amazing day at Basin.

Thursday is booked.

Don is racing the USASA races at Wolf Mountain on Friday.

Saturday is Don's last day teaching and is booked.

We will try to get him back next year. Thanks to everyone who signed up for lessons and a big thanks to Don for making the trip to Utah! :biggthump