2011 Ride Thread

CaRtharsis

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did all the snow go? This is really too sad :(

Tabby,

Stop looking at your driveway (the garage roof gets in the way of the snowfall) and check out the current snow reports! There is snow out there!!!

To put that in perspective, I have been out riding for four of the last five days. Here is a brief "ride report."

Sat: CF was AWESOME after the rain. The groomer did a great job laying out acres of firm cord. Moreover, NO ONE was there Sat AM. I had a great morning carving up the slopes before the conditions gradually deteriorated.

Sun: Off to MT where I met up with Ian & Chris. While conditions were variable; lots of death cookies on top, particularly on the north side runs, the lower slopes were in pretty good shape. The most important note is that there was LOTS of snow ... and no bare spots. Unless a lot of rain falls at Tremblant, I think they will be in good shape right up to their closing date in mid-April.

Tue: Rode CF again in the evening. While there were a few icy patches (I crashed once while trying to get big lean angles), again, all the runs had good coverage and there was a enough corn snow to make it interesting. The best part for me was the time change. Sunset was 7:05 that night. I arrived early and rode for a couple of hours "in the evening" (after 4 PM) in bright sunshine. The definition on the snow was terrific.

Wed: Last night I took advantage of the Hottie pass (Thx T) and rode a few runs with Chris. The snow was amazing! It was soft enough to easily stick an edge in and leave good trenches but was not so soft as to be soupy. I had a blast!

So for all of you other Ottawan riders pouting at home, I say get out and ride! :)

MSLM has been sweet too. Yesterday was slushy but empty and sunny. Today was much faster and firmer and emptier. My son saw a group of 6 or 7 carvers but I never saw them...saw a couple guys on Coilers do few runs under the main 6 man lift but could not sync up..Am riding tomorrow there too, -8 tonight, should be hard and fast tomorrow..Probably Pakenham Sunday AM if we head back tomorrow night.

//Paul

S - MSLM has some sweet runs and some fantastic riders; bet one of the people on a Coiler was Bruce (that is his home hill). Let us know if you do make it back tonight - will see about getting to Pakenham for a few hours tomorrow morning :-)

Trying to pack in a few more days

Note: I was talking to the people at Vorlage the other night and they indicated that they believe that night skiing is over for the year, unless the weather does something extrodinary! Check with the local hills before you head outy next week.

Thanks for the heads-up re: Night passes turning into day passes at Vorlage. I went up for 9am ... Ski Patrol beat me up the chair lift, but I beat them down! :lol:

It was hard pack and empty, apart from the occasional patch of glare ice or running river across the trail, it was a wonderful way to spend a Sunday morning.

Skiez pour 1$...

...Oui, vous lisez bien. Pour seulement 1$, vous pouvez skier toute la journée jeudi, le 24 mars au Mont Ste-Marie. Nous célébrons une excellente saison de ski et invitons tous de venir bénéficier de ce spécial jamais vu. Dite-le à vos amis et venez skier Mont Ste-Marie ce jeudi, 24 mars pour le meilleur ski de printemps à seulement 1$ !

Thinking of heading to MSM on Thursday to enjoy the $1 skiing. THis is not on their site but in an email recieved by a colleague.

Thoughts.....?

^ Wow, is that ever tempting. I don't think that I can get it off work, but if things change, I'll let you know!

I followed Chris's advice and rode Cascades on Sunday, and it was amazing. Cold, hard snow and warm sun! Didn't get on snow until almost 10am (no rush... it had frozen the night before) but the place was DESERTED... to the degree that it was creepy. The riding was very firm and fast, and I was having a blast with all of those snow guns to slalom and rollers to air off of. :eplus2:

That's the second time I've ridden there, and I'm considering purchasing a night pass there next year instead of Vorlage. There is more accessible steep terrain at Cascades by a fair bit, and any height difference is marginal. Plus, I hear they have quite the disco.. and you know I'm all about that. :rolleyes:

The only patchiness was only the steep run on the far side which faces south. The rest of the hill should easily be good until next weekend, maybe the one after. Long live sliding!

I am looking at day tripping Tremblant this Friday the 25th. So far it's just me with Andy (planker) tentative.

I am also planning on heading up next week from Mon 28th to Thursday 31st with my 10 year old son for three nights.

$150 for the rest of year (till April 11th).....can't beat that!

//Paul

I'm heading up tomorrow afternoon for 4 nights at least. Phil and Andy are thinking of coming up Tues-Wed for a night.

Please post a conditions report tonight if you can!

Pakenham is closing tomorrow despite having all runs open and as good conditions/coverage as it's been all year:confused:.

//Paul

^ Paul, conditions today at MT were very good. Coverage on the north side (that's where we rode all day) is still 100%. The day started with very firm granular and then got scraped down to ice in most spots by mid day. The weather will be a little warmer tomorrow, so the sun may soften it up for you. It was fairly busy today too, but Sundays are usually quieter I think.

I didn't mind the ice as I was two-planking... tried two last pairs of skis and believe I've chosen some Kastle's - really interesting, outstanding handling. Passed so many people today..:eplus2:

Hi folks,

I just returned from a stunning four-day WE at Mt Ste Anne and Le Massif. I was expecting some spring riding conditions but the temps stayed consistently below zero. As a result, we (four of us) experienced superb mid-winter conditions four days running. Driving east on Thursday afternoon, there was little snow in the fields from Ottawa to Trois Rivieres, however at Quebec City, the remaining natural snow was noticeably greater. That, combined with good grooming at both resorts meant that there was good corduroy for the first couple of hours on the weekend days. Then, on Monday, there was so little traffic, I was still finding untracked sections of cord early in the afternoon!

<O:p</O:p

Mt Ste Anne still remains my fav resort in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:City w:st=Ottawa</st1:City> to <st1:City w:st=" /><st1:State w:st="on"><ST1:pQuebec</ST1:p</st1:State> due to its abundance of varied terrain and that it has several great cruising runs for carving. Le Massif is moving up on my list fast, though. I discovered more good carving runs and the new gondola is amazing. I love that the mountain top chalet only serves good food – nary a poutine or hamburger to be seen on their menu! Also, I finally went to their creperie (only open WEs) for lunch at the top of the <ST1:p<st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Camp</st1:PlaceType> <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Boule</st1:PlaceName></ST1:p lift. That was a real treat as well.

This weekend, 1-3 Apr, I am off to Mt Tremblant again (Fri-Sun inclusive). If anyone is contemplating riding the big mountain, please let me know and we can meet under the “traffic lights” outside the Manitou.

Sun, 10 Apr is also under consideration.

-Brian

Hi folks,

I spent ther last three days at Mt Tremblant. Conditions were great for this time of the year with the majority of runs being open. Groomed runs were very hard in the morning as the temps dropped well below zero every night, then progressively warmed up throughout the day so that by late morning the corn snow was starting to develop.

I am tentatively planning to be there next Sunday again if anyone wants to RV at MT.

-Brian

Hi Brian,

I did Mon-Thurs last week and it was the same conditions. Mornings were Feb. like conditions and ridiculously fast:lol:.

I grabbed the spring pass last week and was hoping to go Fri-Sun to finish it out. Worst case I am day tripping this weekend. I'll let you know as I get closer to the weekend.

//Paul

• 4 weeks later...