Note to New Members ×

2011 Ride Thread

CaRtharsis

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi folks,

I just returned from a week of riding (and skiing) at Mt Ste Anne and Le Massif. When we first arrived, the snow depth was comparable to local conditions, however, it snowed three days straight, so by week's end conditions had improved noticablely ;).

On the downside, there was a serious bout of stomach flu going around the local area so I missed a whole day of riding due to :barf: (Yep, always wanted to use that icon...) It was the first time in a decade of going to Ste Anne de Beaupré that I did not get out every day. Even on the next day of riding, I was planning my runs to ensure I was never too far away from one of the chalets....

The big news I have for any prospective winter vacationers is that Le Massif just keeps getting better!!!! M. Laliberte (of Cirque de Soleil fame and fortune) has bought the resort and has a plan to pump in $230M worth of developments. The first, and most visible $50M, is already there. As of Jan 2011, Le Massif opened up a new 8 pax gondola. The cabins are taller and wider that those found at MT & MSA. Moreover, all the sides are made of plexiglass from floor to ceiling so the view is wonderful! The final bonus is that they opened up a few more feet of vertical at the bottom of the mtn when they built this puppy. LM's vertical (tallest in QC) is now 2526', ~300' better than MT or MSA. Whoo haaa! :lol:

It was so impressive that The Vivacious Redhead told me that we were returning to MSA & LM ASAP. Having checked the school break calendar, I was informed that we would be making a long WE (3-4 days) out of the last WE in March so if anyone else in interested, lemme know and I can give you some details on the best places to stay and the best ticket prices available.

-Brian

Hey guys,

Here's a link to some footage and photos from the recent Maine trip that Chris and I took. Check it out!

I had crazy fun carving at Calabogie yesterday; ended up only having 2 hours of lessons and the snow was MINT. Was able to carve down the steep face there thanks to my training at Sugarloaf!

Even crazier though, I tried skiing today there with my family... it felt so so ALIEN. (It has been about 15 years since I skied) However, in a few runs, I was able to start carving quite decently on the rental skis! It kind of blew my mind how much fun I had, and made me consider making skiing my 'plan b' sport instead of soft-boot snowboarding. Don't worry though; carving boards remain TOPS. :D

Since many of you have a lot of experience, can you make an assessment in regards to the conditions tonight? I'd like to get out, but I'm worried about a crap night on ice.

I'm not sure... it cooled early in the afternoon, so maybe it was hard enough by grooming time for it to get broken up. The only way to know for sure is to go for a drive.

If it's not rideable, take yourself out for a nice dinner instead. :biggthump

Vorlage is claiming 11cm of snow in the last 24hours along with Machine Groomed Powder ... if you check the weather for Chelsea on the Environment Canada website, they say that there was snow-fall last night after the rain.

Last night I removed (shoveled) over 3foot of snow from my deck, there was only a tiny crust of ice on top of a lot of light snow. Granted the roads are a mess and my driveway is more skateable than the Rideau Canal, but I don't actually think there was that much rain yesterday.

Not sure if that helps your decision making, but I will be at Vorlage tonight. I figure it is tonight or next week based on the weather. If it is ice-cookie hell, then I will have hot chocolate and head home early.

Just got back from an evening at Vorlage. The fantastic news was that it was EMPTY. The not so good news was that there were a few grooming issues. No death-cookies, but a few terraces, which ran in line with the direction I usually wanted to go, but were still a hazard when smoking into the lift-line. Learning for the day; speed is your friend and you can actually jump a carving board if you stay relaxed!

Long story short - it was FANTASTIC and fast hard pack. Once you knew the pot-holes everything was fine. They are not expecting rain at Vorlage till Friday - so it should hold for a few days.

I might have lured another punk over to the dark side. My friend JP rented ski-boots, and set up my spare board (the short one) and loved it. Kept asking me how much boots are! I really couldn't "teach" him - but I think he was happy just trying it and feeling the rush. Have told him to log on here and try and set up a meeting with some of you for some real guidance.

Slowly converting the masses :)

Nice stuff, Ian!

It looks like you guys had a great WE of riding - with good snow conditions to boot! (pun intended)

I was really impressed how clear your video was compared to some of the other bump and jerk stuff that people post on You Tube.

See you at MSM next Fri. I already have my lift tix in hand :eplus2:.

Brian

Hello Ottawa crew...

Anybody hitting any hills on the Quebec side? I am planning to go to Vorlage on Thurs... or sometime next week? would be great to meet some of you...

Unfortunately, can't make it to MSM this week as I have the carry the pager this week :mad:

I usually go to Edelweiss.. but need a change...would be great to carve with other people and share my addiction :eplus2:

Cheers

Serge - sorry you will not be able to join us on Friday. I usually head to Vorlage, but plan on being at Cascade tomorrow (Wednesday). Next week I hope to head out on Tuesday and / or Thursday to Vorlage. Hope to see you on the slopes soon (before the ice melts!)

Anyone else interested in Cascade tomorrow?

Anybody hitting any hills on the Quebec side? I am planning to go to Vorlage on Thurs... or sometime next week? would be great to meet some of you...

Hey Serge, sorry you can't make Friday :( I'll be out at Vorlage tomorrow night as usual, and then away next week.

Cheers!