Note to New Members ×

2011 Ride Thread

CaRtharsis

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed my once-a-decade visit to Vorlage more than I expected. It was good to catch up with some of the carving community in Ottawa.

If you would like to catch up with me here is the majority of dates I plan to be on the snow:

Every Sat at CF for the rest of the season except 5 Feb. I will be at the head of the lift line at 8:29 since I have reserved the first hour of my day for freecarving. ;)

I plan to be at Mt Tremblant on the following Sundays; Jan 30, Feb 27, Mar 6, 13, 20, 27. I will likely be there on these Fris as well; 28 Jan, Mar 25 and 1 Apr. I always have an empty back seat if you are looking for a ride. If you are looking for cheap tix, I have a couple for sale at $55. Apart from that Costco sells MT tix at ~$65 which also includes lunch.

My annual pilgrimage to Mt Ste Anne and Le Massif is 4-11 Feb.

Ride, baby, ride!

-Brian

Hi folks,

Here is a summary of what Andrea & Dave of YYZ Canuck posted on the QC ride msg board.

Shark Boutique (for which YYZ is one of their main suppliers of alpine carving gear) is hosting four Sunday demo days in QC (all of which are closer than the demo day at SOS in ON, north of TO) as follows:

Mt. Habitant: January 23rd (come & gone)

Mt. Blanc: January 30th (I am committed to being at Tremblant that day)

Mt. Orford: February 6th (off to MSA & LM o/s of Quebec City)

Mt. Blanc: February 20th (my pick!)

Is anyone else keen on getting to Mt Blanc for Sun 20 Feb and trying out some new gear?

If you want more info call Sharks at (450) 663-5543 and ask for Michel or email them at info@sharksco.com to find out details on equipment available and during what hours they will be available on the hill.

I expect Andrea & Dave will be there as well. They have done me a few favours over the years (all "long distance") and I look forward to seeing them in person (finally). I hope some other Ottawans can get there as well.

-Brian

I also haven't been out at all. Snowboarding's kind of taken a backseat to Futsal/Soccer and partying. Also, I had an issue when it came to getting screws for my “new” F2 bindings that accommodated the 4mm-thick Lexan plate. Now I’m having binding set-up issues, but I aim to get out on Thursday.

Hey!

I usually ride Thursday nights, but tonight I will be on the road to SOS (I am so excited ... expect about the amount of time I will be in a car).

Next week I am totally open and up for riding pretty much any night - if you let me know what night you will be at Cascade, I would be willing to make another excursion there as well).

Probably Thursday plus either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Have a great weekend everyone

^ Enjoy SOS, Tabatha :biggthump

Chris and I are planning to ride Vorlage tomorrow night (Friday 28th). Anyone else available? We'll probably aim for ~7pm start... I'll post again if that's udpated.

Finished my level 2 course today at Calabogie, and passed 'with honours'. :D Almost can't believe how much fun I had carving on my soft-boot rig once I stopped standing on it like my bindings were pointing forward. :rolleyes: Even got one of my knees on the snow mid-carve toe side!

So it looks like some of our Ottawa friends are heading south for a few days, but that doesn't mean that we can't ride this week! What nights do people feel like heading to a hill? I am up for suggestions on hills.

Also; I have questions for you gear-experts. I am finally getting around to adding lifts to my F2 bindings (yes; I have worn them flat for the last year). I have managed to figure out where the lifts go and how to get them in, I have two questions:

• 2 long screws have one missing (I am pretty sure I know where they are, but it is not here at my house - and if they are where I think they are, they will make a reappearance on Tuesday earliest). I have put in the toe lift for my front foot, but my back foot is still 100% flat - would I do serious damage if I rode before I managed to get the heel lift in the back?
  • The set came with a big wedge and small wedge. I put the big wedge under the front toe - is the small lift supposed to go under the front heel? And if it doesn't go under, how bad is this? I do not have enough body strength to crack one of the screws to add the "lift".

Please forgive me for my complete gear ignorance ... but I have to learn somewhere! Any insight would be very much appreciated. And it might be worth a beer next time we ride together :)

Doug plus screwdriver could be asking for trouble ... and I would have to lend him mine! :AR15firin

In other news - screws have been located. Bindings will be done on Tuesday after work and then I will post pictures. Thanks for the offer of making sure I don't screw up (really bad pun!)

I have two questions:

• Would I do serious damage if I rode before I managed to get the heel lift in the back?
  • The set came with a big wedge and small wedge. I put the big wedge under the front toe - is the small lift supposed to go under the front heel?

Hi T,

Q1: No.

Q2: In general the large wedge (six degrees) goes under your heel plate to help move your center of gravity forward (this would be a good thing for you! :1luvu:) and the small one (three degrees) under your toe (with the fat end towards the front and the thin edge pointing to the rear).

<O:p</O:p

I dropped by Chris’ place on Sunday to buy his last pr of CATEK bindings. While in the neighbourhood, he gave me a quick run-down on his TD2-Coiler setup. This is how he has his bindings set-up (as above) with each wedge providing all lift and no cant. Chris also mentioned that Bomber has a fitment guide on-line if you want to try different combos of lift and cant.

As mentioned before, the final set-up is up to you as there is no right or wrong set-up. For instance you may end up flat X 2 (like most racers), small lift under heel & none under the toe, etc. Be aware that equal amounts of patience and elbow grease are required!

-Brian

Tremblant is over rated.. You should stick around Ottawa all day so you can ride Vorlage with us. THAT is where its at! :lol:

CaR,

Thx for the "Vorlage tip" - and the CATEK bindings! (See my other comments on the Carvefest poll thread)

I went to MT with The Vivacious Redhead on Friday (we played hookie from work) and I was impressed at how hard the maintenance crew have been working to get runs open. The hill is in GREAT shape considering how little natural snow the area has received to date. For carving content, I spotted another four (all individual) carvers on Sunday and one lone Kessler rider the previous Sunday. I also ran into about a dozen friends from Ottawa that I knew!

Sat, I was at my teaching post at CF. I had a very busy day giving five lessons back-to-back non stop from 9:30 to ~3 PM. That sure cuts into my personal riding time! However, the snowfall kept the runs in good shape for most of the day before the boilerplate came out mid-afternoon!

On the plus side, I cleared out three more SBs from my basement from which profts I passed on to Chris to buy his bindings.

Finally, on Sunday, for a change of pace, I went out XC skiing at Mer Bleu. The weather was fantastic and it was neat to sight both chickadees and pileated woodpeckers.

Cheers,

Brian (packing for MSA later this week ;) )

The long screws have been located and will be reunited with the board tomorrow, however one of the screws would not loosen, despite asking Doug. While he has torque, the screw was starting to strip, so I figure - leave it in. It is the front foots heel lift anyway; so no big deal.

Bindings will be back together tomorrow afternoon - any one up for some Vorlage action after work tomorrow? You know you want to! It will be snowing and it will be beautiful.

I will not be out tonight; mainly because I don't trust some of the idiots on the road when there is a sprinkling of snow ... especially those people who think that because they have 4-wheel drive or something they don't need snow-tires. Hello! We live in Canada ... the Great White North ... be prepared.

Aim to be out tomorrow - gives Vorlage a day to groom down the powder :-)

I'll be at Vorlage tonight, a bit later though 730 earliest I think as have prior commitments downtown. Debating whether or not to bring the softboot gear depending on how much snow comes down... :)

Slabber,

Tonight is definately a freeride night!

Leave the carving board in your basement :eplus2:

-Brian

Slabber,

Tonight is definately a freeride night!

Leave the carving board in your basement :eplus2:

-Brian

Didn't get there til late but still had a blast, on my yellow UP, laying down some deep trenches through the fluffy stuff :biggthump

Only my third outing of the year so still working to get my groove. The soft snow was nice and forgiving.

(I wasn't expecting to find any fresh anyhow at the end of the day either...)