Note to New Members ×

2011 Ride Thread

CaRtharsis

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Slabber, the temperatures look MUCH better for Tuesday and Wednesday. I'll be out Wednesday for sure at Vorlage (Around 7pm), and might do Tuesday depending on getting stuff done and weather.

Cheers!

I'll try for Weds then around that time... unless I can put it together tomorrow for the fresh snow we're expecting.

I'll post up confirming what I end up doing.

Need to get the basement sorted so I can do some repair work to my Ultra Prime, the favored board these days. It's got some tail damage. Got two other Factory Primes to choose from, a slalom 5.7 and a GS 6.7. Probably ride the 5.7 to for my first night out of the season :freak3:

um ... I suppose that is almost an oxymoron!

I am at Tremblant tomorrow (Tuesday). Will probably be hanging the North side with my sister. Then I plan on being at Vorlage on Thursday - this seems to be my usual night these days. Next week I will be at Vorlage either Monday or Tuesday for sure.

Anyone else heading from Ottawa to SOS next week?

I have lots of holiday banked, so week-days are a go in February. I would be up for another mid-week Tremblant trip and / or a mid-week day-trip to Mt. St. Marie.

I've heard the Ultra Prime is a little friendlier to ride than the FP. What size is yours? I still have a 173 FP, but it's only suitable for me to ride when the snow is very soft. (too stiff :eek:)

Hope you can make it Wednesday!

The UP is an 167 as well I think (maybe 168). Definitely more forgiving. I need to look for another softer freecarve board, but low cost... Wondering if Kunstadt has any more $50 decks left - I'll try to call tomorrow.

Weds should work well.

Yah, I remember looking at them last year briefly... the low price was appropriate.

Not looking for anything special really, price is the determining factor right now. Got lots of competing interests (first baby on the way) and other planned purchases that dictate available budget for another board. $250, while a good price on a basically new Volkl is certainly not doable currently...

Slabber,

If you are still looking for a board, I have several I would like to get outta my basement. On the "inexpensive" side, I have a 163 Burton Ultra Prime (in gorgeous fushia, no less) that I will give to you if you drive out to Orleans to pick it up. I also have a 170 Oxygen "Dangerous" that is in great shape for $100.

The Burton UP is a well-used and used-up board that I used as a rock board up until I bought a couple more newer sticks and moved my Volkl 173 (alternating black and yellow Vs - if anyone remembers that far back :) ) to "rock board."

The Oxygen is also an older board but in much better conditon. It is fresh off the Kunstadt Wintersteiger tuning machine; the edges are razor sharp and the base is in great shape. An added bonus: the topsheet is much more manly - it sports a snarling Doberman hound on a dark background.

I also have a range of bindings if you need something to hold your boots onto the deck!

I still have a 173 FP, but it's only suitable for me to ride when the snow is very soft.

Ian,

That is why you need to get away from Vorlage more often!

You don't need "softer snow," you need more running room ... like Mt Tremblant. How is that for a thinly-veiled enticement to get you guys up for some serious vertical (and speed).

Really Ian, I ride my 173 Volk (At least as stiff as a Factory Prime) and the Prior 177 WCR Metal at Camp Fortune regularly.

Speed is your friend!

-Brian

I'll take the UP... hopefully still rideable :)

Orleans - maybe on the weekend? Regardless, please hang on to it, I'll come get it.

UP - just barely :)

This WE, I will be teaching at CF in the AM for sure. However, given the brutally cold temps forcast, I may come home early in the PM. Sunday is supposed to be more seasonal so I will be in my car at the crack of dawn to be first in the lift line at MT. Again, home by late afternoon.

I will let you know later in the week what my schedule looks like.

-Brian

Apart from the visibility, Mt. Tremblant was fantastic today. It snowed all day, but there was great hard pack under the fresh stuff. The runs were wide although some key links were closed which lead to wondering if we would have to down-load a chair-lift to get back to the North Face without hitting blacks! The place was empty - in fact, I did a North side run before lunch and came back at 3pm to see my "rut"s still there! :1luvu:

Sticking small and close to home for the rest of the week / weekend. Will hit Vorlage on Thursday and maybe something local on Saturday morning, maybe even brave (gulp) Fortune for an early run! OK - lets not hold me to that one!

Wicked last minute Friday night at Vorlage! There were four of us and despite the hoards (well - for Vorlage) decent runs were had by all! Hope we can meet up on Tuesday. Despite the ridiculously cold weather, I plan on being there.

Who knew Friday night in Ottawa could be so rocking!

Met up with Ian M last Weds at Vorlage for my first outing of the season...

Was pleasantly surprised with Vorlage. Not crowded at all and decent terrain albeit on the short side. Well worth the night pass price.

Got some good tips from Ian and started to work out some of the cobwebs . Will plan to be out again this Weds - hopefully after some more snow forecast in next couple of days.

cheers

Andrew