Note to New Members ×

A New Midweighting Video, Part 3

Marco

A big thank you to Beckmann AG and Marco who have been providing me with sage advice. I had my first post-surgery race last Saturday and I'm pretty happy with the results. It was only a Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge but it bodes well for the season. The year after next I finally move into the 66-74 age group and get rid of the those 56 year old kids!

m927ua.jpg

Are those ages before the MB under class?

Yep. As an example, 36MB is a male boarder between the ages of 36 and 45.

I also raced as a skier and finished 13th overall among 123. It was a good day.

Good luck with your race and let us know how you did!

Third video in my midweighting series:

Any and all comments, observations, diagrams, corrections, suggestions, etc. are welcome.

Hmmmmm... Just watched the vid frame by frame, few times... I actually do not see much of "midweighing" here, as in the first 2. It is very visible that both riders actually stand up for the transition. Racer, few times so aggressivelly, of the tail, that board leaves the snow. Racer doesn't seem to put much pressure on the edge at the very top of the turn, but rather at about 1/3 mark and then again at the bottom to get his airborne transition. Not much of the "hip through and into the turn early" is visible either. In more then 50% of the turns they are compressed at the apex, instead of fully extended...

Discus?

Marco thank you for these videos. It has helped me progress into getting more aggressive with my turns. Today I was out for a few hours and I would start my turns with my hip versus my ankles, huge improvement!

Thanks again!

I was going up the lift, and saw Eric coming down. I wasn't sure it was Eric, because something was very different. Toe side angulation was excellent. No more breaking at the waist. Transitions were across the board, and not up and down, altogether so much more fluid. Marco, your time on these videos, has been well spent. I've really appreciated the descriptions of unweighting as well, and have tried to improve my timing of the movements.

Thanks

Sickter. Some of the best freecarving ever with a weighting technique that incorporates the projection and anticipation of up-unweighted turns, with the snap transitions of down-unweighting.

That's just good, stylish snowboarding right there.

See my other comments in "Duckfoot? Really?" in the "Off-topic" section.

Got bold yesterday and tried out a Sigi Grabner 178 GS board. Gotta admit that on the steeps I had to bail and skid. That puppy doesn't like to go slow. On the more gentle pitches I was in awe of how nicely it rails but my turns more "Super G-like" than GS. Guess I gotta trust the edges and lay it over but at present I feel more confident with my 168 Volkl RennTiger GS board.

I'm applying the "unweighting" concept in transition and getting pretty low at the apex of the turns but I feel I still have room for a LOT of improvement.

That's just good, stylish snowboarding right there.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I wasn't picking on their riding, at all. Contrarry, great riding!

...projection and anticipation of up-unweighted turns

That was more of my point - I see a lot of up-unweighing there. However, much less of "midweighing", which I assume is Marco's word for "cross-through", then in the first 2 vids.

Got bold yesterday and tried out a Sigi Grabner 178 GS board. Gotta admit that on the steeps I had to bail and skid. That puppy doesn't like to go slow. On the more gentle pitches I was in awe of how nicely it rails but my turns more "Super G-like" than GS. Guess I gotta trust the edges and lay it over but at present I feel more confident with my 168 Volkl RennTiger GS board.

I'm applying the "unweighting" concept in transition and getting pretty low at the apex of the turns but I feel I still have room for a LOT of improvement.

Post some video of yourself when you have the time--glad things are working out.