Note to New Members ×

Boot Stiffness Question RAICHLE AF700

Topi

I currently own and used for 6 years a pair of RAICHLE 323 with its standard liners. I Like these boots a lot because they are very comfy, I can ride in them all day andthey don't beat me up.

I don’t race just ride the groomers. I’ve been riding for 6 years but I would not rank myself more than intermediate level.

Last year I tried a pair of Burton Fire’s but I found them uncomfortable perhaps because it was too stiff, I could only ride in them for an hour.

I am looking to upgrade my boots and I was looking at an older RAICHLE AF700 and learned that they are rather stiff.

Am I over my head even thinking about getting the AF700?

Any input would be great!

thanks

:nono: Do yourself a favor and get some new boots. Old boots, and especially old liners turn to crap after a while. Boots are by far the most important component of your interface/connection to your board and the snow. You won't make the jump from intermediate to anything more advanced if you can't feel your board. This is true in skiing and true in boarding.

:nono: Do yourself a favor and get some new boots. Old boots, and especially old liners turn to crap after a while. Boots are by far the most important component of your interface/connection to your board and the snow. You won't make the jump from intermediate to anything more advanced if you can't feel your board. This is true in skiing and true in boarding.

Yes, that exactly what I am working on, the AF700 are that I am looking are in great condition it's just an older model. Should I not even consider it since it's an older model?

Get the best equipment you can afford. I'm not familiar with the 323's you have, but I'll venture a guess and say the 700's you're looking at are stiffer - they're about stiff as hardboots get these days. The 700's vary in stiffness with each version issued. Newer boots are always better than older boots as the plastic just degrades with time. I'd really only consider used boots if they are in good shape + that's what your budget allows. If they've got more than 100 days, and/or 5 years old - forget it!

Dont worry if 7oo will be stiffer that your old 323, with BTS you can adjust them back to working boots, but be prepared for spending money for BTS.

Otherwise it will be step backwards due they will be too stiff for comfy rides.

is this the BTS? boot.jpg

I ride 700s. There were too stiff for me. I put BTS and changed the race tongue to a standard one. Added Intuition liners and footbeds. Now very comfortable and I can ride all day. I carve and ride off piste with these boots. I do unbuckle the top 2 buckles if I'm riding mogles though.

If the shells on your old boots are still good you could buy a new set of heat moldable liners for them and continue to use them. However if you feel your old boots are too soft you should consider a stiffer boot? I have a pair of susaka boots that I have had for several years that are working fine afterI had a new pair of liners installed a couple of years ago. They are stiffer than a pair of track 700's that I tried on at bomber last year. I also ride a pair of lemans boots that I bought from Newcarver last year and I put a new pair of liners in them this year-Intuition and they are working fine. I ride the Lemans boot for all mountain riding and the Susaka for carving on groomed snow with stiffer and narrower race boards. I do not use BTS. +1 on buying a used boot where the shells are in good condition and you can buy new liners to get the fit right. A lot of times the shells are in good shape because the boots were not used much.

Where that panic fear from aging plastics comes from? 5 years? BS... It is more like 50 years where you should start to worry, and it would normaly show the visible signs of degradation. Major factors in degradation are UV, heat, extreme cold. So, the boots that just lived their NOS life forgoten on the top shelf in the store should be ok to ride.

Now if you ridden your boots for 100s of days, or buying in that condition form someone else, that's a completely different story.

Where that panic fear from aging plastics comes from? 5 years? BS... It is more like 50 years where you should start to worry, and it would normaly show the visible signs of degradation. Major factors in degradation are UV, heat, extreme cold. So, the boots that just lived their NOS life forgoten on the top shelf in the store should be ok to ride.

Now if you ridden your boots for 100s of days, or buying in that condition form someone else, that's a completely different story.

yessir! Boris hit the nail on the head.

I ride AF700s.

While they are stiffer than the SB series boots, they're soft compared to skiboots, even the AT boots I wear day in, day out, at work. They don't even come into the same ballpark as a pair of "proper" skiboots, let alone race plugs.

The problem with all the Raichle and Deeluxe boots is not so much stiffness as articulation. The SB series in particular is a problem with this; you're deforming the boot to get articulation rather than anything else - the AF's rely much more on the tongue and articulate better (but, again, not as good as even a low-end skiboot).

The other difference between AF and SB is fit - the AFs are wider. If they fit you, and you have a choice, the AF is an all-round better boot.