Thunder Dome '10-'11 Thread

dingbat

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How does Berkshire East compare to a place like Wachusett and Crotched in terms of skiing - thinking of my kids/wife and their ability to enjoy the place as well.

I can't comment on Crotched, but Wachusett is a joke compared to Berkshire East for the following reasons:

1. never crowded

2. never crowded

3. better groom

4. more varied terrain

5. steeper (if you like that)

6. never crowded

And to top it off, Berkshire East is never crowded. Oh... and did I mention it's also never crowded?

And this is coming from someone who has a pass for Wachusett. :-(

UPDATE: To be fair... the lifts are faster at Wachusett (2 high speed quads). But the lines are still long. And it's still way too crowded.

How does Berkshire East compare to a place like Wachusett and Crotched in terms of skiing - thinking of my kids/wife and their ability to enjoy the place as well.

I love riding here with my family. Good variation of terrain for all abilities, easy to find people if you get separated. Most all of our trails have little hits and natural features on the edges to play around with that keep the interest level up if you're hanging back with a little one. Usually put the soft boots on for that though.

I can't comment on Crotched, but Wachusett is a joke compared to Berkshire East for the following reasons:

1. never crowded

2. never crowded

3. better groom

4. more varied terrain

5. steeper (if you like that)

6. never crowded

And to top it off, Berkshire East is never crowded. Oh... and did I mention it's also never crowded?

And this is coming from someone who has a pass for Wachusett. :-(

UPDATE: To be fair... the lifts are faster at Wachusett (2 high speed quads). But the lines are still long. And it's still way too crowded.

What about the size/length of runs?

What about the size/length of runs?

From summit to base, I think the runs at Wachusett are longer. Berkshire East has more fun green runs. The only greens Wachusett has is in the beginner area. Wachusett has more trails, but they're all pretty similar. Berkshire East has a couple of nice wide groomed runs (Exhibition and Competition), where Wachusett doesn't have any wide runs, other than Indian Summer in the beginner area, which is exceptionally flat.

B-East has a pretty laid back, family atmosphere too. Not Disneyland family, more like living room and comfy slippers family. Honestly, when I was there on Thursday night two young guys changed into their ski clothes at their table in the lodge--stripped right down to their boxers. I would have thought it was weird, but the high school race teams at B-East (boys and girls) do it all the time.

Hmmm, now it's not sounding so much like a family place...;)

• 2 weeks later...