Note to New Members ×

Mammoth and June in December

nekdut

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am "tentative" for driving up late evening/early morning of the 24th/25th. I am "supposed" to take an AVY1 class starting the 26th, but given the amount of snow and liability have not heard if the class is still on.

Regardless, I will be up. If not in class then I will be riding June Sat and MM on Sunday.

Drive safe:)

Deep toe side carve on steeps- hit a grooming ridge at speed landed on the toe edge... heard a "pop" chattered jack hammer..... another "pop"

Christmas eve- first top to bottom run.

Calf muscle tore- collapsed.. nothing to support my ankle-

had to heelside slide the entire 3000 vertical feet.

Likely grade 3 calf tear 3-5 months off

Bad ankle sprain.. out for 6 months

Didn't even realize I sprained the ankle because the calf tear hurt so badly.

Got back to the condo. pain... yeouch!

A few hours later... I discovered a grade 2 sprain to my right ankle as well.

Too much speed without enough built up muscle mass. My left calf is swollen to the size where it would be at the end of the season..My right calf is 1/2 the size.

I just bit off too much too soon knowing I was going to Hawaii for 2 weeks...I thought I would exhaust myself.

I had been nursing a knotted calf for a few weeks knowing it was an issue..I should have massaged it out before riding..

Live and Learn.

Best case scenario 3-5 weeks.. we will see..acupuncture + massage + warm water hot sun...who knows...

Deep toe side carve on steeps- hit a grooming ridge at speed landed on the toe edge... heard a "pop" chattered jack hammer..... another "pop"

Christmas eve- first top to bottom run.

Calf muscle tore- collapsed.. nothing to support my ankle-

had to heelside slide the entire 3000 vertical feet.

Likely grade 3 calf tear 3-5 months off

Bad ankle sprain.. out for 6 months

Didn't even realize I sprained the ankle because the calf tear hurt so badly.

Got back to the condo. pain... yeouch!

A few hours later... I discovered a grade 2 sprain to my right ankle as well.

Too much speed without enough built up muscle mass. My left calf is swollen to the size where it would be at the end of the season..My right calf is 1/2 the size.

I just bit off too much too soon knowing I was going to Hawaii for 2 weeks...I thought I would exhaust myself.

I had been nursing a knotted calf for a few weeks knowing it was an issue..I should have massaged it out before riding..

Live and Learn.

Best case scenario 3-5 weeks.. we will see..acupuncture + massage + warm water hot sun...who knows...

Sorry to hear that John.

Conquest is still recovering from the last time you thrashed it..

It was too bad because it looked to be a blitzing start to that run.. good snow- two 250 foot heelsides layouts... great visibility..

I took those Sport legs tabs for a few days to fight off the soreness... but perhaps your body is trying t tell you something and I could not hear it because I wasn't as sore as I should have been. Considering over 100 inches of heavy wet snow slogging for the 6 days prior. The snow was so much heavier and decelerates you soooo much faster than Aspen snow...

I ended up eating it about 30+ times over the days before and having to dig myself out of that bottomless heavy stuff... really really a dense workout.

I think I fell more and got stuck more in those 6 days prior than in the past 10 years of riding.

It was too bad because it looked to be a blitzing start to that run.. good snow- two 250 foot heelsides layouts... great visibility..

I took those Sport legs tabs for a few days to fight off the soreness... but perhaps your body is trying t tell you something and I could not hear it because I wasn't as sore as I should have been. Considering over 100 inches of heavy wet snow slogging for the 6 days prior. The snow was so much heavier and decelerates you soooo much faster than Aspen snow...

I ended up eating it about 30+ times over the days before and having to dig myself out of that bottomless heavy stuff... really really a dense workout.

I think I fell more and got stuck more in those 6 days prior than in the past 10 years of riding.

Socal riding you need structure structure structure. and hard wax. and overlays. And hot scrape + citrus solvent after every day riding. Especially down at MH where pine tar is a huge issue. Wax+ buff the nose especially well, and round off the shovel edges really well. I used to have lots of cartwheels until I started taking good care of my boards.

And base bevel.

Yeah bottomless heavy wet snow... I know no other, i've only ridden in the Sierras and here at the local place - Big Bear and Mt. High.

On another note, if the season keeps up like this, Mammoth will probably be open until July. All the good room and ride deals start around middle/end of March. They close off the East side over by Eagle though once that happens.

As for waxing and maintenance - lots of brushing. I just use dominator all temp wax with graphite.

As for waxing and maintenance - lots of brushing. I just use dominator all temp wax with graphite.

I actually cant stand dominator all temp..

It seems way too hard to scrape, brush, and buff for how bad it is in super wet snow. For hot snow, I find the cheap orange Demon crap is actually fantastic- it's almost greasy when its melted, and its extremely hard. Have fun scraping! :)

That said, its probably better than high temp wax in the morning, you usually bail around lunch anytime right?

Rode at June today with Greg and saw Neil as we got to the bottom.

He's excused for his tardiness, as it was a good time to try his Donek plate.

Powder in the morning; Carving around noon.

Tomorrow should be some epic conditions for June.

Greg - <a href="http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15008">This is what I was talking about</a>

Rode at June today with Greg and saw Neil as we got to the bottom.

He's excused for his tardiness, as it was a good time to try his Donek plate.

Powder in the morning; Carving around noon.

Tomorrow should be some epic conditions for June.

Greg - <a href="http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15008">This is what I was talking about</a>

The plate is a game changer, big time. Chunky snow today? Hah! I'll respond more in the plate-specific thread.

I'll try my best to make it out tomorrow, if I can convince the lady friend to watch the place while the windows are being installed :).

I actually cant stand dominator all temp..

It seems way too hard to scrape, brush, and buff for how bad it is in super wet snow. For hot snow, I find the cheap orange Demon crap is actually fantastic- it's almost greasy when its melted, and its extremely hard. Have fun scraping! :)

That said, its probably better than high temp wax in the morning, you usually bail around lunch anytime right?

If you apply your wax just right, scraping is not necessary - brushing only...

And as far as bailing, yeah, when I ride local i usually only ride until around 1-1:30. That gives me about 5 hours of riding since I'm in line when the lifts open at 8am.

If I travel anywhere like June or Mammoth, then it's all day riding - gotta get my money's worth for driving, room, and tickets... heh