Note to New Members ×

when would be a good time to hit the slope?

sxybst90

hello

i had my first season last year as a alpine snowboarder.

and as the hills started to open up and all that when would be a good time to hit the slope with my gears?

i heard some people saying that i shouldn't go carving on soft snow..???

also some people saying not to go carving at the beginning of the season due to snow not being "stable"(?)

give me some inputs!

Thank YOU

What he said... any snow is good snow.

The only stuff I'd avoid is bullet-proof ice, but that's extremely rare and if you encounter it then there will be no one else on the slopes either.

Snow stability is a different issue really and probably not one to worry about if you're riding on piste, which you probably are. If the snow's soft you'll cut through it like butter. If it's harder then you'll have to work a little more on your edge control, but with hard gear that's pretty easy.

any midweek morning, 1st chair or close to opening,

less gaper dodging, fresh corduroy

soft snow isn't ideal for skinny carving boards but doable, wider all mountain boards carve soft snow just fine.

snow stability isn't an issue on piste, early season snow packgives a better chance to find rocks with your edges but most groomed runs should be good coverage.

I like to let the first chair goons go and give them a few minutes so if the chair opens at 8, get on at 8:15. It is usually emptier than at 8.

+1

After all of the hung over, no-warm-up first chair guys are done crashing into each other you may be the first one back to the lift.

....unless you're after powder, then first tracks are always nice.

Dude - conditions were very carvable at Pine Knob yesterday a.m.

Full on sunshine and very few people. I shared the first chair up with a skier friend at 8:55 . . . was my first day on for the season. Left around 11:00 a.m. Drove by the area around 3p.m. and things were a bit crowded. Looks like rain is in our forecast :-(

Get out early in the day or after 8pm if you are planning on night riding.

Got your Warren Miller tickets yet?