Note to New Members ×

Tuning Tips/Preferences for H+SH or Isocline Plate & Snowoard Combos

SunSurfer

Just reading a Snowman post in the Alpine Snowboard Plate Systems thread, about isocline plate setup, and the results he got. I found it a bit ambiguous.

Separating out the tuning from the already very long .... ASP Systems thread may also be helpful.

For anyone commenting how to tune these plates we need to know -

1/ Inter-axle distance with board flat (no camber/rocker)

2/ Inter-axle centre setback/forward from recommended snowboard binding mount centre or effective edge centre.

3/ Binding centre-to-centre distance on plate. (stance width)

4/ Stance centre setback/forward relative to interaxle centre and, therefore, also to board centre.

Some comment about plate stiffness may also be useful especially if it's not a standard Apex Comp./Donek/Bomber/Sigi Grabner/Oxess or other recognised manufacturer.

SunSurfer

NB: I think of all these plates as either Hinge + Slide/Hinge (H+SH) or Isocline designs. HSH is self explanatory. Isocline refers to the fact that they keep the rider's feet on the same angle as they ride. This classification clearly separates these designs from the Vist/Hangl/S-Flex type designs.

Your having a good time winding us up prior to most of us getting back on the snow for another season over here aren't you? You point is well taken now let's add to the mix a hinge in the middle or somewhere between the front and rear inserts. The variables are many now how will we quantify them? I think once people start reporting on their own experiences you are going to be very well entertained. Since you have a season up on everyone maybe you can act as referee.:argue:Do you have anything on the work bench for your off season?

No winding up intended here.:)

I deliberately didn't post my own settings 'cause I've not been riding a standard plate.

It seems particularly important to me that people setting up plates, on 4x4 mounts in particular, are clear about what works in terms of the relationships between bindings and axles, and the plate to the board.

4x4s will rarely have the interaxle distances that are possible on a UPM setup.

The guys in Colorado are clearly starting to get some feel for this. Their information will be most useful if their comments are clear and unequivocal in their meaning.

SunSurfer

Just had the first day on it, today.

I set it on Kessler KST185, using the 4x4 system. Basically, I set the axles as far appart as the board's inserts allowed. Then, I set the bindings centered between the axles, to my usual stance width, 19.5". That means that I was dead-on over manufacturer's sweet spot. Everything worked just fine. I felt I could have the stance slightly wider, maybe 1/4? Next time maybe...

As for the plate, it feels very stiff, but not "dead", to me. However, I have nothing to compare it with...