Note to New Members ×

Buying an all mtn carver for my son

nurse ben

Back in the day I used Koflach ice climbing boots and some plates made from old AT bindings, now the sport has progressed so much, it's simply amazing! I don't snow board much now (telemarker), but my teenage son is an avid soft boot boarder, so I'm trying to work him toward carving and maybe in the process I'll do some myself :)

He's almost 15yo, sz 13 (mondo 30) boot, 140-145lbs, rides all mtn, advanced, not into park, some switch riding, likes to jump, no rails, likes trees and pow (who doesn't).

Right now he's riding a K2 Turbo Dream (161), Burton Imperials, and K2 Cinch CTS. The board is fairly soft and has some tip rocker. He also has an older cambered board and another pair of Cinch binders.

What I'd like to get him is something for soft boot carving that he can use now with the extra pair of Cinch and his imperials, then later move to a Catek Freeride and some Malamutes or Driver X boots. Due to foot size, he probably can't go much narrower than 25cm, 26cm + would be better.

Any thoughts on boards, new or used, as well as sizing for his height and weight?

Look at the link in my signature, for Hammer 166 (same crowd as Hot and Rossi). It might work well for him. It's a power board for a bigger guy, but that means the flex would be just right for his application and weight. SCR is wooping 11m, which should be great for carving. It's 26+ wide. Of course, would work great in pow.

For more info, direct email:

boris at blueb dot biz

That Prior could be too much board, kinda hard to figure out if he can handle it, though he's pretty strong.

He went from a 155 cambered board to a 160 K2 Turbo Dream rocker board last year, just throws the Turbo around like it's balsa wood.

6'2" and growing...

I really want him to carve more and ride faster, but that's one big board.

I have a couple Burton Alp 156's for sale. They're great all-mountain carving boards for lighter riders with a larger radius around the tail for switch riding. I have Bomber TD1 and TD2 binding that you can mount on it also.

$75 for the board, TD1s are $100, TD2 set is $180.

$125 for the board and TD1 set together if you like.

The TD1 set has standard toe/heel bails, the TD2 set is available with either conventional bails or step-in.

Dustin

Here's where I am with used board choices:

Hammer split 165, 11r

Donek Sasquatch 166, 10r

Steepwater Steep 164, 11r

or go big:

Prior MFR 172, 10r?

Keeping in mind that he's a strong rider, but soaking wet a whopping 140#, but 6'2" with sz 13 flippers. Mounting the board with K2 Cinch, riding Burton Imperials now, maybe some Malamutes/Drivers later.

His current board is a 160 K2 Turbo Dream, rockered, medium stiffness.

This is meant to be a carver, big mountain ride to "expand" his quiver.

Getting colder, keep up the chanting, we need some snow!!

Hammer split 165, 11r

Donek Sasquatch 166, 10r

Steepwater Steep 164, 11r

or go big:

Prior MFR 172, 10r?

Keeping in mind that he's a strong rider, but soaking wet a whopping 140#, but 6'2" with sz 13 flippers. Mounting the board with K2 Cinch, riding Burton Imperials now, maybe some Malamutes/Drivers later.

This is meant to be a carver, big mountain ride to "expand" his quiver.

Well.. At his weight & height, I will choose 166 range for now but if he keeps growing, that may be too short for him to browse big mountains. I'd been in Tahoe and Mammoth with Arbor A-frame 166 & MFR 168 last year but longer the deck, stable and fast it gets without much chatters. Go bigger if it is going to be used in big mountain. But for Tennessee's Gatlinburg? get shorter one. :)