Note to New Members ×

long range 802.11

bobdea

anyone know what's the most range I can get out of 802.11? do the boosters/repeaters actually work well enough?

the idea is I'm looking at trying to get coverage on most of a 99 acre lot. the other thing is the idea is to have guests on the property be able to use their laptops without having to plug into anything.

I've found a bunch products but I'm not sure if the boosters are reliable enough or not and I'd like to hear from someone who's deployed something like that.

I have used cheap linksys wrt54g routers off of cl and dd-wrt using wds to extend a cloud. It works. Careful of the revision of wrt546 you buy, some don't support dd-wrt.

Mine has been running for 2 years now.

awesome! that's pretty bad ass. might go that route with a big ass antenna. I did not know those routers supported that even with the fancy firmware.

How about a mesh network and a few directional antennas? Booster do work, but they are expensive, and may exceed FCC limits, so you have to be careful with them.

well, as far as the FCC goes we'd be pretty far away from anyone so no one would probably know....

You can get the routers for $20 on cl. How much is an antenna? If you have the place to plug the routers (repeaters basically) in, why bother?

as of right now it looks like there's gonna be around 10 cabins that will need wireless those are not too far apart, based on the range I get with wrt54 that I'm using I might be able to do one in every other cabin but the biggest issue is that the the only place that would make sense to have connection to the internet is well out of the range those things could handle. maybe 1500 or more ft.

I have used cheap linksys wrt54g routers off of cl and dd-wrt using wds to extend a cloud. It works. Careful of the revision of wrt546 you buy, some don't support dd-wrt.

Mine has been running for 2 years now.

I used the exact same router and dd-wrt to make a repeater at the cottage. It works awesome. Super easy to setup.

For the wrt54g it's version 7.0 that is not supported.

• 1 month later...