Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the lift line 10-11

Snowman

... Skier turns, looks up at me, and asks "are those ski boots?"
That's probably the #1 question I get from skiers and snowboarders alike. Either that or they just assume they're ski boots. Very few people know that snowboard-specific hard boots exist.

I think I'm going to start responding to this with "No these are snowboard boots, ski boots are extremely uncomfortable."

Dave

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, uh, don't doo that, please (nothing to do with the fact I use ski boots).

Fact is, proclaiming something that looks almost identical as uncomfortable, you'll defer the people form wanting to try. Easier way to convert a skier is to explain him he could use his freeride ski boots to snowboard. They just LOVE the idea of one boot to do it all.

Uh, uh, don't doo that, please (nothing to do with the fact I use ski boots).

Fact is, proclaiming something that looks almost identical as uncomfortable, you'll defer the people form wanting to try. Easier way to convert a skier is to explain him he could use his freeride ski boots to snowboard. They just LOVE the idea of one boot to do it all.

yep. i always try my best to NOT sound exclusionary, elitist, or critical of other snow sliding factions in relation to alpine inquiry. i'm all about being the positive ambassador.

Mmm. I was about to say... I don't really have any problem at all with people asking what seems to be to be a very reasonable question. To most people (me included), hard boots look precisely like ski boots. If we're finding that question funny, then maybe we're failing to understand the rest of the world very well.

I usually laugh and say they're "race" snowboard boots.

Many good skiers (me included) aren't afraid of ski boots or what you can do with them, so I think you may be right that there's a potential way in for some people there.

Cute Brunette Teen Girl: Hey how come your board tail is shaped like that / (Split tail powder deck- Rossi Judge)

Me: See that crack? In the Tail?

Cute Brunette Teen Girl: Yes?

Me: Well it was cracking so I took a band saw to it and had to scoop the board out up the middle- and now the crack is coming back?

Cute Brunette Teen Girl: You should think about buying a new one- it might just crack all the way up.

Me: Yeah you are right, I should, I can't even go backwards. It makes it so hard to ride I fall doing almost every turn...I'm getting used to recovering from my falling, the snow is soft so I don't care - it's all fun.

Cute Brunette Teen Girl: well good luck.

I see her later... in the lift line.

Cute Brunette teen girl: I saw you falling at the bottom, you are so lucky you don't get hurt or hit anyone, you should slow down and get a lesson..

Later in the the cafeteria-

Cute Brunette Teen Girl: My friend says thats a racing board.

Me: Isn't she blonde?

Cute Brunette Teen Girl: Yes! How did you know that?

Me: and that isn't YOUR REAL HAIR COLOR is it?

Cute Brunette Teen Girl: No...........why do you ask?

After riding off the lift at the top of A-Basin today, I came to a stop next to a couple of skiers and was stepping in to my TD3's...

Skier nudges buddy and points to my board: "Now THERE'S an intelligent snowboarder."

Me as I rode off (in my best Elvis impersonation): "Thank you, thank you very much."

'Nuff said.