Note to New Members ×

Camber or V-Rocker For the Future

jjfarbs

My little carver is now ready to upgrade but he still at least 50 lbs away from plates. The kids boards are now made with the V Rocker as opposed to the camber. My guy rides fairly aggressively, likes gates and tries to link carved turns. Will the V Rocker take away the snap that all of us feel on our boards. Should I look for an old school (which is now 2008) camber board, or should i go with the new technology.

It is truly sad that I can't find a kids board that doesn't have "park & pipe" in the first sentence of the product description.

Be on the look out for smaller alpine boards.

There is a 146cm Burton Factory Prime for sale right now in the classifieds.

Maybe even try asking Sean from Donek if he has any smaller boards laying around.

I would do everything you can to stay away from all those jib sticks.

Just my 2 cents.

My little carver is now ready to upgrade but he still at least 50 lbs away from plates. The kids boards are now made with the V Rocker as opposed to the camber. My guy rides fairly aggressively, likes gates and tries to link carved turns. Will the V Rocker take away the snap that all of us feel on our boards. Should I look for an old school (which is now 2008) camber board, or should i go with the new technology.

It is truly sad that I can't find a kids board that doesn't have "park & pipe" in the first sentence of the product description.

A bit too general.

Be specific.

State the length, waist width in cm and sidecut radius of what you are looking for and what he has already been riding on. Lots of good folks with good boards. No point in having allot of people post "What about a ....." if you are seeking a specific range of board.

Good luck. :biggthump

Initial question: IMHO. Ride both or as many combinations you can. Exposing him to various configurations helps the learning process. It is early and it is about fun right?

He will let you know via results and a big smile what works for him. I am a huge advocate for try MORE , options are a good thing.

125 cm

6.0 m SCR

230 mm WW

I agree its about having fun and would love to give him options - but realistically I have to choose one board for him. My choice is the 2008 model which has maybe 1 cm of camber, or 2011 v rocker which is like reverse camber i guess

lets take a vote - first board to two votes takes it

Does your kid currently ride or is this a first timer thing?

The V-rocker that I have seen is basically base is edge high so the edges are out of the snow while the kids are learning. Keeps them buggers from catching an edge and makes is easier to learn the basics.

How big is your kid?

I have a small 7yr old (KarverKai) on a 110 Lamar dragon (camber) with tiny Flow bindings and Burton Moto boots for all mtn.

For carving he is on the latest tech race goodness Virus Rookie 99 (decambered nose and tail) with the same boot and binding combo. He will get this boot http://fulltiltboots.com/boots/growth-spurt-boys and little plate bindings soon.

Up until last season he didn't have the strength to turn a board or keep the edges out of the snow for very long. Near the end of the season his strength went up and he started linking turns. Now he can't wait to go since Loveland opened up today.

Ink

Avoid V-rocker and other full-rocker or no-camber boards at all costs if carving is the goal. Burton Shaun White kids' boards have camber. Or SG makes a 125 kids' race board.

Also fyi, the terms nose rocker, tail rocker, decambered nose, decambered tail only apply to the nose and tail regions of the board. The body of these boards may still have camber.

23cm waist? Really? Am I reading that wrong?

At 125cm and 23cm waist , that seems pretty wide for a tiny board?

Sounds like you have some brands in mind? Burton?

If these are just little kids freestyle boards and he wants to carve, I would go with the board with camber for now. Although the rockered board will be easier to learn on (more forgiving). If he really wants to carve, get him one of the small alpine type boards the guys have mentioned here.

http://www.burton.com/boys-boards-custom-smalls-v-rocker-snowboard/231441,default,pd.html?start=1&cgid=boys-boards&prefn1=variationSize&prefv1=125