Note to New Members ×

Looking for some advice what to get the wife...

Flywalker

Hiya!

My better half has expressed an interest in alpine carving. There are quite a few used boards available right now so perhaps with a bit of guidance l can find something just right.

She is 5'1" tall, about 48kgs, super strong and FEARLESS! She was a GS ski racer who had to train with the boys team because the girls team wasn't challenging enough! Her boot shell size is 24.

We ski together and spend most of our time in the trees searching for soft snow. She can ski anything with style. Whatever board l buy for her needs to be able to get into powder. Of course l am going to teach her how to carve... but l don't want a board that is too far on the side of race... or too stiff to enjoy the powder days. Free carving is the way to go.

I have never shopped for someone this small before. If someone could give me an idea what to consider, l would really appreciate it!

Maybe a softened 164 Prior 4wd. :D

Might be a bit long for her in trees, but it depends on what she likes in a snowboard. On the groom it should work really well.

What snow conditions do you get most often?

Does she snowboard and what does she normally ride?

I am a fan of two boards. The powder board would be shorter, wider, more maneuverable in the trees and designed to float in powder. The carve board would be a little longer, more narrow for her 24m boots, and designed to hold a better edge on the groom. I ride 24 and 25 mondo boots and really like a 20cm width board for carving, no wider. My powder boards are all much wider. There is a lot of personal preference in board width though.

Well...

She has almost no snowboarding experience... nothing on a carver. l have personally been down the road of having a few different boards for different conditions but always ended up back on my 21cm waist free-carver(Sims CON 166) regardless of resort, terrain or conditions.

With that in mind probably one board only to start with... and it needs to do everything. The conditions at our local resort are mostly soft snow as in bottomless powder, machine groomed and then the odd hard packed day. Not really ideal for a carving board, l know, but l have been riding hard boots exclusively since 1988 and have no plans to switch. l had to ride softies for my CASI l & ll.... what a nightmare! No idea how l passed.... my evaluator must have been in a very good mood.

So yeah... a carving board that isn't a total pig in the powder would be cool. Any suggestions on length for her size?

Hiya!

My better half has expressed an interest in alpine carving. She is 5'1" tall, about 48kgs, super strong and FEARLESS! She was a GS ski racer! Her boot shell size is 24.

Whatever board l buy for her needs to be able to get into powder. Of course l am going to teach her how to carve... but l don't want a board that is too far on the side of race... or too stiff to enjoy the powder days. Free carving is the way to go.

Flywalker, I have a few to part with, enable your email or email me at carvingchanel at yahoo dot ca

RT

l had to ride softies for my CASI l & ll.... what a nightmare! No idea how l passed.... my evaluator must have been in a very good mood.

Canadian colegue, eh? I did both I and II on hard boots ;) Planning the III same way, I guess it would be quite an excersise...

Scooby will hook you up, he's a good guy.

When l did my Level ll in '98 l asked if l could do it in hard boots. The examiner's eyebrows crept up his forehead in such a way as to say "shall l just fail you now?" Things must have changed since then!

Nice one Scooby, thanks! PM sent. Don't know how to enable my email yet...

Flywalker, I think Buell gave you some good advice. If she wants something carve specific, then it will be great on the groomers and a bit more challenging in the trees and powder. If you get her something all mountain, it will be good in all terrains, and a decent carver on the groomers. Really just depends on what she will be doing more of on her hard boots.

Here in the US, you CAN'T take your level 3 in hard boots (that's how it used to be when I did my level II). In fact, I think at the time we could only do our level I in hard boots, but I could be wrong.

Hi Michelle,

For a first-timer isn't 164cm a lot of board? l was under the impression a mid-150's was more appropriate. Mind you l haven't bought gear for 15 years(and never for someone so small) so l have no idea what newer equipment is like...

She is a great skier but really a beginner at snowboarding. We'll be in the trees a lot because that's where we usually ski. The groomers here are never icy... at least not on the days we've chosen to ski! l'm trying to give her the best experience on a board so she can improve quickly and enjoy with me.

a 164 might be a little big for her first time if it was a carve specific and on icy conditions, but not so for a 4WD and powdery. If she is going to ride this in powder, she will want something that will keep her afloat, and not too small. Also, if she does get up to speed fairly quickly and is making turns at speed, she will want something to stabilize her. The 4WD is fairly soft for a hard boot board, so it's not overwhelming.

At 5'1" she could go a little shorter, but if she picks it up quickly she will want something bigger. If it's free, i would take it.

In this case, it really just depends on the board as to the "right" size.

For a first-timer isn't 164cm a lot of board?

Personally, I think 164 is way too long for a 5'1" rider who is about 100 lbs. She is TINY. I am only 5'2" (since we're AGAIN talking about my old Prior haha), but I weighed significantly more than 100lbs at the time I rode that board (still do despite dropping a few lol). So even the board was made for a softer flex, the length will be limiting for her. She will have a hard time whipping the tail around in trees, and she'll get stuck in turns in deep powder.

I switched to carving on a Donek Incline, actually, and while I made my first carve on it, I think it is too wide to truly learn how to carve turns. To me, it is a dedicated freestyle board. I also think that a smaller waist board (like a Prior WCR, Coiler Classic, or a Donek Pilot - that would be an excellent choice) is ideal for learning how to put the board on edge and link turns. I went from the Incline to the Prior AWD and it was good for a little while, but I needed something with a smaller waist to really learn the carve and lay it over. Now I can carve something with a bigger waist, but some boards promote better learning; therefore, ideally you want her to have an all mountain board and a carving board.

All that said, if you're dead set on one board, look for a small all-mountain shape like a AWD 159 or 157 Axxess. I dont' think you want to hit 160 for a rider that small (no matter her aggression) who has never been on a snowboard.

Flywalker, my friend Wonser (who's also a lightweight, but a little taller than your GF) has had a 159 Prior 4WD from her learning days. She absolutely loves it, and can carve it like a demon. She rarely off pistes with it, as she has softies as well, but it's more than versatile enough to take anywhere on the hill should she want.

I have a Donek Axxess which is my go-to board, which is another all mountain board in the same vein. The Axxess is a little stiffer in the nose, so it carves a little harder, but it's still very capable off the groom.

The other thing I could recommend, if you want to go more carve specific, is a Donek Pilot. Wonser tried one of those at SES and just adored it, and I know that YYZ Canuck has some they're trying to move right now, as does Sean if I'm not mistaken.

Look hard at some softer bindings for her too, especially if she's going off piste. Bombers are fantastic bindings, but they make the interface very, very stiff for lightweights. Wonser rides her 4Wd with X-Bones, I ride my Axxess with F2 Carve RS's, which are both plastic bindings, and they suit the application well.

Thank you for your input!

There's a 147cm Sims CON out there in Craiglist land... too short? Thought about a 154cm 4WD but would prefer to stay away from new until we both know she's into it. There's a 156cm Rossi Throttle in the classifieds here. l was thinking of putting my Burton race plates on whatever she rides. Have some Burton Carriers somewhere, too. Also looking at the Burton Fire boots in Bomber's classifieds. They're the transparent ones which are supposed to be a little softer...?

No point in building up a quiver until she has a go and decides if it's for her. One board that will carve AND ride pow for now. Not sure what Scooby's got up his sleeve but if any of the boards l just mentioned have potential please let me know (^_^)

When l did my Level ll in '98 l asked if l could do it in hard boots. The examiner's eyebrows crept up his forehead in such a way as to say "shall l just fail you now?" Things must have changed since then!

Not quite changed. But I'm stubborn ;)

Back to your wife's board choice...

At 5'1" she's 153cm tall, or so? Getting anything over 150 would feel like the most bigger guys feel on a GS board... She'll have hard time learning and will struggle in the trees. I'd get her something in mid to high 140s, with nice bigger nose and waist up of 20, to help with the float. Mellow flex would help with learning and with nimbleness in the trees.

Just my .02 CAD

Ah, just saw your last post.

Baby CON might be good, IF soft enough. However, you know from your 166 that is pretty stiff (I know Scooby has one too, way stiffer then 4WD or similar). Also it has very narrow stance pattern.

Fires were one of the stiffest boots made.

I have some 23.5 Raichle/Deeluxe, if you think she could fit into those. Email me through Bomber if you wish.

l see.

Never saw a "live" CON 147. Didn't know it was such a narrow board. l haven't shopped for a new board since March '95 when l bought my CON. lt was a fantastic ride but 400+ days later l can't even fit one coin under it. lnteresting to know that it is considered stiff by modern board standards.

Fires are out, then.

She wears a 24.5 Lange ski boot... not sure if she could squeeze into a 23.5 Deeluxe.

No, no, I don't mean narrow waist. I ment narrow insert pattern, so you end up riding narrower stance then most riders do nowadays.

Modern boards are softer in flex then 5-6 years ago. Metal revolution...

Raichle/Deeluxe runs a bit big on their sizing. However, she comes from ski racing background, so I'd assume she already has performance fit with the 24.5 shells... Probably can't go lower.

There's a 156cm Rossi Throttle in the classifieds here. l was thinking of putting my Burton race plates on whatever she rides. Have some Burton Carriers somewhere, too.

You could do worse than this if the price is right. I had an A153 Rossi, which I'm pretty sure is the more mellow version of the Throttle, but it was a very forgiving board and perfect for a learner. I ended up throwing it away last sason - I knew I should have kept it, I would have given it to you.

I'd say pick it up. I can tell you that once she gets the basics she'll outgrow it fast, as they're very soft in comparison to a decent carver, but while she's learning she'll want something that doesn't launch her every which way and punish her for mistakes. Plus with that waist width, it will be a whole lot more versatile than a pure carver.

I remember first few times I rode my A153, wishing it had been my learning board. My learner was a beast, and I suffered badly.:(

Allee, Angie.... thank you SO much for your advice! Everyone else too, much appreciated!

Mr. Scooby has a Cobble(?) 155 that's new.. waist 20.8 and a Burton e56... waist 21.5 available. Never heard of either of these boards, especially the Cobble. Would either of them be a better bet than the Rossi or should l just pull the trigger on the Rossi knowing that she'll probably be done with it before the end of the season anyway?

Cheap is good in this case (^_^)

Might not be a bad idea to grab that white Rossi 156 VAS for her next ride... hehe... l know she's gonna rip.

We started racing motorcycles last year in a sport called "motorcycle gymkhana". Run a search on Youtube if you're curious. She doesn't even have her license. l have been riding off and on since l was 14. This year she beat me 4 out of 6 races. l got my ass kicked!

Ok, I'm going to give my input on your thread here too.... :)

Don't know where your home mountain is, but see if MAYBE there is someone that would show her the ropes.... I've been an instructor for many years and it always breaks my heart to see the girlfriend, boyfriend, husband, wife, whatever who gets to me after the partner tried to teach him/her. Yes, I know, the intentions are always good, but see if there is someone else that can help and save your relationship!

I don't know what other's opinions are on the matter, but maybe since she has little snowboarding experience at all, maybe she could just rent a board for a day and go in a group lesson to just get some basics as far as how to turn? Or maybe even a private (although I know you said money is tight) because I bet she'll progress much faster than most other beginners since she has such a strong skiing background.

I used my ski boots way back when because they just simply didn't have hard boots available in my size (24.5) that I could find or afford. I don't really reccomend starting with ski boots, but I would suppose that would be an option too.

Michelle.... seriously? you CAN'T take a Level III exam in hard boots? wow.... guess that's pretty much why I'm done with the whole AASI thing. I got my Level II in 1995 and back then just about everyone was still in hard boots. I did get new skis last year so maybe a PSIA Level II will be in my future.... who knows?

Now, my board preference..... I am 5'2" and about 140 lbs. My go to carving board is my Oxygen 149. I feel pretty safe on that most of the time, but EVERYONE tells me I need to go bigger. I have a 156 that I like most of the time on good groom and I am starting to enjoy that board too.... but I'm still being told to go bigger. I don't know. My gear is all pretty old. Someday maybe I could get a custom board :1luvu:

Mr. Scooby has a Cobble(?) 155 that's new.. waist 20.8 and a Burton e56... waist 21.5 available.

Cobble is equivalent of Stuf Accelerator. I had that one in 164. It was my favorite play board before I got some high end ones of the similar spec. Rides similar to Prior ATV, but a bit livlier. Don't take me for granted, but I think that he forgot that he had one in 144 or 148 too - ask him.

Burton e-Deck was their h/boot freeride board back in the day. Many people used it as a learning board. I never rode one of those...

I believe that Scooby also has an 2008 Oxygen Proton in 148, in new or like new condition. That is a junior slalom board, very suitable for learning but won't be outgrown quickly. It has slightly wider waist (about 20 or 20.5), but is still not the best board for the trees/pow.