Note to New Members ×

Get Dialed IN - a clinic by John Gilmour

John Gilmour

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, Ok, sign me up for the first copy! Seriously, it wouldn't have to be a 'high budget' video ( Get Dialed In ) wasn't ,and it helped me immensly when starting to soft boot. Even if it were done on the same basic format as GDI, I'm sure it would help many, like myself when struggling with the basics.

I wish I was closer to you and or any Alpine area. Fortunately for me I ran up to Vt. (Starting Gate) to figure out my boot size. Met a few 'local' riders (Cliff & Mark) while looking around, talked to them, ( they told me,"just buy the stuff and meet us at the Lodge in the morning) and ended up leaving $800.00 later. They were surprised when they seen the familiar board in the morning, then came in and seen me. I told them,"I'm going to hold you to your promise of lessons", so we suited up and 'hit' the slopes. They gave me some pointers (after I figured out the conventional "heel / toe" thing that I was used to was NOT going to work if I wanted to 'stay on the trail, and stay ALIVE' !! ) They really helped me a lot, it's amazing what you can learn just by observation and some positive inspiration! 1/2 day was a "ALL" I could remain standing (because of the stance I was in ) but I learned a lot from it. Not being satisfied with my experience (thought I was going to pick it up immediately !) I stopped at the SG with a ton of questions. That's when I met Curt. Told him what I had experienced, he wanted to see my set-up. Brought it in, went over everything and tried to absorb as much as possible. I had to turn down an offer to ride with Curt, as I had to be to work in the morning (which I now regret not calling in 'sick').

Rode locally as often as possible, but really feel like I'm 'grasping'. I know I just need 'that one little tip' to get me to the next level, I just don't know what it is !

I guess what this RANT is really about, is that I am THANKFUL, that I had the oppertunity to meet, Cliff and Mark and Curt or I'd probably have given up on Alpine Riding. Their is NO doubt in my mind there is a market for an Instructional Video about Alpine Snowboarding, I doubt anyone would become a millionare by producing it, but hopefully would sell enough of them to meet costs?? Maybe not, you guys have certainly been around longer than I, and know the market better.

I'm still in for the 'first copy' though, I need it the most !

jp-1

Originally posted by John Gilmour

I do go to the West coast on a semi regular basis. I used to go to La 4 times per year in the winter.

I suppose I could do one on the west coast...but pacific Northwest...Not unless I'm riding.

Anybody in Florida? I'll be there next week.

John,

Have to take exception to the comment that there is noone who can do what you are talking about in the PNW, much less the west coast.

While I don't claim to be the best rider in the world, I have spent an awful lot of time trying to further the training aspect of the sport because there are very few places one can go to get solid coaching, especially if you are a newbie.

Consequently, we do in fact run multiday clinics that focus on all the items you were talking about. We spend a ton of time tweaking gear, seeking the ideal stance/angles/lift etc. , and pretty much cover all the bases listed in your posts. We also have a full fleet of demos, a custom bootfitter and footbed maker on staff, run digital video and nightly feedback sessions and generally offer IMO as good a training experience as you will find anywhere in the alpine world.

I think what you are doing is great because it furthers people's understanding of the sport and how best to hit the ground running. Now lets work on getting a bigger network of trainers that can get folks introduced to the alpine world.

Regards,

Sean

Snowperformance

quote:Originally posted by John Gilmour

I do go to the West coast on a semi regular basis. I used to go to La 4 times per year in the winter.

I suppose I could do one on the west coast...but pacific Northwest...Not unless I'm riding.

Anybody in Florida? I'll be there next week.

Originally posted by Sean

John,

Have to take exception to the comment that there is noone who can do what you are talking about in the PNW, much less the west coast.

While I don't claim to be the best rider in the world, I have spent an awful lot of time trying to further the training aspect of the sport because there are very few places one can go to get solid coaching, especially if you are a newbie.

Consequently, we do in fact run multiday clinics that focus on all the items you were talking about. We spend a ton of time tweaking gear, seeking the ideal stance/angles/lift etc. , and pretty much cover all the bases listed in your posts. We also have a full fleet of demos, a custom bootfitter and footbed maker on staff, run digital video and nightly feedback sessions and generally offer IMO as good a training experience as you will find anywhere in the alpine world.

I think what you are doing is great because it furthers people's understanding of the sport and how best to hit the ground running. Now lets work on getting a bigger network of trainers that can get folks introduced to the alpine world.

Regards,

Sean

Snowperformance

Hi Sean- I never said no one else could do this... and the Pacific Northwest is a great place for snowboard training. I rode with Pat Malendowsky in 1989 of the North Shore snowboard shop in Bend OR- he was one of the first people who really got me going with stance adjustments and thinking out of the box.

My hope is to make a DVD that could be packaged with all alpine gear so people would have a fighting chance to give this sport a fair shot- without riding a badly dialed set up for two days and ebaying/selling their gear. (I've seen it happen too many times).

The only reason I don't want to do the Pacific Northwest is that I don't have anywhere to stay....its cold/dark now, and I can't ride until next season- so it would be a crushing tease. I know I'd do somethign stuip like straight line the front face of Mt. Bachelor.

________

Life Saber

John,

Fair enough. Think I misread the intent of your post, and probably came off as a bit too defensive in the reply. There are alot more of us out here in the "cold dark" PNW who are doing this alpine thing in pretty enjoyable weather. There is also an abundance of awesome carving terrain within striking distance, especially if you include the inland B.C. areas. And not nearly as butt ass cold as New England ( born and raised there- started skiiing at Bromley in 69).

Interested in wandering out our way next year to help run a camp? Perhaps when you heal up we might be able to combine forces, maybe even shoot some vid- been talking to Fin for a while about that one as well.

-Sean

:cool:

John:

Being in Canada - I would really appreciate it if someone could video your session and make it available to poor suckers like me.

I know it will not be the same as being there and having your personal expertise, but what will be said and done would be really useful to watch and learn from.

If this is possible - it does not need to be fancy - just your knowledge and expertise.

Thanks

Rob

Still set for Monday 13th BU will do it again later next semester- so anyone who can't make this one can try to make that one.

BU update:

Hey John,

What's up? Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I've been busy

with school work and trying to schedule stuff for the snowboard team

(buses, vans, events, weekendtrips, etc). We went up to Stratton

yesterday...conditions weren't too great but it was fun nonetheless.

So about this dialing clinic...I thought maybe it would be better to do

it at the beginning of next semester. We're also having the Burton

guys come in to do a waxing clinic. Maybe we can work something out

the week before the waxing clinic so the kids will have a better

understanding of how to set up their snowboards on their own.

We have a bunch of events planned for next semester. Video premiere in

the Photonics building for Academy snowboards and maybe a party with

Underground/Ski Market.

We're also doing a Burton Chill benefit party on March 25th in the

basement of the GSU. We're trying to raise money for their Chill

program, which teaches underprivileged kids how to ride. You're more

than welcome to come check it out. Maybe to promote your company and

stuff. We'll be inviting all the snowboard clubs from the surrounding

schools so it might be a good chance to get the name of your company

out. There'll also be live bands, a raffle, and shwag to give out, so

it should be cool.

Let me know what you think.

We should definitely meet up this winter and ride. I just got an suv

so I'll be bringing a posse up to the mountains every chance i get.

Take it easy,

Shin

------------------------------------------

Sean- I actually think the PNW has some of the very best carving conditions.

I used to relish the Outback at Bachelor. ...planar- steep enough... and it went until your legs died. In the Early 1990's Bachleor had more high speed quads than the rest of the West COMBINED! So Mt. Bachelor has always had a place in my heart for ski operations who do things right. I ahve a shot of me in the parking lot with my hands stretched to the sky and there is nearly 45-60 feet of snow above them!

The only other place for carving in the USA that can give such a good carving experience is Sun Valley (Which I have only heard about and never had the lucky opportunity to ride). Aspen's nice- as is Beaver Creek- but Bachelor for super high speed carving is on another level when you hit it at the right time.

________

R1100rt

Biomechanics on the carpet, with John Gilmour? That sounds so naughty JG.

John, if you get enough interest to do a session at SES05, please know that you are welcome at the Fluitt compound and I can get you up to Aspen. I will try to attend this year. A good place to start I reckon. I'm looking forward to carving this year so when our other season rolls around, the legs and lungs are ready.

I need some equipment and some advice. I'll catch you offline. Good luck with the BU gig next week.

gary

JG- Maybe you could consider an end of the season dial down session at Arapahoe Basin in late May Open until July). We can do the slalom skateboarding half of that in Breckenridge on the same weekend, and a small contest down the hill in the Boulder/Golden area. And we can bring Coleman in for a slide clinic...hmmmm.

Originally posted by John Gilmour

Hard Boot carving - Get Dialed In. Monday 6:30 Dec. 13th Boston. (still trying to coordinate with BU) [/b]

Does that mean this will be at BU? Trusting you'll post a more specific location when you know.

6:30 at the Skimarket I did not hear back from Wilderness House as Jack Stevens was away at a Demo at Loon.

We will have to sign binding adjustment waivers but it won't be a problem. Mike O. hooked us up.

YOU MUST bring what wrenches you have. I certainly will not have enough.

Also try to label your tools with a sharpie or tape with sharpie marker so you can identify your own tools.

Likely we will go out for a bite to eat afterwards. I'll bring a video camera if there is a "significant other" bored to tears who feels like filming.

http://www.skimarket.com/

Boston Ski Market

860 Commonwealth Avenue

Boston, MA 02215

Phone: 617-731-6100

Fax: 617-232-4004

Store Hours:

MON-FRI 10-9

SAT 9:30-6

SUN 12-5

Special Holiday Hours through the end of the year:

SAT 9-8

SUN 11-6

Directions from the North or South:

Take Rt. 93 (North or South) to Storrow Drive Westbound. Follow Storrow Drive West to the Fenway/Kenmore exit. Follow the exit ramp towards Kenmore Square. At the end of the ramp, turn right onto Beacon Street. Go 1 block to Kenmore Square. Bear right onto Commonwealth Avenue. The Boston Ski Market is approximately 1 mile down on the left hand side of the street. All parking is on-street meter parking. No parking allowed at the Kidney Center.

Directions from the T:

The Boston Ski Market is located on the "B" line, Green line, at the Boston University West stop. The Ski Market store is located directly across the street.

Directions from the West:

Take the Mass Pike Eastbound to exit 18 (Allston/Cambridge). After the tolls, bear right at the fork in the road. At intersection turn right onto Storrow Drive. Follow to 1st exit for Boston University and turn right. After ramp, turn right onto Commonwealth Avenue. The Boston Ski Market is located approximately 1/4 mile down the road. on the left hand side of the street. All parking is on-street meter parking. No parking allowed at the Kidney Center.

Can we get a head count of who's coming?

________

Permanent life insurance advice

Guest BRAD PETER

John is there any chance you have a board and binding for me to get my settings on if I brought boots.I have a new coiler coming as well as bindings but not in time for mon.

Guest BRAD PETER

Frappe thanks I now have burton plates on my board but wanted to get dialed in with something that has cant/lift options frnt and back(my burtons only have the 7 degree rear cant)I will bring my old board with burton plates anyway so no need to bring your powder board

Originally posted by Rob-CanCarve

PLEASE VIDEO TAPE THE SESSION

John:

If at all possible, please video tape the session.

I would really appreciate a copy to review up here north of the border.

Don't care if it is fancy, just want access to the knowledge and expertise.

dido, would love to see this on tape! Good luck to you!

DrCR

________