Note to New Members ×

Do plate bindings have a left and right?

Willow 15

Just been having my usual pre-season, preamble, drool of the forthcoming weirdo snowboard equipment and found this:-

http://sg-snowboards.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/FULL_CARVE_SG_BOARD_DETAIL_SNOWBOARDS_RIDER_SIGI_GRABNER_LOCATION_SCUOL_PIC_SAM.jpg

Its a good test but if you want lateral movement I would modify the bindungen on this babe.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hooger-Booger-Lite-Wave-early-raceboard-snowboard-Scott-/170546848229?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Skiing_Snowboarding_Snowboards_CV&hash=item27b56261e5

No rubber/elastomer but I think they will be quite spongey.

Maybe this is the answer to people like me who think plate systems are good but can't justify the cost, weight and the bloody extra screws and gubbings that will be lost in the garage. I have a Catek(right) and will swap for a F2titanium/Bomber Sidewinder(right). :1luvu:

i wondered about that. i was thinking maybe to pick up a set of used titanflex/intec bindings for the rear foot.

I have **** loads of crap you can have, borrow and abuse. Bindings, intec's etc. But, can I have a go your Donek board flex equaliser.

P.S. Don't take it to a fridge, you won't get one decsent turn in. Play on words I know, but save it for the masssive amount of snow that is comming this winter.There are hardbooters around, but they are not normal, give them a bit of space. I know one in Laggan and one in Kingussie. Everyone a Scotch pusssie. x

I have **** loads of crap you can have, borrow and abuse. Bindings, intec's etc. But, can I have a go your Donek board flex equaliser.

P.S. Don't take it to a fridge, you won't get one decsent turn in. Play on words I know, but save it for the masssive amount of snow that is comming this winter.There are hardbooters around, but they are not normal, give them a bit of space. I know one in Laggan and one in Kingussie. Everyone a Scotch pusssie. x

'course you can, once it arrives. i've already had the 184GS on the slope at braehead. it was do-able, but a danger. it was utterly terrifying until i got used to the way it catapults out of corners. the silberpfeil feels like a trick board in comparison.

i'll be there tomorrow night if you fancy the trip. maybe my BTS will have arrived by then too.

F2 is the front binding on the pic. TD3 with yellow moves quite a bit, though...

Back to left/right story...

- The bindings with built in cant have left and right, but theoretically, you could switch the toe and heel blocks and make right into left;

- Fritchi/Crazy Creek bindings have built in cant AND left and right toe/heel blocks - one has built in toe lift, other one built in heel lift.

- Plastic Blax bindings have assymetrical bases (no built in cant, just weird shape base).

I´m here :D ,but I must admit that I´m not 100% sure what you are trying to get at in this thread ...

After Sigi´s binding failed him, he was looking for other options (as Fin already posted somewhere here).

Maybe the setup on the picture is used because of the different flex, but maybe it is just used this way to have a direct comparison ... hard to tell. There are also pictures where he uses the Sidewinders on both feet.

Sigi was using (heavily adapted) Atomic boots in Telluride, but if my memory serves me right, he was using Northwaves again for the Olympics.

And he seems to have tested and even built several plates in the off season.

Having a different setup for the front and back foot has been an issue for quite some time - hardboot/softboot mix, different dampeners for the bindings, different tongues in the boots, etc. Whatever feels "right" for you and helps you feel comfortable on the board.

I didn't say it!

Dave, what is the difference? I seem to remember Burtons having those markings but I could never tell what it meant.

If you look at the baseplate, you can see that there are differently sized holes on the inside and the outside.

But I just got confirmation from the builder that that´s more or less cosmetic.

I never felt a difference when riding ...

In the attached image you'll notice 2 extra webs (A) on the right hand side of the baseplate. In this case, the right side is where the binding is marked "inside".

Also, you will notice cut-outs (B)at the heel and toe that become slightly larger towards the 'outside'.

Those two things are supposed to provide the baseplate with an asymmetric flex.

post-35-141842322892_thumb.jpg