Note to New Members ×

Coaching on plates

lowrider

As a coach i plan to go out to Colorado for about a month this October and November to test the new equipment in alpine, boardercross, and freeride applications.. I am looking forward to trying the Bomber and Donek Plate systems and compare them to what i have been riding.

I have been a convert to the Vist system for 2 or 3 years now and am intersted to see the evolution. My initial feeling is new riders to plates will have to get used to a lot less feedback and almost a dead feeling (for those of us in Ontario used to bone chattering ice). Riders i have put on Vist plates took a few days of freeriding to get used to the feel and weight, but once they were comfortable with them loved the system in gates, and I have to get my plates back from my riders (they wont give them back).

I absolutely agree with Neil that riders must first get comfy with any change to their set up before jumping into gates. As far as techniques and drills i found just allowing my riders to explore the new equipment and discover what is possible on their own has been pretty successful. Most of the time in am encouraging them to trust in the gear more and not be as tentative.