Note to New Members ×

skinny leg help

Carp

I've got really skinny legs...cross country runner awhile back. I've got the deeluxe Indy's and from the looks of it looks like it will work well. I've got the booster strap and have had the thermoflex liners fitted. However, I still have to crank down on the top two straps and the shell overlaps and the buckles have a tendency to pop open. I tried cutting to shape some dense foam, and tried clueing it to the inside of the shell between the shell and the liner to add some volume. Looked like it was going to work, however it didn't stick and the foam I think was a bit too dense. I really need to create some volume around my shins toward the top of the boot. My next trial was to by some 1/4-1/2" neoprene sleeve, but don't know if that will work or where to find something like that. Can anyone help or have some other suggestions. When I say I've got skinny legs I really mean it. Deeluxe doesn't make shorter straps for the Indy's either as I thought that would work too.

I have the same issue and have had very good luck with wrapping the cuff area of the liner with sticky back boot fitting foam ( can be found at most good ski shops). I've used 1/4" thick foam and had very good results.

It can make the cuff of the boot a bit stiff but that can be taken care of by using strips of foam instead of a sheet.

It's important to not distort the shell of the boot trying to get it tight enough. If the shell is distorted it won't feel right and it certainly won't flex the way it was designed to. Ideally the shell cuff should be parallel to your calf when tightened. If your calf is small in diameter the shell will tend to squeaze in at the top and create pressure points and the flex will be wierd at best.

I hope that makes sense to someone other than me........

Dave

Originally posted by rikytheripster

............getting some training in to make them grow. Fair enough u might be a hardgainer but everyone can put muscle on. Or alternatively, as a lazy option get some padding.

It may not help solve the problem... for example, my calf muscles won't bulk up low enough on my leg to impact boot fit.

In your case, you might really need a fully foam-injected liner used for ski boots.

A "good" bootfitter can actually also take the liner apart and fill the gap between

the heel pocket (injected foam) and the calf with additional liner padding. This will

create extra (needed) stability and fill the "hole" between your high sitting calf and

the heel pocket where the heel (foam) pocket ends.

Ray

yeah would agree with you with regards to being hard to develop- they are. However your calf insertion point(mentioned earlier) is important, lower down would be ideal to fil the lower region of the boot but again as in basic calf size is down to genetics. If it is quite a large amount of space that needs filling then padding of some sort would be the way to go as your calves capacity for growth, as was rightly said is slow and painful. although off season leg training for general boarding fitness might give you some more size as well as improving overall strength, conditioning, etc