Note to New Members ×

What are some good video cameras?

Dave Winters

The Epic HD's seem to be pretty good too. I ride with a couple of people who have and like them. A little bit cheaper than the Go-Pro and seem to do the same sort of job.

My boss has a GoPro and swears by it, but the new 5MP HD one uses an MP4 format that can be a pain to convert. But the pics from it are very, very good, even on the 52" big screen in our office.

Hero GoPro HD :1luvu:

+1 on the GoPro HD :biggthump

Allee, they´re not a pain at all, as long as your editing software can handle that MP4, and can export in AVI or Quicktime (10 times lesser data then AVI) formats. But one needs a lot of Ram/CPU for rendering.

will send you and Dave a PM with a sample

Eric

What computer do you have (specs for cpu / ram / video etc)?

The "old" gopro helmet hero which shoots 640x480 works like a champ, is relatively cheap, and you can edit video on virtually any computer made within the past five years. Biggest shortcoming of this camera is that it uses aaa batteries, and doesn't perform at its best unless you use lithium AAAs. I saw these at our local costco over the summer for under $100.

Screen capture from the "old" gopro hero 5:

3367105602_2b8b238fd9.jpg

The "new" gopro hd has a rechargeable battery and pretty stunning video and image quality. Biggest downside is that it definitely takes some processor power to edit HD video (any HD video, not just from the gopro). So if he wants to get into editing too, you'd better either have a nice computer purchased within the last year or two (and if it's that old, it better have been a smoking fast machine then), or plan on buying one pronto.

photo from gopro HD (with some color tweaking in picasa):

45960_1508795512826_1022463014_3066615_794779_n.jpg

I have the Go Pro HD and it's awesome but my computer is most def not up to task. As a consequence I have more SD cards than I should and I just run it through the big screen.

Dave, the literature that came with suggests that the Go Pro HD is recognized by the Mac as an independent hard-drive and just takes over when connected. If you'd like I'll check that and get back with the passage's exact language. Sounds like just the thing. And the camera is awesome - Go Pro's own site does a good job showing it off.

mac or pc will both work fine. Using "mac" (hackintosh pc running OSX) now and honestly I think that windows 7 and a decent editing program is just as good. You don't "need" a mac, but it will work well if you get one. I'd just spring for the fastest one you can possibly afford. Which costs about twice as much as a comparable PC.