Note to New Members ×

Head Heels

scrapster

Scapster,

You HEAD boots are Intec Compatible so any Intec heel will work. We sell replacement heels for the Deeluxe boots and they work fine on the HEADS.

We are out of our fancy urethane ones but we have the stock ones here:

http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/parts_heel_pads.cfm

BINGO, pretty hard to beat that!!

Hi Fin, are you going to make a run of blue or yellow ones so they can be color co-ordinated with the td3 elastomers? ;)

my only boots being the HSPs, i am curious as to what the material is like on those deeluxe heels compared to the stock heads. are they similar to the hard heels or the soft ones? or somewhere inbetween?

If I recall correctly. The factory Head heels are similar to the Deeluxe/Raichle factory heels in stiffness. Both are stiffer than the trick Bomber replacement heels.

Note: I have notices some differences in the durometer of factory heels from all brands. Keeping in mind they have been produced for quite a few years.

do deeluxe heels also come in two sets?

the head heels (which i presume to both be stiffer than bombers) come in two sets, each with very different stiffnesses.

if I remember correctly stiffness felt to me like this first being stiffest

burton

head, the stiffer set you get with the boots

raichle

head soft (which sucked, deformed and basically crushed on me)

I don't like head heels at all if the above did not give that away;)

I don't think its that they are too soft though it's the design, too little material. IME the burton heel last the longest by quite a margin......

no idea where the bomber ones fit in have not used those

do deeluxe heels also come in two sets?

the head heels (which i presume to both be stiffer than bombers) come in two sets, each with very different stiffnesses.

No, not to my knowledge.

I guess I forgot about Head providing the two sets of differing flex. Thanks for pointing that out.

if I remember correctly stiffness felt to me like this first being stiffest

burton

head, the stiffer set you get with the boots

raichle

head soft (which sucked, deformed and basically crushed on me)

I don't like head heels at all if the above did not give that away;)

I don't think its that they are too soft though it's the design, too little material. IME the burton heel last the longest by quite a margin......

no idea where the bomber ones fit in have not used those

So it goes something like this (in order of stiffness)

Fintec

Intec

Burton

Head (hard)

Raichle

Head (soft)

Bomber

Good stuff, it would be nice to have this as a reference list , something Mr Firestone might add to his incredible site?

my only boots being the HSPs, i am curious as to what the material is like on those deeluxe heels compared to the stock heads. are they similar to the hard heels or the soft ones? or somewhere inbetween?

very-very correct! you CANNOT safely use soft heels on head boots, so only safe option is stiff original heels, or INTEC heels - as a replacement - for use in non-stepin bidings!

too much heel tearage to experiment - using deeluxe standard replacement heels on heads is a BAD idea, for riders of considerable weight (80+kg) and-or agression.

So it goes something like this (in order of stiffness)

Fintec

Intec

Burton

Head (hard)

Raichle

Head (soft)

Bomber

Good stuff, it would be nice to have this as a reference list , something Mr Firestone might add to his incredible site?

could add the stock UPZ about the same as raichle but have potential to deform in a inconsistent manner on bindings that have a small surface area where the heel makes contact with the heel block.

the ski and touring ledges available for UPZ are solid plastic and are of course at the top.

very-very correct! you CANNOT safely use soft heels on head boots, so only safe option is stiff original heels, or INTEC heels - as a replacement - for use in non-stepin bidings!

too much heel tearage to experiment - using deeluxe standard replacement heels on heads is a BAD idea, for riders of considerable weight (80+kg) and-or agression.

I used burton heels with no issues for a short time...... does not mean it's a good idea but my theory being that since it's plastic and hard where it mates with the boot it might help the boot from exploding. no engineer though.

I used burton heels with no issues for a short time...... does not mean it's a good idea but my theory being that since it's plastic and hard where it mates with the boot it might help the boot from exploding. no engineer though.

haven't seen burton heels, sure they may be rather stiff too, but really if you need to replace heels on modern HSP - real option is intec (maybe with broken mech and without handles)..

I am curious, how is putting a softer heel on a Head boot different than other boots? Same heel, same DIN, same bindings? I would expect we would be having the same results more frequently? Is that the case? Curious why they would be different?

I am curious, how is putting a softer heel on a Head boot different than other boots? Same heel, same DIN, same bindings? I would expect we would be having the same results more frequently? Is that the case? Curious why they would be different?

it's sure fact of life. yes - same heel same DIN same bindings. but different mold, different shell material (way softer than deeluxe - so deluxe heels would break like glass, but head heels would tear like leather), different heel pad surrounding construction... so heel bail support of boot with soft heel pad can stand the forces of riding on deeluxe, but only so much on HSP. i've usually needed only couple of days to destroy them, and all (!) other 190+lbs riders known to me DO tear heel support on boots if erroneously started with soft original heel pads

yesterday I took my lady' sb325 with new replacement raichle heel, though - and found that it is rather stiff - so possibly can work on strati... but counting on my extensive experience - I cannot recommend this, maybe for possibly lightweight and-or beginner riders.