Note to New Members ×

Testing Donek Boards At Mt. Hood

neil sunday

Hello Peoples,

I just got back from a week at Mt. Hood coaching the 2010 US Snowboarding Project Gold Alpine Camp.

I feel it is necesary to tell a little story about how determined, and cool Sean Martin at Donek Snowboards was to us... When I phoned Sean and told him about our camp, he sent me 4 boards to try as well as a plate system he is working on.

The boards and plate rode wonderfully. I got dialed in on a particular plate and board after three days of experimenting, and let me say this...

GIVE Sean and Donek a try! The products he is producing are right with some of the same World Cup race boards.... And he is in our backyard!

Nothing beats the ability to send an email or phone call and talk to him directly on what's working and what's not... It's a nice change!

I am personally giving Sean a thumb's up for all the $$$, effort and time he has invested in racing, and for making a US board a legitimate contender again.

I will be purchasing about 6 Donek Snowboards for kids on my team this year, and would be happy to answer any of your questions... Again- I'm not getting paid for this endorsement, and I rode Kesslers for the last 4 years.

I just feel that props should be given when they are due-- and Sean at Donek is working non-stop to produce boards that compete with the current WC environment.

Neil,

Hope you and your team enjoyed Mt. Hood. Haven't been there in 20 years. Was planning to get some time there this summer but my injured shoulder is telling me otherwise.

Thanks for your report and info regarding the new Doneks. Having purchased several boards from Sean in the last few years I would agree. He is great to work with and his new boards/constructions are quite good.

A good chunk of my board budget has been allocated to Donek again this year for 2 decks and a plate system. Any specific feedback on the plate?

Thanks and take care, Tom

Great feedback. . . .

Which boards did Sean get you on, and which version of the plate system did you ride? The first one that is sandwich construction, or one of the capped constructions?

I can't wait to get riding and racing on this stuff this winter.

Sweetsooziep,

Since you are in Tahoe I would suggest trying to get hold of Mort Nyberg, Squaw Valley Snowboard Team. Mort is a very good coach/racer, knowledgeable about equipment and very fun loving. Although Mort doesn't focus on Alpine anymore due to most of his kids going BX he still can coach it really well. Mort was a sight to watch in SL and did very well in GS as well. He may also have some insight as to other "recommended" coaches in Tahoe.

Good luck to you and your sons. I hope to be as supportive of KarverKai's activities as well.

Ink

Great feedback. . . .

Which boards did Sean get you on, and which version of the plate system did you ride? The first one that is sandwich construction, or one of the capped constructions?

I can't wait to get riding and racing on this stuff this winter.

does this mean we will see you at some races this winter?!?!?

does this mean we will see you at some races this winter?!?!?

That's the plan right now! We have kid number 2 on the way, which will likely keep me in MA most of the time this winter. So I figure rather then big weekends, I will be looking for a week night racing league either at Nashoba, Ward or the Wa!

Going thought all this talk of new board shapes and plates has given me the itch to actually get in the gates with the new stuff!!!

That's the plan right now! We have kid number 2 on the way, which will likely keep me in MA most of the time this winter. So I figure rather then big weekends, I will be looking for a week night racing league either at Nashoba, Ward or the Wa!

Going thought all this talk of new board shapes and plates has given me the itch to actually get in the gates with the new stuff!!!

man up and race USASA. Then you'll have a great excuse to take a week in copper in April!