Note to New Members ×

Drowning doesn't look like drowning

two_ravens

Many of us play in the water - this article about the Instinctive Drowning Response might be useful. I had never heard of this until today, though I've seen it once when trying to tow a swimming ducky paddler to shore (I was in a hard shell kayak) and it was very disconcerting that even when I put my stern within inches of his hand he made no effort to reach for it. We got him to shore alive in class IV whitewater - group effort - very lucky.

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

(Thanks go to Dr D for posting on facebook.)

Glad you guys found the article useful. My favorite line from it is:

"...drowning people cannot voluntarily control their arm movements. Physiologically, drowning people who are struggling on the surface of the water cannot stop drowning and perform voluntary movements such as waving for help, moving toward a rescuer, or reaching out for a piece of rescue equipment."

Makes so much sense when someone points that out....

absolutely correct...and good choice for OT

saved a little kid when I was @12 surfing on a school morning (the boy even had an innertube)!

I'll never forget what a drowning person looks like (vertical no screaming, detrimental 'involuntary' movements, etc)... that is likely how the guard was able to spot the child through the parent's foolishness.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason I couldn't see the video. We just had a raft guide die on the Arkansas 2 weeks ago.

First year raft guide, first year in CO - living the dream. She was on a private trip and was ejected out of the boat. They still haven't found her.

I knew her, she was my old roomate's best friend from college. She stayed at my house, and was in an out as those two hung out for both of their first fun filled year in Colorado.

23 yrs old. Very very sad.

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20100721/NEWS/100729968&parentprofile=search

WW entrapments are always very sad to hear about. With seven recorded fatalities at this spot, definitely not a place to risk swimming.

I would be with the dynamite and back hoe crowd on this one, especially as it's a commercially rafted river (unless of course the raft company tell all guest that seven people have drowned here, before they raft that section).