Note to New Members ×

coiler and import costs?

D-Sub

because of NAFTA, right?

then...why when I ship stuff to canada have the recipients been hit with fees?

oh wait..those were "brokerage fees"

will I pay those for my coiler? that **** really pissed me off. TWICE the recipients didnt pay and FedEx wanted ME to pay! I told them to stuff it.

If you've already got something on it's way to you by UPS, you can request that you broker it yourself. Call UPS with your tracking number and ask for details on brokering a package yourself.

I do this all the time for eBay stuff from sellers that will only ship UPS. It's convenient for me as I work close to the UPS and Canada Customs offices.

Canada Post/USPS is the cheapest and easiest option if you have the choice.

They give you the full details if you call 1-800-PICK-UPS. A quick summary though:

-you go to UPS office and pick up paperwork

-take paperwork to Canada Customs office

-Customs agent looks at declared value and item description to figure out how much duty/tax you owe (bring eBay/PayPal printouts in case there is any doubt or errors)

-pay smiling clerk at Customs, he/she stamps paperwork for UPS

At this point you have a choice;

-you can leave the paperwork with Customs and UPS will deliver the package later

or

-you can take the paperwork to the UPS depot and pick up your package

I think this can all be done by fax too, but I'm not sure. All the offices are fairly close in most cities as they send a LOT of packages and paperwork back and forth.

This has saved me hundreds if not thousands in fees! It's shocking how much the fees add up to over time.