Note to New Members ×

Tandem K2 Trucker snowboard

heroshmero

I got the idea for this when I saw somebody that had rigged one up and was riding with a small child. I set this up for me and my four year old son.

I took this old K2 Trucker, got some cutting board material and mounted some old kid snowshoe bindings to it. Also, I used a strap to wrap around his chest and my knees to hold him up.

The lifties seemed like they were bending the rules to let me take him up.

It was super fun.

Check the videos in the next post.

post-3376-141842309862_thumb.jpg

post-3376-141842309864_thumb.jpg

Video shot by my six year old.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gWiBh_xpSw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gWiBh_xpSw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="385"></embed></object>

And the hand held shot (with a short shot of my six year old boarding with us). My four year old starts saying "easy way" because I told him we were taking the easy way down. Then it turns into some kind of mantra.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEihXcYbyqs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEihXcYbyqs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="385"></embed></object>

That helmet seems like it's in a dangerous spot.

Yeah, all things considered I took it very carefully. But by the end of five runs (that vid was taken on the second) it was really easy. I never really felt like we were going to fall except maybe when we had to stop, try to balance and wait for my other son.

That is just so great!!!!! Thanks for posting this! I came home from work grumpy but now I feel soooo much better and I'm smiling again.

Amen to that.

I'm now thinking how I can rig one of those up and how soon before I can get my 4 1/2 month old out riding with me.

I'm now thinking how I can rig one of those up and how soon before I can get my 4 1/2 month old out riding with me.

I just got some longer screws and drilled holes through the cutting board material for my bindings. Then I screwed the kid bindings to the cutting board. I didn't have to make any changes to the snowboard at all.

The one complicating factor is dealing with the lift. The lifties at my hill are pretty cool and some of them recognize me. They have a "no foot traffic" rule but they allowed me to take him up anyway. I just had him run up to load the chair and then I picked him up and rode off the chair to unload.

It occurred to me later that I could have taken him up with his little skis and then taken the skis off and stashed them in a backpack. That way nobody could say we were breaking any rules to load/unload the chair.

As for your kid being 4 1/2 months old, you will probably have to wait until he's older. One of the things I had to remind my kid, until he figured it out, was to use his legs to stand up. I realized that the force in the turns was pushing him down into a crouch. So, I would say go for it as soon as you think your kid is strong enough.

Good luck!

So you're filming with one hand, holding him with the other, snowboarding.....

you make the rest of us look plain lazy with your multitasking.

Well, truth be told, the pucker factor was a little high on that run. Didn't want to drop the camera or crash and smash the kid.

It was a lot of fun after a few more runs of practice and not worrying about holding the camera.

It occurred to me later that I could have taken him up with his little skis and then taken the skis off and stashed them in a backpack. That way nobody could say we were breaking any rules to load/unload the chair.

There was a brief period in snowboard history when snowboarders actually needed to load the chair with skis and then stow them so they could ride their snowboards down. They were called a "Lift Ski". Keep in mind not all ski areas went through this period. Interesting none the less.

There was a brief period in snowboard history when snowboarders actually needed to load the chair with skis and then stow them so they could ride their snowboards down. They were called a "Lift Ski". Keep in mind not all ski areas went through this period. Interesting none the less.

Bryan,

The first year I rode Berthoud Ski Area we actually walked to and from the chair CARRYING our boards. This was good for hiding ones self from the winds but nothing else. Many wipeouts occured trying to run off the lift.

After seeing how easy the skiers got off the lift I decided to strap in for the lift ride and remember my fins breaking through the ice on the off ramp, stopping the board, me falling and getting pummeled by the chair. I came up with my hat and goggles all twisted and crooked on my face. After that I trimmed my fins to the same depth as the board thickness, added a set to the front (quad fin) and started to ride somewhat packed snow. Shortly thereafter metal edges showed up on Burtons.

Ink

Bryan, you are correct sir! In fact, it was Alta that required that snowboarders (then it was Winterstickers) wear lift skis. Alta allowed snowboards on their slopes for a short period of time many years ago.

Back to our thread:

Hero: great idea, man! That looks a lot safer than the baby backpacks that I see the moms and dads wearing with 'junior' clamped on to them.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
That first pic is hilariously awesome. Just be careful man. The thought of you catching a toeside edge.... *shudder*

Yeah, it wouldn't be good for either of us!

I take it pretty easy. No gettin' rad.

Next season I plan to get him on his own board. Hopefully he'll take to that, though it has been a fun little experiment.

I wonder if windsurfer foot straps would be safer and easier than snowshoe bindings?

They probably would be easier to get into but I wanted the heel retention so that there wasn't any chance of his feet slipping out during riding. It was a bit of a pain balancing there with him and getting his feet into and out of the bindings but for a handful of runs on a spring day... it was all worth it. Too much fun.