Note to New Members ×

Epic moments

photodad2001

What are some of the most "epic" moments you've had riding? Doesn't have to be carving. What are the most memorable times you've had snowboarding that will never be forgoten? I remember one time back in the early 90's we were getting some seriously dry, deep powder and I knew if I waited till the lifts opened the next day that the fresh would be gone in no time so around 11:00 pm I started my drive to the local hill. It took forever because if I went too fast the snow would blow over the windshield and I couldn't see anything. Took me almost 3 times as long to get there but around 2:00 in the moring I arrived. It had stopped snowing on my way up and I started hiking in the dark. The skies had cleared and the moon was about 3/4's so I could make out the surface just barely. On the first run I couldn't believe how quiet it was. Just the wind blowing past my ears. About half way down I went over a wind drift that I hadn't seen coming and became airborn. I floated for what seemed an eternity and I could barely tell I had landed. After one more hike/run I was spent and went home feeling super stoaked.

Small pow day last year at the local hill about a foot of light fresh stuff. My 8 year old daughter and I showed up early and had a while till the lifts opened. I asked her if she wanted to just sit around or hike up the hill and get a run. She got an incredulous, wide eyed look on her face and said "We can do that?" So we took our time hiking up the lower half of the hill, step step rest, step step rest... got her in her skis at the top of the run that comes down right in front of the lodge and I told her she hiked it so she earned first tracks. She picked her way slowly down through the snow that was over her knees. I followed and got to witness the stunned, "son of a bitch" looks on guys faces who were coming out of the lodge to line up for first chair, as they realized they had been beaten to it by an eight year old girl. Priceless!

I followed and got to witness the stunned, "son of a bitch" looks on guys faces who were coming out of the lodge to line up for first chair, as they realized they had been beaten to it by an eight year old girl. Priceless!

:lol::lol::lol: Awesome!!! My daughter (9) had her first fresh untracked powder experience this year.:biggthump

Just a few that I remember off-hand:

2009-10

Hero carving day on Springboard at Blackcomb. One of the best snow condition for carving, ever. Empty slope, good company of carvers...

2007-08

Heavy snow and wind storm kept Cypress closed for the day. Then they opened for the night skiing. Scooby, Dave and myself showed up for the 1st tracks in over 2ft of fresh.

WES 2006

First few runs on softish but very smooth pack at Whistler on a board that could handle the speed. One of my carving brake-throughs...

1989?

Mt Kopaonik, arrival to the mountain top on a very clear and cold spring day, caused the "satori" type of sudden clarity and calmness of the mind and feeling of the "one". It was just what I needed, at a very stresfull stage in my life.

1985?

Riding a super slow chair in terrible cold, next to a girl I was crazy about. We set tight to each other just to keep warm. We never got to be a real coupple, but even today I clearly remember the feeling of our tighs firmly against each other...

Wednesday at SES 2008. It dumped almost a foot overnight, and a group of us were at rope drop on Gunners View at Snowmass. I remember surfing through the powder on the side of the trees, and all you could hear was a chorus of "Woohoo!" in front, behind, and off to both sides. Just one of those moments of pure, good-to-be-alive joy.

Whitefish, Jan 2008 - it snowed solidly for almost two days before the Monday morning came up bluebird. The snow at the top of Big Ravine was thigh deep and untracked. I remember poor Kathy behind me, stuck on a raceboard in pow, wailing "I don't know how to ride in this!!!" "Just point downhill and stay on your feet ...":)

Kicking Horse Resort, Jan 2006. Riding up the Stairway to Heaven lift and breaking through the cloud to a perfect blue sky day in the alpine, with the air full of swirling and shimmering ice crystals. At the top of the lift you could look down and see snow covered peaks slicing through the cloud cover. Unbelievably beautiful.

Then I built a Halfpipe in the backyard...:D

and...then showed him the Ocean...:eplus2:

Cold Surf is headed into the Future !

I'm excited about starting my daughter windsurfing this year. Up till now she's just riden on the nose or been towed behind on a body board. I got her a new Neil Pryde 2.5 youth sail with a 370 Bump n' Jump Jr. mast and boom. Just going to have her learn on one of my boards at first. I've also got her into longboard skatboarding and in-line racing. There's a mellow slope we go to and she likes riding "coffin" style down it like a street luge.:biggthump