Note to New Members ×

Burton Fish 156 "HD"

bumpyride

Guest AlpentalRider

I haven't personally used it, but alot of the guys I know at the Burton forums have and they love it for pow days here in the Pacific Northwest. It's a quick turning board that really excels in tree runs doing medium to short radius turns in our thick pow.

It also does ok on groomers, but should really be considered a pow board. The 156HD would be a good choice if you weigh around 140-180. Any heavier then that, and I would go with a 160 personally.

Hi. I have a Fish in my quiver since a couple of years. And it works well both on and of pist. Nice edge hold and quick turning in soft pist. But you cant really flex it because of the backmounting of the bindings. Not the ultimate carvingboard... I´m riding it with softboots thou. But I guess it could work fine with soft plates and soft and not so stiff hardboots - Le Mans for instance.

any help?

Mats

Does anyone know how the Fish compares to the Prior Khyber? More or less a pow-specific ride?

I demo'd the khyber when I was in Whistler this past march. It was a wicked board. A lot of fun in powder and moguls. Its very turny. Its hard to carve it since your stance is so far back and the 20mm of taper is a lot.

If your looking to pick one up for carving, I wouldn't. If you want a board that will be a blast to ride in pow, and get you through the tightest glades, then you won't be disappointed.

As for Fish Vs. Khyber, they don't really compete. The Fish is a pure powder board. It has 25mm of taper. Burton released the Malolo this year which is nearly identicle in size/shape to the Khyber (the Malolo has 20mm of taper too).

The Khyber is named after the Khyber pass in Whistler, which from what I was told is pretty narly.

The Khyber 160 will be mine sometime this winter :)

Guest thomas_m

I was really thinking about next year as I don't have the experience to go deep BC this season. However, a Khyber(maybe a Khyber Split) sounded like the tool for powder humting in the near-backcountry of Apental/CrystalMtn/StevensPass/MtBaker, my local spots.

Thanks,

Thomas

Take a look at Pogos longboard if your looking for a powderboard. I heard lot of good things about them. Good floating and tight turning, and youre supposed to be able to ride them as a freeride board as well. Not just powder. And they look beutiful. Like an old balsa surfboard. Check out www.pogo.biz

I actually wait for a 180 to be delivered.

mats

Originally posted by Mats

Take a look at Pogos longboard if your looking for a powderboard. I heard lot of good things about them. Good floating and tight turning, and youre supposed to be able to ride them as a freeride board as well. Not just powder. And they look beutiful. Like an old balsa surfboard. Check out www.pogo.biz

I actually wait for a 180 to be delivered.

mats

At over $1,000 USD, they better be awesome boards.

Yo Bumpy

I have the 156HD Fish.

I ride it in the woods at Jay Peak, VT.

It is a blast in powder, a great tree dodger and feels good with both softies or flexy plate bindings. I ride it with Burton Missions for softies and Raichle X-Bones for plates. It is more than adequate for making some turns, but as someone said, there is so much setback to achieve pow float that it's conversely not a great carver.

Cant wait to get in those trees!

Anyone around 150 pounds ridden the Minnow (Fish 150)?

Before I started riding a pure alpine board, I had a Burton Air 155, and then was riding an Amp 5, which works pretty well up to about 15" deep. I know that the 150 Fish is only rated to 120 pounds, but I have a Sauna, (Not too serious about that. I know that the Fish 150 is wider and softer than the Amp 5, and the stance is a bit narrower than the Fish 156.

Thanks to everyone responding, it's helping a bunch.

Guest AlpentalRider

Riding a Fish 150 would be equivelent to riding a 154 cm board when you are in pow. Unless your really light (under a buck-twenty), it is not going to be as good a board as the 156. Try demoing both lengths and you'll instantly see what I mean.

I bought a 156 HD last season and rode it two days. Great flippy trippy feel, indeed like a fish. Going through the trees was a blast with such a short tail and pow setback. I'm looking forward to trying it this year with X-Bones and hardboots. As far as carving goes, it didn't carve well for me with relaxed binding angles and soft boots. Also, it has a pretty short effective edge on groomed runs. It doesn't really matter because I won't be riding it unless there are fresh tracks to swim through. Very fun board.

As discussed many times before, the O'Sin 4807 is a sweet powder board that also carves very well. A lot of people love this board and I haven't heard from anyone that doesn't love it. I bought the 178cm last year on Ebay for $150 shipped (still in the wrapper).

Carve on, Hugh