Note to New Members ×

$27.93 Mold-It-Yourself Footbed

boarderboy

The Sole low-volume model in-store at REI. (Just checked - avail. on-line, too)

Bobdea said these are the stiffest/firmest Sole makes.

Can't find the original, fairly recent thread.

I'm gonna try em.

BB

I don't see any online except for the $45 ed v models along with the Dean models.

those low volume ones that I have are really hard and I don't think they are for everyone. I like mine but after riding on them it's obvious I was on a hard surface all day.

Nice concept, but (3) problems:

1) Sole too thick. Depends on foot shape, but takes up too much room.

2) DIY typically means less technical. When a "professional" molds an insole, they will align your knee/ankles properly to adjust for your situation/boot cuff.

3) No posting on the bottom. This is perhaps the most important. Custom insoles apply a "basement" to the insole to properly align the foot when it pronates

So...basically all you're getting with a Sole is a half ass'd arch support. That's better than stock, but hardly a custom solution.

K

So...basically all you're getting with a Sole is a half ass'd arch support. That's better than stock, but hardly a custom solution.

K

Unless you have a belt sander, some cork tiles, and some patience to figure out what works for you.

I have pretty low arches and Sole footbeds don't conform enough for me to be comfortable, even with a lot of grinding.

BobD

Nice concept, but (3) problems:

1) Sole too thick. Depends on foot shape, but takes up too much room.

2) DIY typically means less technical. When a "professional" molds an insole, they will align your knee/ankles properly to adjust for your situation/boot cuff.

3) No posting on the bottom. This is perhaps the most important. Custom insoles apply a "basement" to the insole to properly align the foot when it pronates

K

agreed, but, for the money they are as good as it gets, better than something like superfeet IME.

with footbeds you really do get what you pay for. $150 and up is just plain more than what most people are willing to pay for a footbed and that's the problem.

agreed, but, for the money they are as good as it gets, better than something like superfeet IME.

with footbeds you really do get what you pay for. $150 and up is just plain more than what most people are willing to pay for a footbed and that's the problem.

Disagree.

The OTS Superfeet actually have a nice post under the heel. Assuming the arch meets your requirements, this would be a much better solution than a SOLE.

K

Disagree.

The OTS Superfeet actually have a nice post under the heel. Assuming the arch meets your requirements, this would be a much better solution than a SOLE.

K

IME in my experience. I've used superfeet and they were super painful. I know that's not for everyone though.

I do have a wedge under one of my soles, helped. other than that they do work for my arches, all I really needed for it to work. I don't think anyone is saying they are competitive with something done by a pro.

thing is, I have weird ass hobbit feet. probably why I'm happy with anything as long as my arch can deal with it.