Note to New Members ×

Kessler Skis

BobD

I just bought a pair of 171, but looking around the net, I found this deal on the 163...$312 free shipping

http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/Palmer-P02-All-Mountain-Performance-Skis.asp

They are rebranded by Palmer Snowboards, but are the same specs as Kesslers.

I would have bought them as well, but equipment budgets already blown.

BobD

So I finally got ou the 171s today. I normally ski on Metrons, Ficsher race, and Dynastar race. It was like going from an FP to a Kessler board. Everything people have said about the new boards, applies to these skis, including the different sound. They were totally effortless. Now I just have to bend the brake arms up as they are dragging in the snow.

Hope someone from here bought those 163s. They deserve to go to a real carver.

BobD

Please tell me they weigh half as much as the Metrons or less. I think Metron is a contraction of "Metric Ton".

So the Palmers are actually made by Kessler? I wonder if anyone on the World Cup is trying Kessler skis. Gotta admit I'm tempted by Head skis after watching the Olympics!

I haven't skied regularly for 20 years and it's been about 10 since I last stepped on a pair, but just for the heck of it I rented a pair of Rossignal Avenger 82s at Sun Peaks last week. These have titanal in them as well. Smooooth. You can really feel them just oozing over the terrain, great grip. Skis have come a long way. I'm almost tempted to get into it again but no way can I justify the cost.

Please tell me they weigh half as much as the Metrons or less. I think Metron is a contraction of "Metric Ton".

So the Palmers are actually made by Kessler? I wonder if anyone on the World Cup is trying Kessler skis. Gotta admit I'm tempted by Head skis after watching the Olympics!

They are very light. I read that someone thought they recognized some Head characteristics with the construction. They use the Tyrolia carve plate and bindings that Head do, so that might make sense. I'm going to do some Nastar runs tomorrow, to see if they are fast, as well as fun.

BobD

They are very light. I read that someone thought they recognized some Head characteristics with the construction. They use the Tyrolia carve plate and bindings that Head do, so that might make sense. I'm going to do some Nastar runs tomorrow, to see if they are fast, as well as fun.

BobD

Ah, so we're not sure if they're made by Kessler or not, eh? Either way, sounds good, and the price is right. My wife needs new skis, the 155 would be good if I can sell her on them.

...I wonder if anyone on the World Cup is trying Kessler skis.

No.

Gotta admit I'm tempted by Head skis after watching the Olympics!

Head race skis are really nice. A good combination of power and forgiveness. Of course, at the World Cup level the brand of skis the big name players use is based on sponsorship money. Racer's skis are all hand built, custom made to what they like and are fast on, so the brand name is meaningless. At that level they all are on great skis.

Ah, so we're not sure if they're made by Kessler or not, eh? Either way, sounds good, and the price is right. My wife needs new skis, the 155 would be good if I can sell her on them.

They have Kessler FLF right on them, and they do not look like they came off a production line. When you use them, the Feels Like Flying FLF makes sense.

BobD

• 3 weeks later...

Just took delivery of the 155s for my wife. Indeed, they have the Kessler logo right on them - cool!! The skis look great. Deep cut, metal top and botom, decambered noses, and they definitely look handmade. If she doesn't like them I will take them! Thanks for the tip BobD!

I saw some of the freeride skis today. They looked really nice. They are very springy. There is some thick carbon in the middle portion of the ski, and the flex felt solid in the middle (especially around the toe area) combined with some early tip and tail rise. Bola has a demo at All Boards.

The 171s were so good, I had to get another pair while the prices are so silly. There were some 163s on ebay (new w/ carve plate) for $400, but I didn't think there would enough difference from the 171s. So I bought a pair of 155s from Sierra. I took them out on Sat for a real test, rock hard boiler plate. They railed, once I began to believe in them. They also were very snappy, which surprised me a couple of times. It took a little while to get used to the initiation, which feels very different. There is almost a lag, until you incline a few more degrees than usual, then they hook up, and rail. I hadn't noticed that lag with the 171s on better snow. In fact, although my times through a Nastar course didn't improve on the 171s, the transitions were so easy. I have never felt like I had so much time between gates before.

In softer snow today, the 151s were pumping turns like there was no tomorrow. Slicing through the chop, like it wasn't there, and springing off any rise to transition in the air. Just a blast. I can't wait to get them on some hero packed powder next season. The 171s ate it up as well. Totally solid.

BobD

Just took delivery of the 155s for my wife. Indeed, they have the Kessler logo right on them - cool!! The skis look great. Deep cut, metal top and botom, decambered noses, and they definitely look handmade. If she doesn't like them I will take them! Thanks for the tip BobD!

I need your advice, i am considering buying these Palmer skis. the skis at Sierra don't come with bindings or the race plate. what would you recommend? I am new to skiing and want be as close to snow as possible like the guy in this video link. currently i can get both hands on the snow but booting out when i try to get my body close. any suggestions? thanks!

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BxYBnLJEOc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

I need your advice, i am considering buying these Palmer skis. the skis at Sierra don't come with bindings or the race plate. what would you recommend? I am new to skiing and want be as close to snow as possible like the guy in this video link. currently i can get both hands on the snow but booting out when i try to get my body close. any suggestions? thanks!

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BxYBnLJEOc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

sent you a pm

The guy in the video doesn't incline his inside leg extremely, to avoid booting out. The Palmers with the 13mm carve plate and another 31mm from some of the Tyrolia bindings, gets a pretty good stand height. The next place to look is the boot. Many boots have a lousy boot out profile, when you look at the boot from the front. Nordicas are particularly bad. Salomons, not as bad. the best off the shelf boot were the Dolomites carve boots, with 15mm extra lift built in.

post-340-141842311405_thumb.jpg

thanks for the info. i have Dolomite boots now, i will have to go home and see what model i have. I am interested in the pair of skis at Sierra which are 155cm @ 10.5R. i tried a pair of Stockli SC 163cm @ 13.5R and was not very impressed. Currently i am using Salomon scream series xr spaceframes, 160cm @ 114/80/108 17.3R. i like them, just turns too big.

If you want 155s with the lifter plate, they're here:

http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/Palmer-P02-Freecarve-with-CP13-Lifter-Plate-Skis.asp

Sierra doesn't have any other size left, but there was a pair of 163 on ebay recently.

I'm not much of a skier, only did two days this year, so I can't give much technique advice. I don't even know if I'm doing it right, but whenever I ski I basically try to do the same things that I do on my alpine snowboard and it seems to work ok.

Yeah Bola, the skis say "made in Austria" on them, so they're obviously not built by Kessler. They seem well made though. Does Palmer have its own factory? Or are they made by a big OEM like Elan or Pale?

Buy a good sandwich ski and have a look for a good plate system like hangl ( http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/4015/20100105a00askibindunge.jpg ) or circle/loipfuehrer ( http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8346/kompletteplatteinclbind.jpg ). Both can you find sometimes on ebay for less money.

edit:

kessler/palmer ski made in austria:

design: kessler

ski:head factory