Note to New Members ×

Raichle Flexon Comp: what mods?

mikel45

I wouldn't recommend it....and it really depends on your total set-up.

But, generally speaking "back in the day", the mods were:

- routing the cant mec to an oval shape to allow slight lateral movement

- increase forward lean shin in rear foot

- shave off slight material on side "tongues" (it's an open throat design boot)

None of those make a huge difference.

Hello all, new to the sport, contemplating using my Raichle Flexon Comp boots, interested in learning what modifications to the boot should be considered – any suggestions? As always, then ... CHEERS!

Starting out on ski boots? You can do it, but you will be putting yourself at a pretty huge disadvantage.

I wouldn't recommend it....and it really depends on your total set-up.

But, generally speaking "back in the day", the mods were:

- routing the cant mec to an oval shape to allow slight lateral movement

- increase forward lean shin in rear foot

- shave off slight material on side "tongues" (it's an open throat design boot)

None of those make a huge difference.

We also used to cut a V into the calf of the boot and add a better (wider) power strap. If you do this cut, be sure to round off all the edges.

you can ride in these fine, especially if you have softer tongues - but as stated above if your goal is freecarving you'll want to transition to snowboard specific boots when you have a chance.

Someone had recommended the FTs/Flexons not long ago when I was doing some research, here's what he said:

2colkxh.jpg

Can't go wrong with full tilts/flexons. There is a HUGE range of adjustment in the tounges....probably from around a 60 flex index to around 120 or so. There's also the option of running different flexes on each boot, swaping around, etc.

Other bonuses:

- Light, very light.

- Good lateral and aft stiffness. But you could take a rear cuff peice and soften it if needed (and swap it in and out)

- Very modular parts

- Wide canting range.

- Most importantly, the tounges provide a VERY linear progression of the boot stiffness. It's like flexing against a spring. Some overlap boots can be soft for a while then get stiff quickly, which can't be good for edge control. The guy in the pics above looks like he's running the stiffest black tounge, which still flexes nice. But you could freeride on a softer tounge.

- Flexons on ebay for cheap (for spare parts)

Oh on the liners - a tounge type liner will usually be stiffer than an intuition/thermoflex.

I bought some FT boots this year off ebay for 108.00. With a little heel lift the boots fit really great, they have the intuition liner. I was thinking why not pair them up with Fins new "sidewinders" to provide lateral flex. I,ve got the jibbers super soft tongue and flex seems close to my AF 600 boots with blue spring BTS.

I'd try the Flexons for sure. Bob

One positive is the sole doesn't flex like the snowboard boots do so you get a nice stiffness; however it is also quite long as well which is a negative when I switched the sole length definitely reduced quite a bit for the same 27.5 size boot. On any board narrower than about 200mm, this starts to have an impact.

I am a little surprised, as I am quite sure switching from riachle flexon comps to the raichle indys was a drop in weight; the flexons I used to use were mighty heavy compared to the new snowboard boots.

To all (Alpine Ace, Trench Digger, Lord of the Ruts, Groomer Grommet, Carver Extraordinaire) ..... mucho gracias ..... though to be honest, me missin havin' the heart to actually dremel my Raichle's.

Decided mods for now:

1) looking into replacement tongues for added flex option(s), presently have the rather still "racing flex";

2cqe6tc.jpg

2) the comps came with three different options for liners: a standard liner, a Thermofit liner, or a Thermoflex liner. Contemplating adding footbed and upgrading to heat moldable liner from the existing Thermofit liner. Though I do like the attached velco power strap;

3) Concerned about the boot/binding interface. Any suggestions for replacement toe and heel pieces? Interestingly enough, some have experimented with attaching "vibram" hiking soles.

• 4 weeks later...
if your goal is freecarving you'll want to transition to snowboard specific boots when you have a chance.

Flexon mod suggestions greatly appreciated. Decided to take advice, went ahead and purchased hardboots. Surprisely inexpensive when purchased used.