Spirit Mountain 2010

jolson

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Russ, did you provide the newest convernt with the NEW CARVERS handbook that explains the affliction about to befall him and the bank account impacts that all the afflicted ultimately have?.......never mind, won't matter once he makes that first pencil line.......:biggthump

As temps go last weekend, nice weekend but brutal on the snow......Sat started out ok and moved to mash potatoes earlier than expected and Sunday was shocking as I was first tracks and the snow never set up from the night before...........mashed potato's from first run on.

Hope Spirit makes it till end of month.......

Spring fling bash on this coming Saturday.....tempted to do the pond skip unless the snow is so bad that the speed would equate to simply falling in. (No Russ, I am not going to enter the barrel jumping......I already know how to hurt myself) A few friends are putting together an entry for the furniture run compitition....

Spirit Mt. still says base is holding up through three days of rain and 40 degree temps.....

Will be out on Saturday morning just to say I got in one last set of runs as I believe this weekend may very well be it....but Spirit Mt. actually did have quite the base, so you never know....

Saturday afternoon events are planned like barrel jumping, water skipping and creative sledding competitions....should be good for some laughs.

Will be out breifly Sunday Morning on a volunteer shift.

Next week has 45 degrees all week forcasted. :(

Looking forward to a BOL buy/sell effort on some used boards this coming year....that should keep me going till the snow flies again next year......

Will probably post one more time, but thanks to the visiting hardbooters this year, would like to try and set up coordinated day for next year to see how many we can convince to come to Spirit, if even for the day.....(I could use the continued skill set instruction)....

Also, if the group from the Twin Cities areas does another mini-SES, make sure to post to us next year on the Spirit site in advance of the event......the few of us up here did not trip to the event till it was over...

Russ and Ryan, see you locals back on the hills next year and hopefully in-between.

Crossed this off the bucket list.:biggthump......representing alpine boarders (and Prior, unofficially) everywhere....succeeded in making it upright and farthest across the water in the competition this weekend.....six more feet and boots would have been dry.......

Also, Spirit claims they will move snow if they have to in order to keep some runs open till the 28th....they are determined to make it.

Snow was as expected, scary from ice, to perfect to hollow (no support) all within twenty feet sometimes.......

Pretty much time for the soft boots to finish the year out if you have em....I carved into a hollow spot and for the first (and hopefully the last) time I augered in so hard that both bindings and leash released.........

post-6797-141842309115_thumb.jpg

post-6797-141842309118_thumb.jpg

Also, Spirit claims they will move snow if they have to in order to keep some runs open till the 28th....they are determined to make it.

I hope they do. We are, if the 10 day is right, going to get back to sub zero nights again this weekend. Might be making a trip up next week.

BobD

Crossed this off the bucket list.:biggthump......representing alpine boarders (and Prior, unofficially) everywhere....succeeded in making it upright and farthest across the water in the competition this weekend.....six more feet and boots would have been dry.......

What's next - the halfpipe? some rails? Showtime perhaps?

ummmm......you already have seen me in action Russ and I am sure you found my survival without injury here amazing.......

one bucket list item per sport......mine is done, you're up and I think anything short of seeing you riding the rail in the terrain park is just not even an attempt on your part........

Will watch for it and buy the get well card now......

Dave;

I was out from 4-8pm yesterday for a patrol shift - temp on the DBU display read 60 degrees as I drove by....

Soft, mushy, dirty snow; lots of bare spots, quite a few wet areas. It's 57 degrees again today, forecast to be 29 tonight, 39 tomorrow, then down to 22 tomorrow night, 41 on Saturday.

I'll be out Sat and Sun afternoons patrolling (on a freeride board). I'd be concerned that Sat a.m. will be rock hard (at least for a while) if it get's that cold Friday night.

Russ

Have tentative plans on coming up on Sunday, Saturday is booked elsewhere for me. Agree with Russ, mornings will be hard plate out there as temps may hit 20 degrees tonight after a week of 55 degree weather.

Russ, is the free ride board you are going to be on this weekend the one you mentioned to me the other day or do you have another in the corner of your basement?.......if its different than the one in the basement, thought I would attach my K-2 clickers and soft boots to the one you mentioned and do a (brief) return to softbooting on Sunday unless it is the one you will be on.....

Either way, I also plan to be up next Sunday (March 28th) for the day to finish out the season if there is snow and stay for the Emp/volunteer party........then clean out the locker....:(

Great day at Spirit. Got to meet Jim, Dave, and Russ. Will post some vids later, but here's Jim's excursion into the woods. The tree stump he took out was rotten, fortunately :biggthump. Double eject from the board, which stopped where you see it. Once I saw he was up and moving, I grabbed the camera...

BobD

post-340-141842309822_thumb.jpg

here's Jim's excursion into the woods. The tree stump he took out was rotten, fortunately :biggthump. Double eject from the board, which stopped where you see it.

I'm sure that Chris Prior will be relieved to see that Jim didn't take the WCRM (too far) into the woods...:lol:

I'm sure that Chris Prior will be relieved to see that Jim didn't take the WCRM (too far) into the woods...:lol:

..........ummm..............not half as much as I WAS RELIEVED not to take it too far into the woods.............second week I was d******* lucky for the full release..........somone must be trying to tell me something.

Had a great day (other than the rail into the woods) riding with Bob D and Big Wave Dave. Early in the day was best carving in three weeks, do not know why, but groom and conditions were great in the morning.

Appreciated the company and assistance crawling out of the woods.

If anybody has not seen Bob D on the Kessler/Palmer ski's, somebody get some video............awesome carving and while tail gunning him I was hard pressed to match some of his arcs.....very cool.

Russ, thanks again for the freeboard use.....will try that next week with altered stance and get it back to you.

Look forward to hooking up with everyone next year. Will still see what next weekend looks like. Spirit claims they will be open...

Great fun riding with all you guys yesterday. Forgot how much fun a good day on corn snow can be. Jim taught us the limitations of metal boards, they don't cut through everything. Bob, great to meet you, can't wait to see the clips. Russ, as always had fun syncro-carving with you.

Just want to add that yesterday was the first day I rode my Prior ATV with a carving stance (rather than set back for pow) and it exceeded my expectations really carving smoothly, at speed, through that inconsistant slushy stuff, where my FC1 did not like it at all (too stiff). Thumbs-up for ATV living up to its name.

I seemed fine right after trip into woods and the rest of the day on Sunday......by Monday morning though my left knee was not good and went had MRI done.....slight tear/abrasions to Tib collateral Ligament and medial meniscus.....:(

Yep, season is over for real now......

already looking past this and forward to next year.....

sorry to hear about the knee. I would recommend doing plyometric exercises over the summer. Plyometrics strengthen the joints and ligaments and help to decrease the risk of injury. If you can get over looking a little silly doing them in the gym, they are a great way to prep for the season.

Sorry to hear that Jim. Doesn't sound like anything that will be a lasting problem (fingers crossed). Do have a leg strengthening summer sport ?

Bob

Ortho and surgeon who did my other knee want to try rehab first and think it may be fine without surgery.....

I inline skate in summer and I will be back to a regular regime on the eliptical. The PT said he will work up a quad strength regime to continue maintain / build support for the knee(s).

sorry to hear about the knee. I would recommend doing plyometric exercises over the summer. Plyometrics strengthen the joints and ligaments and help to decrease the risk of injury. If you can get over looking a little silly doing them in the gym, they are a great way to prep for the season.

Thanks Scott,

I assume by web searching polymetric's I can get the skinny......not familiar with that discipline.....