Note to New Members ×

Carve

Gecko

Originally posted by patmoore

While we're on the subject of hands...

My take on the hands thing is that it isn't such a big deal - it doesn't affect balance as much as you might think. The important thing for balance is the angle of your spine/upper body.

As a drill, I like to ride easy slopes with my hands behind my back, and try and make each turn deeper than the last. It takes away reliance on the hands, and makes you realise the importance of keeping your spine/upper body upright. Look at the pic that Jack posted - his spine is vertical, but his legs are almost parallel with the snow.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally posted by D-Sub

but do we have to comment each and every time?

that woman looks like she is totally in control, and making a technically sound turn

its not like she's flapping her arms around all over

oh, and btw...who says its in japan? she's certainly not japanese

Originally posted by Baka Dasai

I also like the second shot. Damn, gotta wait almost 2 months for snow here.

Really? How can you tell?

BTW the rider is the same in the first two photos and his name is Hiroki Tozaki...so much for the "she's not japanese"

Thanks to all who have shared their expertise.

Jack, that's a great shot of you. I've always tended to angulate on both skis and board. The shot below was taken the same day at Telluride. Arms are almost identical.

eodjb

The angulation is less pronounced in this shot at the finish of a GS course. At least the hands aren't flailing!

eodjr

Ah, good old carve magazine (free alpen style). Published by marine planning co, ltd. once a year... started out... oh.. maybe 5 or 6 years ago? Good to see they haven't gone under. (the editer was complaining abut the lack of funds, decline of alpine population etc) If you walk in to most big book stores you can have them order if for you. Albiet it takes 1 month to do so. I have some mags from past seasons.. and I just happen to have a 2003 magazine right beside me :X (left the rest at my parents house) the magazine has a couple articles from top demonstrators.. some tips, reviews and stuff on upcoming new models... some reports from different areas. All in all a great magazine.

Now, I guess we shouldn't be doing this, but if someone wants to scan those pages I can take a shot at translating the words. Also, if theres someone with a scanner and free time I can lend my older mag's out. Also, if there are people who are interested I have a JSBA Snowboarding Instructional Video I plucked off the net. When I was back with #anime-kraze, I was going to sub that thing but alas, lack of time, motivation and just plain time meant it just sat and rotted away on my hd.

Also, a comment on that person's riding on the first riding, imo looks like she's about to lay out... it's that or its the good old "demonstrator" way of boarding... from what I rembmer when I was in Japan, that was more main-stream then the racing scene. (over extended arms, over exagerated rotation, alot of up and down movement... all in the name of demonstrating proper style better)

Anywho, that's all I have to say for now... good to finally get this post off my chest. I've been meaning to post about carve magazine for 4 seasons now :X just me being lazy and all (altho I think i did before I left Japan) -moop