• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally posted by D-Sub

hans

we all know what "you guys" think is "right" for carving

my point is, why do you feel it necessary to criticisize? It's not always necessary.

Hi, D-sub

I didn't say that the style is wrong or right, I only said that I don't like this style shown at the picture. It looks just like some one is flying like an Albatros. You can see this style in many wmv.files of Japanese carvingsites. It looks very dynamic, but I don't like it. It's a very restless style, often used with body counterrotation. And you know that using bodycounterrotation is very hard to correct. Just asking ones opinion about this style, advantages - disadvantages. A forum is meant to open a discussion about a topic which intrests you or me. Meaning that you are sometimes critical about something or someone. It doesn't hurt. If there was no discussion I would be bored.

He, D-Sub ;) What are you meaning by "you guys", am I belonging to another sort of group or species, that's interesting, may be you can tell me more about this, may be in another topic.

Greets, Hans.

hans

you are missing my point entirely

my point is this:

why did you feel the need to even comment on the style? Gecko posted a couple pictures of someone riding and having fun, and your first comment was "I dont like the style"

why? why bother? no one asked if you or anyone else liked the style. I just cant understand the need to immediately criticize instead of just view. If someone said "what do you think of this style..?" then that would be different.

yes, its just me. I know.

in any case..."you guys" = EC proponents. I am in high admiration of that whole thing but there are other styles, other people who simply go out and have a blast doing it.

Originally posted by D-Sub

hans

you are missing my point entirely

my point is this:

why did you feel the need to even comment on the style? Gecko posted a couple pictures of someone riding and having fun, and your first comment was "I dont like the style"

My first reaction was that I liked the actionphoto, the action that was into, the freezing shot of the action. If you see a picture you like some things about it, other things you don't like. That's all what I was thinking and writing down. Because the second picture was without a comment, so I reacted on the picture just what was coming up when I saw it. No less, no more. But may be it's you who don't like people's first reactions when they saw and say things about .... What do you think of the style she is carving?

Trying to put in a discussion here, if you are interested. I am trying to use the push and pull but when I try to race I like the USbomber style a lot.

Greets, Hans.

hans, I think thats my point exactly tho...I dont have an opinion in this case. its just a picture or two, and like I said she looks like she's in control, including her arms even though they are elevated

I think the one you posted looks awesome, especially the way Fivat tucks his hand against his thigh! The person in this pic could probably do so but...I dont see it as that big of a deal

Ive seen the vids of some japanese riders, and yeah, they look like they flap their arms a lot which seems like it is a waste of motion and energy. I try to adhere to the concept of "economy of motion" in everything I do, whenever possible

It was just...in this situation...understand...I didnt see the need for critical comments. Im not trying to start a fight and neither are you, I know.

yes, the EC style is beautiful to watch, but to me the "bomber" style is more functional, so...I guess Id have a preference after all

Hi, D-sub

I had also a preference to the racing kind of style. Untill I saw the extremecarving site. The SWOARD wasn't even born yet, not even in production yet. I was just psyched and interested in the way of the physics of this style. Because I never used a recognicable style. I was always mixing things. I was always 'searching' for a physical style which feels fine and easy to use. Not a good of right style. When I learned myself the push and pull and bodyrotationstyle, it felt very comfortable after a few rides. I do some counterrotation with flapping arms now and then when I am tired at the end of the day, but I feel that this style cost me a lot of energy/strength to correct and is also very ineffective. When I think about the bodyrotationstyle everything seems to easen up. http://www.extremecarving.com/tech/tech.html

You can even use this style in heavy conditions to keep everything under control.

Greets, Hans.

Hi guys. I have been reading your comments on the carving style of the pics posted above. I think she looks great! As I'm relatively new to carving, I haven't really developed a "good style" yet. I hope to meet some of you carvers at SES05 this year and maybe you can show me first hand your preferred style. Thanks for converstation.:)

Guest boogieman

i have also learnd it like that with the arms like an eagle but i keep em closer to me

the explanation of my instructor was that if you bend your upper body downhilside your center off mass does change, its not about the arms its your whole upper boddy including arms and shoulders

like if you stand up straight and you try to tuch the ground with one arm without bending forwards or backwards (then your center of gravity does change and it helpes)

he showed it to me with the arms streched to make it easy to see

Guest Randy S.

In the words of this man:

kingsmall.jpg

"Why can't we all just get along?"

Seriously though. Its fine to discuss and debate different styles, but why attack someone just because you don't like their style, or the way they express themselves.

I'd tend to say that you'll have an easier time controlling your edge and your carve if your shoulders are level to the snow (across the fall line), but what you do with your arms? Seems like personal style more than any definitive answer. I try to keep my hands in front of me so they don't get hooked on gates, but if the gates weren't there, would it matter? Dunno.

Yours truly,

Rodney King Salzman

Originally posted by stoked

okay please post some contact info for that magazine!!

thanks

I'm sure there is some however I can't read it...there are at least two others on here that also live here in Japan...with luck one of them can read Japanese

I agree with Randy.

We are all doing this to have fun! Let's get along.

Everyone's style is somewhat unique.

... and so far we all got lucky to be able to choose from many different equipment options

out there, so it will (hopefully) fit or help to develop your personal style... my opinion.

Originally posted by Ray

Everyone's style is somewhat unique.

Yup.

My style is a blend of styles, resulting in what has been described as a rather fluid dynamic. I combine the style found here with the USbomber style (Hands in front, facing tip of board). I use the EC technique of rotation for turn initiation, and the US style for control and balance to drive through the turn.

The best part about my style is adaptability; cross-over/under/through turns are not a problem, and adapting to changing conditions is a snap.

A friend of mine looks like a drunken-albatross when he rides, but it works for him, and he has just as much fun as I do.

Guest boogieman

thats what its all about having fun

but on the other hand having everyone turn their head when you fly by is a pretty good feeling to and its a part of my having fun

i pay a lot of attention to style and making it look good in everything i do but thats just me,

Originally posted by Gecko

Can't wait for the season to begin...

On a side note there are no adds for nor is there a review of any R17's. I guess Burton has finally backed out of Alpine completely

According to KlugRiding.com there is an '05 R17..... I guess there is also a line of bindings too.

however I walked through Ochanamizu/Jimbo-cho about a week ago and none of the alpine shops had R-17's. Also the R-17 website has't been updated since last year. As for what the store did have??The new F2's in force and every local board...this years Grey's are foul colored, Moss are subtle and elegant (IMHO) and Yonex boards look awesome, very FC... pictures don't do them justice.

They (or importer) dont sell anything directly, but my trusted snowboard shop informed that they could get them if i want.

I did not asked more details or sizes even i was suprised but it looks that they have made certain ammount those for sale too.

But they told that they are new ones done for this season and i believe them :D

While we're on the subject of hands and criticism, I'm open to constructive criticism. I seem to always have my arms outstretched like airplane wings. I know it's not proper but I'm not sure what the ideal position is. See photo below and the little shot in my avatar. My background is gymnastics and I have a healthy respect for balance. My arms are always out when I'm doing distance rides on one of my uni's (see other photo). It's just second nature to me but I'd like to learn the proper style.

elcuc

eld1k

Pat

"When you're over the hill, you pick up speed..."

Untill two years ago I flied like an Albatros at my snowboards. Then I did some practicing on easy slopes to keep my hands and arms fully at my back. It helped me a lot to control my board and my balance better. Another practice is to keep a pole in front of you and keep it balanced at the horizon. On steeper or bumpier slopes I try to go slow at first and keep my hands and arms at my back also. When I go faster I practice to keep my arms and hands just near the side of my upperbody. I just got these tips from a snowboardinstructor of www.blue-tomato.at. at Haus im Ennstal and Schladming.

May be this helps.

Greets, Hans.

Pat, I would say you should do whatever you <i>need</i> to do to maintain balance. However, you may find that you don't need to have your arms out like that. For example, It is common that many newb's think that they need to bend over at the waist and reach for the snow to maintain balance. Then they learn otherwise.

Beyond a certain point, if you are having fun and are happy with your abilities, then there's no point in fixing what isn't broken. But if you suspect you could be riding with a cleaner style, then it's time to examine yourself. I think The Norm is a good practice tool to get back to basics and realize/remember what is really necessary for carving.

I like this picture because it's a pretty deep carve, but my upper body is pretty relaxed. In your picture, your downhill hand is really high. Believe it or not, this can throw off your balance. Even the EC guys don't do this. I prefer a "pencil pinching" technique for the east coast ice, where you try to keep your shoulders more level with the slope of the hill - it feels like you could hold a pencil in the crease that forms at your hip.

-Jack