Note to New Members ×

Mammoth to open this Thursday

Ray

Guest Randy S.

Dang. Mammoth is a long drive from here, but its tempting! Boreal will probably open soon, but I hate that place. Squaw and Alpine probably won't open until the 3rd week of November, regardless of how much snow we get. Let''s just hope it stays cold so the snow sticks around. We actually had thunder outside my office today. It is pretty rare that we get thunder and lightning in the Bay Area. I love it. However I can't get any work done because all I'm thinking about is snow. Its always like this at the beginning of the season.

Originally posted by D-Sub

thats odd. site says 18" total this month and still opening nov11.

if its true thats insane! I wonder what the earliest opener ever was.

I was at bear mtn once on Nov1. thought that was pretty fckin early

Of Mammoth Mountain website:

New Snow (Main Lodge):

Storm Total: 28"

It's not 100% yet... like I said, the talk in town is...

Well, we will see. Maybe we get lucky... hmm, what board am I taking... ;)

Originally posted by Ray

Of Mammoth Mountain website:

New Snow (Main Lodge):

Storm Total: 28"

It's not 100% yet... like I said, the talk in town is...

Well, we will see. Maybe we get lucky... hmm, what board am I taking... ;)

28" isnt 5-6 feet tho!

anyway...that would be pretty impressive

anyone know what the earliest opener ever was there?

I've been watching the mammoth forums all day, and now its official: thursday opening, chairs 1 and 11. The weekend will add 2 and 6, possibly the gondola if maintenance is completed. The apparently have a pretty good base (2ft+ wet heavy sierra cement), so the rockboard wont get too damanged :p .

D-Sub: This isnt the earliest by far, 94-95 was the most insane. They opened Oct 8th. But the craziest thing is that the season that year didn't end until August 13th!!!!! That's maximizing a season pass, 11 months!!! :D

Originally posted by nekdut

I've been watching the mammoth forums all day, and now its official: thursday opening, chairs 1 and 11. The weekend will add 2 and 6, possibly the gondola if maintenance is completed. The apparently have a pretty good base (2ft+ wet heavy sierra cement), so the rockboard wont get too damanged :p .

D-Sub: This isnt the earliest by far, 94-95 was the most insane. They opened Oct 8th. But the craziest thing is that the season that year didn't end until August 13th!!!!! That's maximizing a season pass, 11 months!!! :D

I remember that year we did a weekend in early June...I spent the weekend in shorts and Tshirt...I got a bad sunburn...wouldn't have traded it for the world :D

Originally posted by Gecko

I remember that year we did a weekend in early June...I spent the weekend in shorts and Tshirt...I got a bad sunburn...wouldn't have traded it for the world :D

I wonder if that was the year I was there on 4th of july. I think it was!

no...couldnt have been...I drove my moms explorer and she bought that in...wait...yeah...I think that was it?

heh. I dont remember!

Nekdut, it appears that you might be heading up this weekend, is this true? Ya gotta love the value pass, wishin' I would've bought one. I will wait for a one or two mores storms before I head up unless if someone really twists my arm behind my back.

HEHEHE!!

Storms Allow Mammoth to Open Thursday

Mammoth Mountain, CA (Tuesday, October 19, 2004) - Huge snowstorms rolling into California's Sierra Nevada mountains have dumped over three feet of snow on Mammoth Mountain, allowing the resort to open this Thursday, October 21. This marks the resort's earliest opening in 10 years and the best opening in recent history, a full three weeks prior to the scheduled opening of November 11.

"The forecast looks fairly impressive, with many peices of energy pounding into the Sierra tonight and tomorrow," says First Tracks!! Online forecaster Scott Braaten. "Snow levels will fall to 5,000 feet in the northern Sierra and to 6,000 feet in the southern Sierra. There's a bullseye of 24 to 36 inches, with possibly even 40+ inches, on the Sierra crest near Mammoth."

Braaten analyzed the computer weather models this evening. "The GFS model has two to three inches of liquid equivilent falling down there and the ETA has up to four inches of liquid near Mammoth. The higher elevation of the Mammoth Lakes/Mammoth Mountain Resort (8,000 to 11,000 feet) will aid in colder temps and more snowfall as well."

Strong winds accompanying the storm will ensure that Mammoth's lifts remain idle until Thursday. "Winds will be a big factor as well with hurricane force winds on the ridges," Braaten explains. "There could be some huge drifts and cornices after this one."

Wind and weather permitting, two chairlifts will open Thursday at Mammoth, allowing access to five trails. "Due to the storms, we haven't seen the upper mountain in three days. Once the storm clears we'll evaluate how much more we can open," said Gary Reitman, General Manager of Outside Operations for Mammoth Mountain. The resort plans to open four lifts and additional terrain for what is expected to be a busy weekend. Resort spokesperson Joani Lynch explained this evening that while snowmakers did go onto the hill last night, Thursday's opening will be entirely on natural snow.

Mammoth is offering lift and lodging packages with rates as low as $70 per person per night based on double occupancy. Hours of operation are 8:30am-4:00pm daily. Value season lift ticket prices are in effect at $50 for adults, $37 for youth and $25 for children and seniors. Lynch cautions that "early season obstacles exist."

The storm continues to wreak havoc upon the region, in which 200 Sierra residents have already been evacuated as a precaution against potential mudslides. Winds are already howling at 60 mph, and Lake Tahoe and most of the mountain regions south and west of Carson City and north and west of Reno remain under a winter storm warning through Wednesday morning.

Chains or snow tires were required on all the Sierra passes. Chains remained mandatory on U.S. Interstate 80 from the Donner Lake interchange west of Truckee for about 13 miles west to the Kingvale exit.

Chairs on Mammoth's Broadway Express swing idly through today's storm, as the resort prepares to open for the season on Thursday.

(photo: Mammoth Mountain)http://www.firsttracksonline.com/news/images/mammoth041019.jpg

Originally posted by D-Sub

28" isnt 5-6 feet tho!

anyway...that would be pretty impressive

anyone know what the earliest opener ever was there?

D-Sub, ups, you are correct, "28" isnt 5-6 feet tho!"

Let me explain what I did (You know how it goes when news/rumors break)... I posted a quote from a friend of mine from Mammoth, who just talked to ski patrol and they told him that they just got of the mountain and that the mountain received up to 5-6 feet of snow in some areas... and now the talk is to open Thursday...

My feeling is the website is not updated in real time and also does not post any of these inside information :confused:

Anyway guys, this is fantastic start for the season and hope to see you all this weekend ;)

and yes, it's official now:D

http://www.mammothmountain.com/index.cfm?season=winter

They probably report base depth at the lodge or something to that effect. I'm sure there is 5 - 6 feet at higher elevations.

Unlike Timberline's web site which has, all summer/fall long, reported 250 inch base depth on Palmer.

At the beginning of summer, 250 inches was probably correct. (Shameless plug for MHES here, which occurs at a time when there is *always* at least 15' of snow on Palmer). However, overall there was porbbaly not 250 millimeters of snow in most places when I went up last Friday...

From the official website:

Greetings Skiers and Snowboarders!

An early season storm has kept the snow coming, with 12-16 more inches at the Main Lodge overnight.

Mammoth Mountain will open this Thursday, October 21 on a base depth of 3-4 feet. This marks our earliest opening in 10 years, a full three weeks prior to the scheduled opening of November 11.

Wind and weather permitting, Broadway Express and Discovery Chair will open Thursday allowing access to 5 trails. More lifts and terrain are expected for the weekend.

----------------------------

Thats way more base than SoCal mtns get mid season! :D

Guest Randy S.
Originally posted by oldvolvosrule

Isn't Randy the one who just returned from Chile??? Your punishment for gettin the jump on the season before everyone else is??? NO RIDING TILL DECEMBER FOR YOU!!

Who else agrees with me???

lol.gif

nekdut

OVR: hahah true, he did torture us with those pictures recently. We'll show him, lets go carve our own trenches starting thursday

twofinger.gif

I don't think I can get there this weekend. I have my kids with me for the weekend and we have soccer games on Saturday. Sorry I'll miss it. I'll have to do my penance until December as suggested. :D

yup, probably TEN feet at the top by now.

this is crazy. why didnt I just fcking buy a discount pass for mammoth and move up there this summer.

if this oregon thing works out I sure hope bachelor gets a good season with both plenty of snow and some clear calm days thrown in

have fun in mammoth guys!

It is confirmed. I am going this weekend, carving on Sat and sunday. It'll probably be an AM board weekend for me (burton coil), but if the base is really as good as they say, the Donek FC179 may come out to play.

Who's joining me? Ray? OVR? D-sub? Randy??:p Let me know!! :D

Originally posted by nekdut

It is confirmed. I am going this weekend, carving on Sat and sunday. It'll probably be an AM board weekend for me (burton coil), but if the base is really as good as they say, the Donek FC179 may come out to play.

Who's joining me? Ray? OVR? D-sub? Randy??:p Let me know!! :D

Will be there for sure!

Not sure what board yet as well, all depends... most important for me is to be in the snow this early in the season.

Ray