Note to New Members ×

sad to see. what happens when you're bought out.

bobdea

so the other day I got a new old stock avalanche built around 2004 I think

rode it for a couple runs today

man, talk about low quality build. just fugly looking. the board does actually ride ALRIGHT for a board that orginally cost 300 retail.

it's just a crying shame though to see the last life of a legendary snowboard company cranking out low end beater boards prior to going out. I'd of much rather of seen them go out while still being decent.

at least now I have something to take in the trees and park

I hear you loud and clear. I think the company had already been sold at that point.

They were my favorite non alpine company because the boards were so stiff and responsive. I still ride my beat to death Sanders Design once in a while just because it's so fun (164 w/144 edge and 24 waist).

Could be worse.... consider Aggression.

I had a Tarquin 165 in 1992 or so, it was a great board.

They got bought out by Volant.

In 1997 or 1998 (plus or minus...) I broke 3 in one season. Total of 8 days IIRC.

They kept expressing shock, saying they'd never heard of a broken board before. Three times.

They gave me warranty replacements, but I gave away the last one.

Far as I know, the brand no longer exists.

I also have an old Sanders design 164 that I just mounted my new to me cateks on last night. I am going to try hardboot riding with this board to get used to the feel of it.

It was sad to see this company go. I learned to ride on a Damian Sanders board when I was 13. The grey one with the skull dagger( cool when you were 13).

Bah. If my choices are A) go out of business and retrain myself for a career change but with my street cred intact, or B) accept an offer on the table to sell out and pocket a wad of cash, I'm going with B every time.

However I'd like to think I wouldn't have gotten to that point in the first place, and that I've made my snowboard company into a thriving enterprise.

Which mass market snowboard companies are still making quality products? Would be interested to know for future softboard purchases. Newest board I have is an Arbor A-frame that is built in Canada. I think the new ones are from Austria? Wonder if they are as good of quality now? Think the best one I had was an S-series which I think was US made?

Arbor is a US company, but I think my A-Frame from the 1990's was built in Austria. Great board! I hear some of the later models had some topsheet problems.

As for the overall discussion, I feel the same way about a lot of the BMX companies I grew up with--Mongoose, Redline, etc. It seems like most are making department store quality products now :( Oh well, at least others have risen to take their place.

Which mass market snowboard companies are still making quality products? Would be interested to know for future softboard purchases. Newest board I have is an Arbor A-frame that is built in Canada. I think the new ones are from Austria? Wonder if they are as good of quality now? Think the best one I had was an S-series which I think was US made?

you'd be surprised. some of the boards out of china are really effin' good. rad air, k2 and ride produce in china AFAIK all have pretty high build quality

I still have my 175 Dagger with emory plates, it's dead now, no camber or pop left in it. The thing was like a giant spring when it was new, it would rocket you out of a turn, letting me really mess with my skier friends, making turns that they couldn't even begin to match.

Most of the European produced board production facilities are also ski factories, and most can produce top quality builds. But do they? Depends on what the sub contract is for... Austrian Burtons and Salomons seem great to me(I think in an Atomic factory) and Tunisian Salomons(Nidecker factory) have been goo to me. The Chinese boards from all brands have been hit and miss but for the most part have been ok(depends on the sub contract I guess) I would be inclined to rely on a few generations of craftsmanship(from Europe) vs the North American johnny come lately board builder. That's not to say that the Burtons Made in VT or QC are second rate or that the Options that where made in BC were no good. I believe that Elan makes a lot of boards in Europe and most of em are sold dirt cheap, but not all...