Note to New Members ×

Carving Gloves

Shred Gruumer

What I found was that...

Here's how I reinforced level superpipe gloves. They did not last 3 seasons! :mad:

No commercial gloves will last unless they're reinforced with leather or resin (preferably both). What I've found out was that kevlar material was no help at all!

Now what I am going to try is to reinforce glove protectors (used to protect gloves from rope tow) by using snowboard base material and wear it over the gloves. Glove protectors are cheaper (~$15/pair) and are much more durable than most gloves, so it will not only extend lifespan of the gloves but will be cheaper to replace.

What I believe is that, after all, gloves are consumables.

9aa26532-7638-4fb9-9367-a532e008873f.jpg

I've got a pair of Mountain Hardware gloves that have goat skin fingers and palms. Goats must have tough hides. I think they are for ice climbing. So far they have held up better than any other pair that I've owned. I got them on clearance from sierratradingpost.com Are pretty warm as well. Only thing I don't like about them is that they don't have the wrist tethers.

Plasti-Dip multi-purpose rubber coating.

$12.50 will get you almost a pint of the stuff.

Easy to find, try nearest NAPA auto parts store.

Brush a few layers on the parts of your gloves that get tore up -- fingertips, seams, and so on. Still get a few tears? Sew 'em up and paint over it. You can keep gloves alive for a long time. I'm putting the third season on a pair of Dakine Nova Mitts that have an external aluminum wrist guard; good for the occasional palm slide. Nothing beefy about the rest of the mitt, they would have died the first week if not for Plasti-Dip.

Anyway, Plasti-Dip works great. But you know what also works great? Keeping your hands off the snow. (maybe best not to open that can of worms...)

But you know what also works great? Keeping your hands off the snow. (maybe best not to open that can of worms...)

Ok, I'll open that can of worms! I really admire the way all you guys ride, but maybe my style isn't so bad!!! (Or maybe I'm just jealous that I can't seem to get myself that low.... or maybe it's just the idea of self-preservation! I don't know!)

The only thing that wrecks my gloves is teaching on the rope tow.... tried those glove protectors, but I can't function with them on, they are way to bulky for me!

Ok, I'll open that can of worms! I really admire the way all you guys ride, but maybe my style isn't so bad!!! (Or maybe I'm just jealous that I can't seem to get myself that low.... or maybe it's just the idea of self-preservation! I don't know!)

Go for it, push it lower. Worst that can happen is you slidding off into the bush. You're already against the ground so falling won't hurt much!!! I hate pain:eek:

Got to try the Plasti-Dip. Thanks for the tip.