Note to New Members ×

Hello from a newbie...

ZetaTre

...well, sort of... I've been snowboarding for some 15 yrs now, all of 'em on freestyle boards.

I've grew up in Italy and have always admired carvers: we have way more than over hear... It's like watching Carl Fogarty at the Corkscrew if anyone like Superbike races...

Well, I finally decided I want to move to the dark side... eheheh...

I'm looking a couple of boards on Craigslist (and please, if anyone has a board-bindings-boots for sale, drop me a line) and wanted to get your opinion.

The first on is BlockPro 160cm with Buron bindings and Raichle for $300.

The second one is a Burton Alp 6.9 170cm for $90 (board only).

The third is a Burton Alp board 157cm with Burton bindings and Burton Shadow boots.

I'm still looking, but would like to get an idea of do's and don'ts.

Thanks!!!!

What is your height, weight, and foot size? Can you carve your softboot board such that you can change edges before the board points downhill?

Yes, I can carve with the soft pretty well and that's what I've been focusing on for the past 4-5 seasons.

I'm 5'11" - 130# - 11 foot size

ZetaTre, where do you ride at?? Lots of Southern Cal carvers ride at Snow Summit on Sundays. There are even a few Italians that show up. Lots of pointers and tips if you come up and meet us. Talk some italian with Carving Chef!!

My wife and I normally go to Big Bear or Mountain High on Firday or Saturday night... She can't ride for a full day and I rather not have to deal with crowd...

Hopefully we'll get to go to Mammoth again this year and would love to go there with a carving board...

Make sure you check the SoCal Ride Board section of this website. Most SoCal carvers will post their upcoming trips to Big Bear, Wrightwood, Mammoth and June Mtn on there. Good oppurtunity to meet up with the local crew.

Who knows, get to know us and we might even lend you some gear to try out carving on the correct gear. Swissracer is borrowing a board from me and using some spare boots from Carving Chef.

Yes, I can carve with the soft pretty well and that's what I've been focusing on for the past 4-5 seasons.

I'm 5'11" - 130# - 11 foot size

In that case, of the choices you've listed, I'd vote for the Alp 6.9. It's a decent width for your feet, soft enough for your weight, and long enough for your height and presumed ability. The sidecut radius will also be friendly for learning to carve on hardboots.

Check out our classifieds forum for bindings and boots.

Btw, here's another newbie question: would it make it easier to transition form freestyle board to alpine by first using soft boots? Boots are stiff, not cheap stuff, but still, no hard shell.

I was reading after all it's not all that scandalous to ride an an alpine board with soft boots so I thought I might ask.

Apologize if I just said a big no no... :ices_ange:AR15firin:ices_ange