Note to New Members ×

Riding at Mountain Creek 2010

Erik J

Had a great time riding with you, your wife and friends cafer. You really got me thinking about getting back into hard booting. I think I might demo some boards up at Stratton during the ECES.

It looks like we are getting quite a bit of rain. I might go out tomorrow night (monday 1/25) provided the snow is not all washed away but more than likely I will be out on Thursday from about 3:15 to 5:15. Hope to see other carvers.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been posting the last two weeks but I've been getting out about 3 to 4 days a week. I rode this morning (Monday 2/15) and man were conditions superb for carving. Once again that hard groomed styrafoam, man oh man was it nice. It actually softened up a little during the course of the morning. I haven't seen any hard booters in the last few weeks but I have seen a couple good soft booters. I will be out again a few times this week in the mornings only, I have the whole week off from work. Hope to see other carvers.

I will be riding today as well (Friday 2/19) but from 10:00 to 11:30 in the morning. I can only get out for this time slot today.

Cafercr, I won't be able to make it tomorrow (Saturday 2/20). My wife and I are signed up to take a Korean speaking class in the morning. She just reminded me last night. I can't wait for Sunday. Don't burn out your legs to much tomorrow.

Well if you didn't make it out today at Mountain Creek you probably missed the best off piste riding since 1996. No kidding. I haven't seen this much powder since then. I measured about 26 inches as of 9 am this morning (Friday 2/26) at my house in the valley which would be approximately what the base of MC got. In Highland lakes the measurement was about 30 inches which is what the top of the mountain got. Me, Dave, and my nephew Kevin rode in the morning to about 2:30 pm. Besides for 4 runs there was not a run that we were not in the woods. We were able to get good shots through the trees off Vernon Peak, many of which were totally untracked. I mean nobody knew about them other than us. We got over 200 yards in one stretch of over 2 feet of untracked fresh powder. Man it doesn't get any better than that. I actually set my binding agles at 30, 30 to ride through the trees and the bumps on Devils bit and Pipeline. They were perfectly smooth, knee to waist high, and powdery.

If by chance you didn't get out today (Friday) get out first tracks tomorrow. I definately know for sure there will be untracked fresh powder at South and Bear Peaks. They were not open today but will probably be groomed by tomorrow. Those of you who know where to find the glade runs, go for it. If not, there is one BLATANT opening off Bear that 99.9% of the people don't take advantage of. Here is the hint, if you raced USSA or high school you know where it is. Good luck to all and have a blast.

Got there for first chair....conditions were sweet....just a little to slow.

Met up with Pchang...dude...it was awesome to ride with ya....look forward to meeting up again soon.

Unfortunately - the lines got backed up by 10:30AM and we headed over to the Sussex Queen to fill the bellies.

Sharples - did you make it out to creek today?

Anne and I will be there 8am tomorrow morning until 10am only.

I rode MC Sunday evening from 4 pm to 6:30 pm. I met up with 2 ski school guys and we rode Dvils Bit and Pipeline the whole time. YEEHAA, man was it awesome. The bumps (moguls) were the best I've seen in years. It was so nice to ride soft bumps. I set my binding angles to 30 degrees each and ripped through them easily. I find that it is more difficult to ride bumps with steep angles. I will be at MC a few times this week specifically for the bumps. Don't get me wrong, carving good lines is what I do best but when there are bumps like this, I give up all other types of riding for them.