Note to New Members ×

CODA V-O XL Sidecarve

AaronG

Bullwings, I will be back at Summit for the Jan 3 Session, and I will make sure to bring some demo monoboards as well :biggthump

Gruumer, I got your message. Lets make a board.

Here is the short TR video from Cypress yesterday. Boris was tearing it up!

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27105&page=4

Ummmhh,

You wouldn't happen to have some poles too, would you? :o

I'd really hate to have to rent if i can avoid it, but I will if necessary. Hey Aaron, maybe you have a set of poles I can borrow for the demo monoboard?

I have some poles you could use. I have been carrying them lately as the patrol training requires us to have them so the snowboarders can stand just like the skiers when we are on the side of the slopes. Pain in the a$$ if you ask me.

Say WHAT? That's just wrong. But funny.

Chad, come do a demo day at Alpine Meadows so I can play too. Saw a guy on one of your mono skis here the other day and chatted with him on the chair. Ended up talking about 333skis as well.

I also think it is unfair. While the skiers are resting, we are forced to brace ourselves as best we can with poles. That takes energy and muscle tension in our lower bodies. So we end up using way more energy and not getting the rest the skiers get. Just makes us tougher :cool:. Some time they will allow us to unclip if we are getting a longer lecture, but it can be tricky to clip back in on the steeper slopes. Oh well, it is still fun and interesting. Any day on the slopes is a good day!

Loc, I'm the one in the green jacket. Julian, (arclite) is in the dark blue? jacket.

purple, mind you. :biggthump

What is the max width you can run you bindings on that board? Turnaround time frame when order is placed?

Thanks.

K

I believe 19" is pushing the limits of stance width on the original board, don't know about the XL version.

I couldn't get more then 18" (binding shift included) on the original board. However, I belive that newer boards have the tail split slightly shorter, allowing for more space for the rear inserts. Also, I do not think Chad would have problem setting the inserts a bit wider if you ordered like that.

Since each board is handcrafted, I can get the stance wider. The issue is the tail which is a signature part of the CODA Sidcarve :D

Send me an email with what you are looking for and I can see what we can set up.

The turn around time is no more than 2 weeks.

Incidentally we have just added a bunch of new CODA Graphics

http://www.codaboards.com/graphics_select_all.php

Say WHAT? That's just wrong. But funny.

Chad, come do a demo day at Alpine Meadows so I can play too. Saw a guy on one of your mono skis here the other day and chatted with him on the chair. Ended up talking about 333skis as well.

what ski area you at terry?

I agree with sinecure and I must add that at a few of the california ski resorts I've been to they really hate the idea of snowboarders as patrollers and either just don't allow them like mammoth to making dumb rules just to make it harder for snowboarders.

it's really lame in most cases, fitting though for the local skiers in some areas though. lots salty old telemark types that grew up on the coast and moved to the sierra in there 20s and now feel they have local cred in their 40s they've been skiing for longer than snowboards have been in existence and they wear lots of wool. these types can also be found in the summer months on the John Muir Trail talking about how the AT or any other longer trail in the world is not as extreme as any of their day trips they take are.

at mammoth patrollers do a lot of things the hard way not just in regards to their attitude for snowboarders as patrollers. they do lots of things in the old school manner that I don't think is positive for the patrollers.

I am training at Summit in Big Bear. You know, so cals favorite resort! I don't think that they are trying to make it more difficult for the snowboarders to train, I just don't think they get it. They don't really understand the nuances of out style. Then you add a carver to the mix and they really don't know what to think. My saving grace is that one of the co-directors of our patrol is a hard booter too! Over all the people in my patrol are very good people. Some of them just need to be "educated" a bit more :biggthump. I am working on it.

it was my turn to try a CODA BOARD today and i'm glad i did, very nice board, not to mention the cool factor between shape and graphics, anyway the model i tried is the V-2-10 (the wider version) 170 cm. long 21.5 waist, the demo model only allowed me 18.5" maximum stance (i normally ride 20-20.5) and that felt a little weird at first but as i got used to it i actually forgot about it, with each run it felt better and i pushed it harder, mind you i'm not a very aggressive rider and i'm an intermediate at best but i am 220 lbs and the board handled my weight easy and the edge hold was great and the snow was pretty icy, very quick edge to edge and easy to cross-under (one of my favorite things to do on not so steep runs) the board can turn very tight but you can also let it run and make bigger turns, you can slide out of the carve if you need to or let it carve uphill if you want to, easy to handle and confidence inspiring, a couple of time i thought i was going to loose it (due to my not so perfect technique) but the edge engaged and held me through the turn, at the beginning of a day when i tried to turn too quick or too abruptly the tail bounced a couple of times and then it dug in and it was smooth sailing, that's because the cable in the tail has to engage to hold the edge like it's supposed to, i guess if you start the turn gradually it build tension in the cable (i think it makes the tail stiffer but ask Chad to make sure) and that's what gives you the insane edge hold

personally i would like a wider stance but the board likes to be ridden in the middle (no need to drive the nose so much) and that was a prototype that he made a couple of years ago, don't worry about the stance if you think of getting one Chad can build it to your needs, if you have a chance to try one you should, be ready for a lot of questions on the lift lines and every time you stop

overall a great board from a local board builder, Chad himself makes every single one of them, thanks for coming to snow summit next time i'll probably see you in mammoth

I also got a chance to try out the Coda V-O Sidecarve(3 yr old proto). I'm 125lb 5'7"(lightest of our group to try the Coda).

My boards that I have been on this season are a F2 Silberfiel, a Madd 158(newer one), and a Generics 156. Besides looking cool the Coda just works. The tail had incredible edge hold that made it feel like I was riding on hero snow all the time, It made riding on hard snow easy. I switched to my Generics at about 10:30 and found the snow not too forgiving and I had to work much harder on my turns. The Coda is not as fast edge to edge as the Madd and may have a little less pop but works better on hard snow.

It was fun with 3 or 4 of us on these boards in the lift lines. I may have to be one of the 1st to buy one of these!

Thanks again Chad!

Thanks for the reviews and feedback guys!

CODA would like to wish everyone on Bomberonline a happy new year.

As a way to promote the new Sidecarve line of CODA Boards, the first 10 boards purchased in 2010 will be discounted 15%. Simply create an account on the CODA website, put together your board options, and then use the coupon code: 2010Sidecarve

(I would put this in the vendor section, but until I sell a few boards, I can't afford the vendor status :o )

I am uploading the short video I put together from the footage on Sunday to youtube right now, and I will post the link in the morning.

Love the Mountain, Carve it Deep.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvlVL500PmY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvlVL500PmY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Heading there this weekend and that looks like a great snowboarding run. Do you know the name of it so I can head over there.

Sorry John, we've been washed away :( Mountain is closed right now and there is no snow on forecast. It would be really funny if they reopened for the weekend...

Couple of guys might be heading to Whistler/Balckcomb this Sunday, you are welcome to join in.

Your best bet would be renting a demo from Prior's workshop at Function Junction. It is on the left hand side about 10-12km before the Village. After turning left by Function Junction sign, take 2nd road to the right and drive almost to the end. Prior is on the right hand side.

Whistler is getting snow constantly in the upper mountain. 10-15cm on forecast for Sunday. So, get a bigger and wider board from Prior, like ATV, 4WD, or wide version of WCRM or FLC.

Or, simply put the plates on a big freeride board - you should be able to get that in at any rental shop in the village.

We will probably ride at Blackcomb. If you wanted my cell number, to find us, drop me an offline message.