Note to New Members ×

What boards fill this niche?

newcarver

What boards are out there that are in between slalom and GS in size? Looking for boards with medium dimensions on length, SCR, waist width, flex. Want something good for semi-tight trails where you have a good amount of room but not tons of area to arc big turns, but dont' need something that turns as tight as a SL board. Just looking for ideas. Thanks!

You're basically describing freecarve boards. These are usually 165-180cm in length with sidecuts from 10-14m (if variable, then average). They are also usually softer, a bit less damp (more pop) and a bit less torsionally stiff.

Look at the Madd 170, Donek Freecarve line (the new stuff especially), Coiler VSR, Prior FLCs, Bsquared, Coiler Stubbies.

I'm loving my Coiler Schtubby X2. 171cm, your choice of width, and either 13.2 or 14.2m sidecut. I'm glad I went 14.2, as the board turns a bit tighter than that number would imply.

Donek Freecarve Metal 171 looks interesting too. And of course there's Prior's metal FLC 173.

I'll look into those. Thanks for the input. Right now I'm riding a SG Cult 169. It is basically a real nice all mountain board that will carve. Want to get something a little more carve oriented for weekday groomer riding. I have some SL boards (156 range) that are fun but a little too snappy feeling. Also have a 167 Burner which I want to try out. The 18cm waist is making me nervous though as this is about 1cm narrower than anything I've riden so far. Will see how it goes on that board before making a new purchase. I might end up loving that board :1luvu: