Note to New Members ×

Donek Metal construction assembly video

Donek

I've posted a video of the asembly process for our metal construction on youtube.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agmNjqrRUE8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agmNjqrRUE8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I'll be working on some other videos in the coming weeks.

Love the drill press / milkshake mixer for epoxy blending.

The dress-maker's pins for alignment of the top titanal sheet are a nice simple idea.

They're actually very small nails. Devilishly difficult to manipulate with latex gloves covered in epoxy.

That was really cool, thanks for posting this. It gave me even more appreciation for the work that goes into the design and construction of the new metal boards. And it made me curious about a couple things:

Why two sheets of rubber for race boards and one for freecarve?

What's it like with no sheets of rubber? :)

That was really cool, thanks for posting this. It gave me even more appreciation for the work that goes into the design and construction of the new metal boards. And it made me curious about a couple things:

Why two sheets of rubber for race boards and one for freecarve?

What's it like with no sheets of rubber? :)

Without rubber it's very much like our construction last year. I don't think it rides bad, the testers we worked with liked the boards better with the rubber. It's what most of the other guys are doing. We felt the 1 layer was better for freecarving. You'll also find that there is less decamber in the freecarve boards. With the additional decambering in the race boards and the racers preferences, the second layer of rubber was more desireable to them. More decamber can result in more vibrations in the board, so this is partly why.

I'd thought that the infamous Prior across-binding breakage issue was because their reinforced glass weave under the bindings was "cut straight" across the board like |binding|, rather than having some sort of shape to mitigate that pressure point like (binding) or )binding(.

Interesting video, great stuff!

greg

• 1 month later...

and I want another one Sean..that Twombly I got from you is the best thing to happen to me since I started carving!

My question is with the drastic change in sidecut design(looks-wise at least), I want something that rides just the same only better...is that what the metal shape will do? Can you make a metal Twombly? I noticed that the waist widths are wider, is that because of the insert over-sizing?

I have gotten so used to how grippy the board is, is there really more grip?

Shouldn't be a problem to make something like the Twombly in metal. The waist widths are the current trend, but I have plenty of people ordering narrower. There's no extra charge to do that, so just let me know what you want, and we'll get it done.