Note to New Members ×

New to Carving, questions on set up

emorris

I am new to carving. I got a setup on BOL at the end of last season and never had a chance to try it. I do like carving in softies. I seem to ride very high angle in softies, 27 front and 15 rear. Anything less on the front makes my foot hurt.

I have two Alpine boards, a Burton Amp 5.3 and a Sims Premium 167 and a pair of Catek OS bindings.

Which board would be better to start on? I am about 5'7" and 135 pounds.

I am going to Whistler from 12/20 through the 27th. Will anyone be there or does anyone know an instructor?

Hi, welcome to alpine, you'll love it!

I would start on the Amp, it is smaller and probably softer and tighter turning then Sims, which would make your first day, or few, easier. It is probably wider too? Bring them both to Whistler, it might kick off well for you, then you'll love the bigger board at the big mountain.

I'll be there on the 15th for a course, so won't be able to teach or freeride. However, if you could stop over at Cypress on your way to, or back from Wistler, I'll gladly take you up for lessons. I need to know at least a day in advance. If contacting the Cypress Snow School for the lesson, you have to request Boris, for hard boot lessons.

• 4 weeks later...

Well done, now you have "arrived"!

I do not quite think that BTS would help with quad burn. It helps to flex a bit deeper into the boots without defforming the plastic and to tune the stiffness...

It is normal to have some quad burn, as you are starting to use the muscles differently and still adjusting to new gear/technique. To alleviate the pain, I would play with the lean of the boots and toe/heel lift in the bindings.

Wow,

Just rode the board for the first time, and it is cool. But my quads are burning! I am in Raichle SB423 boots with the original lean adjustors. Would the BTS make it easier on my quads?

Which board did you go with? The longer board will allow you to relax a little more, but either way carving is a much bigger workout than sliding. Being in shape is the best answer. Otherwise, experiment with toe lift on your front binding, and heel lift on your back binding. The toe lift should help with the front quad burn. This will also allow you to widen your stance a little, which will give you better balance.

I don't know if I'd recommend it, but I ride with my boots in walk mode quite a bit. That way I'm not locked into a forward lean and I can stand up when I need to. I also ski with my boots in walk mode.... maybe I'm too lazy to change the settings and lock it in, but it is nice to be able to stand up straight when I want to!

I agree with Jack and Pat's suggestions:

Toe lift on the front foot (and/or) along with making sure that your front foot's forward lean is adjusted to be more upright than your rear boot. Sportlegs work : I was was skeptical about these but they really are quite incredible. Camelbak works too if you can find one that works for you. How wide is your stance?

Ok, now I'm on the longer Sims. Toe lift helped. Now I think I really like this. Toe side seems easy to lock in an edge. But the heel side seems to want to wash out. On the toe side it seems like pressure on the rear boot gets it to carve. But pressure on the front boot does not seem to get the heel side to carve as easily. Speed helps a lot.

So I rode again this afternoon. Softer snow up higher on the mountain. Now I went back and read some of the tech articles again. Now they make sense. I can't wait to get back on the board again.

I tink that I am looking at the fall line on the heel side and that's why I am washing out.

I'm going to email the tech articles to my cell phone so I can read them on the lift.

Awesome :) :biggthump

unlike the traditional softboot style of the "heelside squat on the toilet" move, when on your carver you will need to keep your hips under you more and angulate the edges with your upper body.

It will all make sense the more you ride and watching YOUTUBE videos helps too :)

Glad U are lovin it!

It is definitely an amazing feeling when the edge locks in and the board just rides a rail. I just need to make it do that reliably on the heelside. I was already doing crossovers on my soft setup, but I did a couple today over the top of a small rise. Coooool. And I thought I was obsessed with regular snowboarding... This is sick...

It's like something just clicked. Two and a half days and it just happened. I am not laying out on the snow yet, but toe side and heel side carves. I'm not sure if i'm doing crossovers or unders, but that float and bit of air between carves. Riding the down hill edge.

I am wondering what vintage this Sims Premium 167 is and was it a race board? Is there something out there better suited to my weight? (dumb question). Something that does not need to be going 900 mph to carve? Ski patrol kept telling me to slow down.